Finding a new Apartment or House to Rent - (Oahu,HI)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 04:09 PM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN
Finding a new Apartment or House to Rent - (Oahu,HI)

So I figured I'd poll you guys for some help & suggestions -

Im currently in downtown hon off the pali, living about 2 blocks from my main office (where i'm to be inevitably transferred) - Im tired of my current apartment for a very few but very annoying reasons; living in a tower type condo sucks for a)crap elevators and wait times b)multi level garage (secured is good but..) speed bumps for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. c) washing/maintaining/working on my car is impossible.

the apt is great, well kept and was renovated before my move in, so new-to-me.

what i'd ideally want is a nice place, 2 bedroom would be nice for guests/visitors/my extra crap or projects, and close to downtown - so i can walk/bike or scoot to work
would prefer a house w/a garage or carport
or at least a place to wash the car / work on projects

TL;DR

i'm using padmapper so far - any other suggestions other than CL?
Old 10-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Car Info: VF39'd EWG bugeye/ 99' Miata
Unfortunately you won't be getting any of that goodness downtown, if you were open to the west side theres a lot out here for cheap
Old 10-12-2011, 05:33 PM

i knowwwww man the best rates for homes are on the west - but it's just the commute... right now i could wake up and be at work in 10 mins... great convenience; a short bike ride would be okay, but it's the lack of car wash / maintenance space that kills me. a lanai would be great, w/d in unit would be great... eh.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:48 PM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
HiCentral has some listings CL doesn't, but Cl is really the one with the most.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:04 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
I would be looking in the salt lake/ pearl city area tbh. Anywhere even close to downtown with those kind of ammenities will be $$$. Also, more likely to be whole house rentals which I don't think you are looking for. Most of the properties I see pop up for sale that are advertised as income property ( rentals ) are in the salt lake / pearl city area. 400-600k, 3-5k/ month net rents depending on how many subdivisions and rooms. Now this is for a HOUSE type rental. I know there are apartments around downtown that have facilities like those you are describing, however, they are more likely to be condo board/owner units, since that type of community property is more expensive.

If I were you, I would continue with CL, but maybe just go take a drive in/around the area between S Judd street and N Kuikini street looking for rentals. Also, kalihi area. I often see that many people just have signs up and don't bother with CL for whatever reason.

As mentioned before, west side is the holy grail for what you are looking for. Reasonable rents, lots of duplex/triplex buildings with carport/garage area. The biggest reason that is just about the only area you will find what you are looking for is because it is new development ( past 10 years ) whereas the areas around downtown are old development and at most have a carport.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:22 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
This is a military site but the places are aaight. Www.ahrn.com. Some good listings but when I moved 17 days ago I found a place on cl, took a tour, loved it, signed a lease later that day, dropped my 28 day notice at old place, paid my $2800 security deposit $933 rest of sept rent, then $1400 oct rent and still paid my $2040 on the old place. **** gets expensive if you find a spot with competition! Sooo currently rocking two places
Old 10-12-2011, 08:32 PM

Thanks for the advice guys - i'll try those methods; Pearl City might not be a bad bet, still a straight shot down kam into downtown via moped; I suppose I could trade car wash facility for zero commute though...

a whole house rental would be fine with me if i could afford it lol; but downtown rates run around 1500~mo which isnt cheap at all..
Old 10-13-2011, 02:52 AM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
This dude must be livin at 55 Kukui by the sound of things! Or the Honda BLDG...Place your bets!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by tesh
Thanks for the advice guys - i'll try those methods; Pearl City might not be a bad bet, still a straight shot down kam into downtown via moped; I suppose I could trade car wash facility for zero commute though...

a whole house rental would be fine with me if i could afford it lol; but downtown rates run around 1500~mo which isnt cheap at all..
Screw that...I would trade car wash facility for that commute from hell. No idea how you crazy bastards do that every day. Last time we visited and got stuck in the going home traffic on the way to Carissa's uncle's house (Royal Kunia), reminded me why I love living here in WA so much.

My commute is 5 minutes, zero traffic (unless catastrophic accident) and live in a big house for $1,120 rent. The only way we'd come home is if we were making $$$Texas and got a place in like Manoa or Nuuanu.

Last edited by bpang1; 10-13-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:18 PM

@ superseaturtle scary accurate man lol, you know the isle well im guessing

@bpang agreed - the reason i continue to live there is because commute is 5-10 mins tops (35 on teh way home unfortunately) but overall i'll be walking to work next month; moving might never be an option :-/
Old 10-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
Commute to work would be a big deal for me if I ever decided to move. My commute now is 10 minutes, no traffic ever. I hate sitting in traffic, and I hate spending more time driving then I need to, or should I say parked.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:58 AM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
ya I'm with everyone on "traffic/parking lots"
Can't stand waiting. Thankfully, even though my commute is 35-45 minutes one way, its all freeway and no traffic usually. Kailua-Schoffield(wheeler). I used to work downtown, that was the biggest pain evar! 1 hour to drive over the pali in bumper/bumper the entire way. I'll never do that again.

Good luck on a place, and take the traffic concerns heavily, it wears on you rather fast.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by tesh
@ superseaturtle scary accurate man lol, you know the isle well im guessing

@bpang agreed - the reason i continue to live there is because commute is 5-10 mins tops (35 on teh way home unfortunately) but overall i'll be walking to work next month; moving might never be an option :-/
Yeah I guess if we ever came home and had to buy a place out on the west side...I'd have to be workign somewhere out there or have a helicopter.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:34 AM

yeah - traffic is the big deal killer; unless i can find something in manoa/palolo and maybe as far as kaimuki (by scooter at that point) i guess i'm going to stay put, walking to work = no getting the car dirty = less frequent (inconvenient) washing haha
Old 10-20-2011, 04:02 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
how much are you willing to spend? manoa is uber expensive with all the students from uh trying to rent, and kaimuki is a bit expensive as well..
I live in Kaimuki and still takes me 30+ minutes to get to work and more than that to get home. I work at Shafter.

Quick Reply: Finding a new Apartment or House to Rent - (Oahu,HI)