Finally Getting Recon!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 PM

Car Info: 2008 Mercedes E350
Finally Getting Recon!

Just got off the phone with recon, after like 20 times of trying...

Would I pass with TEIN Flexes set at the softest setting with my EDFC? Is FMIC an issue? What else should I be worried about?? I know the legal height is 22". Any help would be appreciated
Old 04-15-2008, 02:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
If you have fogs or license plate make sure they are up above that 22" or whatever is in the rules. If you get the haole skinny guy in his late 40's with Magnum PI mustache he is really nice and points out stuff you can quickly change to pass.

Make sure your stickers are in the correct positions next to the license plate (those sticker holders that go on your bumper underside DO NOT COUNT.

If possible, RAISE YOUR CAR to give your shocks more stroke plus it'll raise anything else that could be considered too low on the car. Even if you have OEM fogs they now count under Recon rules as though they were aftermarket so get them up.

Make sure to dress "Professional" Aloha Shirt and Slacks...they usually cut some slack to adult looking people rather than all the ballas and homies. Be courteous and professional...if they do fail you don't whine just ask them what needs to be fixed and go back after you fix it.

Make sure to list EVERYTHING even things that cops haven't cited you for (assuming a ticket) just so you'll be free and clear next time.

FUNNY STORY:

If you guys remember that one kid in the Red 240 setup for drifting that had his front wheel come off at Auto-X (the wheel kept rolling into the bushes while his front end crushed his oil pan, tranny, etc.), he was the person right behind me at Recon...he passed, so you can tell that they'll let many things pass if you come correct (his dad was there and did the talking since it was technically his car).

Last edited by bpang1; 04-15-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by bpang1
Make sure to dress "Professional" Aloha Shirt and Slacks...they usually cut some slack to adult looking people rather than all the ballas and homies.
Haha that shouldnt be a problem, I'll be going straight there after work and we have collar shirt/slacks dress code at work, And I dont have fogs, its covered up with fog light covers
Old 04-15-2008, 02:43 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Don't forget that you need a recent wheel alignment also. I passed with my Tein SS-P's, but barely. Even on the softest settings, I could barely "bounce" it. I failed on my first attempt, since my H/L's had been cleared out, and the previous owner took out the side reflectors. Luckily Walter swapped lights with me, I went back after correcting the problem, and passed. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:50 PM

Yea Ken said he'll do my alignment for free before I go for recon
Old 04-15-2008, 07:20 PM

Car Info: a pickup truck with a gun rack.
wasnt a law recently passed earlier this year saying that as long as the license plate in on the front end it doesnt matter where/height? & im pretty sure those safety check plates are legal now as long as they are on the far right side of the bumper.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:34 PM

Car Info: 2013 WRX (wagonmafia)
i heard that too

http://preludehawaii.com/forum/showt...t=7983&page=21

http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/sessio...ls/HB1427_.htm

so when they do that bounce test... is your ride height higher than usual or will a 2'' or lower work as well?
Old 04-15-2008, 09:21 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
I had the gentlemen Blake was referring to, yes he is cool. He understood that even stock STis are very firm. I have Zero 2e coilovers on and went in on the softest setting. There is give, but not the two inches he was looking for, he took in the factory stiffness of the STi in consideration. The only thing I didn't pass for was the location of my safety tags, it was next to my plates. He said that I could get a plate for it but it needed to be on the right side of the bumper. I just had them moved to the bumper as I didn't like the look of a plate on the right-side.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:37 PM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
ho i cant wait to get mine im gonna go straight to waiks and cruise em HARD im gonna stroll through like a hundred times and just laugh my azz off when i get pulled over
Old 04-15-2008, 11:41 PM

Car Info: S14
hey Dom dont you got jdm headlights? i dont think youll pass, you need the orange reflectors in the headlights jus like what Brandon said, and i dont think your front mount will pass either since you got no bumper beam, jus a heads up
Old 04-15-2008, 11:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
it's really not that hard to pass. just go there with a great attitude. i had 2 cars that i brought in for recon already including my sti recently, and they both passed the first time. of course, i was wearing my uniform and it turns out the this inspector dude has a brother that works for the same company that i work for, so i don't know if that helped, but i surely capitalized on it....

but like bran said, the "bounce" test is always tricky. just push with all your might!
Old 04-16-2008, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by inspire420
hey Dom dont you got jdm headlights? i dont think youll pass, you need the orange reflectors in the headlights jus like what Brandon said, and i dont think your front mount will pass either since you got no bumper beam, jus a heads up
Nah the front mount got bumper beam, the Perrin FMICs come with it, but JDM Headlights... hmm that might be a problem lol
Old 04-16-2008, 12:56 AM

Car Info: S14
yea the bumper support that you get with the fmic.....really isnt considered a bumper support, its basically jus a piece of bar. to be honest it really isnt even legal, its for off road use only. lets say you get into an front end collision(God forbid) if your insurance company sees that thers no bumper support, and wants to be a dick about it (which most are) they dont have to and most likely wont cover you so yea jus a heads up, good luck though, jus looking out for yea
Old 04-16-2008, 02:50 AM

Yea I hope I can pass recon while having to swap out my FMIC... thats gonna be such a *****, Walt you wanna switch headlights for a couple days before i do this? ^^^
Old 05-11-2008, 09:20 PM

Oh **** can you believe my recon appointment is tomorrow already? At least I washed car just now, maybe the shiny looks will keep the inspector distracted

Quick Reply: Finally Getting Recon!