A few insights...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 11:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
A few insights...

Okay, well everyone seems to know me on here, and I am sure everyone knows of the problems I have had with my car. I've had a one Subaru or another for 2 years now. Since I would guess that I have spent more than any other STi on Hawaii, Carlos comming in a close second I want to make some suggestions. Take them or leave them, and Moderators this may be a good thread for a sticky. Keep in mind this is all my opinion. Much of this advice was given to me by some veteran's, so I'll just put it in one easy to find area. None of this applies if you want to let your inner rice out like Andrew...

Power wise, you don't need more than a Turbo-back, and possibly an some type of engine reflash. WRX owners need an Up-pipe also.

Uprade in this order:

1st and most important: Learn to drive your car. This means go to the track, push your limits as a driver. You won't even touch the cars limits for a long time. (I mostly ignored this one, but I have been making up for it as soon as I found out about the track.) Like Mike (18hrwrx) told me my first autocross, don't try to impress anyone, go for fun and for self improvement. Seat time is the best mod to speed up your times. Do not blame your car for going slow (unless you are having problems with power like me).

2nd: Brakes, it is more important to stop than anything else. What good does it do you to run 10's in the 1/4 if you can't keep from crashing into the walls. STi brakes are good stock, but add Stainless lines, a MBC brace, and new pads. Rotors are optional. WRX owners, go for some after market 3rd party upgrade to 4 pot calipers for front, and two pot's in the rear. Do your research and buy good products, but don't pay for the name. I.E. Rotora makes Stoptech, so they are the same thing, but stoptechs cost a lot more.

3rd: Suspension, do not buy S.Tech's. They suck for anything other than cruising down the road in a mellow straight line. STi's are good, but can use some work. Coilovers make the biggest difference. Sway bars are a great way to give you less understeer, and make your car turn in like a beut. ALK are great. Steering rack bushing are the best mod for the money. Strut tower bars are a nice way to further stiffen the car up, but they don't make a huge difference. The Cusco V-Brace is a must, It really makes a big difference.

4th: Power wise, you don't need more than a Turbo-back, and possibly an some type of engine reflash. WRX owners need an Up-pipe also. I'm sure though that everyone will throw an exhaust on as one of their first mods. If you feel that you MUST have more power. Then if at all possible upgrade in stages to avoid large problems that are hard to trouble shoot.

-You don't need a BOV, or an intake. I still prefer both my stock intake, and my stock BOV.

-Don't waste money on some stupid wheels, just buy some Rota's. They are great and at $700 you can afford to bend or damage them.

-KDW 2's are the best tire I've yet to drive on for the street. I don't have enough track experience to comment on track tires.

I don't know if I left anything out or if anyone cares. I hope this helps someone.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:01 AM

Car Info: 2011 White Forester.
Thumbs up

Thanks for Sharing!

I don't go to track at all, but you made some very good points!
"Know how to drive is a MUST, know your car too"

I enjoy driving my STI as a daily ride (commute work routine)... ie learn how to drive well in this freaking hawaiian traffic... and avoid crazy drivers...j/k

Appreciate your sharings and advices. I know now what to expect buying for my car if time comes to invest...

Mahalo
Old 01-20-2005, 12:14 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
Driver improvement is a great first mod. Most people out there will never realize the potential of their cars. Also, I must add, learning how your car behaves on a track and how to control it will help you in the real world also (this does not mean drive on the freeway like you do on a track).

Good tires are what will put all the rest of the mods into effect. What good is a great suspension/power mods/brakes if your tires cannot effectively transfer all of this to the ground properly?

Have lots of extra money if you decide to track your car. You have to pay to play. Tires, fluids, and parts cost money. It also helps if you have a beater in case your Suby (or other car) gets put out of commission.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:25 AM

Car Info: cars
Originally Posted by keirnna
1st and most important: Learn to drive your car.
this is why i've resisted the urge to upgrade my suspension and tires.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
I have driven hard on the following tires: Geolanders, RE-92's, KDW 2's, Eagle F1-DS's, and the yokohamas that come stock on the RS. I have to say that while tire make a big difference people tend to blame them for things. Including myself I'm sure. With the right tire pressure , and driving most tires will give you the grip needed. I think the better tires will be more forgiving though. Ty the stock tires are very good on the STi, and I don't think changing to another street tire is going to throw you off of your "game." I used my stock tires until there was 0 tread left, and large rubber chunks were falling off of them.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:15 AM

I would also include: Have a plan or goal and stick to it.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:38 AM

Car Info: cars
i'm definitely sticking with the stock tires for now. better to learn how to drive your car stock, then you'll appreciate and utilize future mods better.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:40 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
Good points sad to say some poeple learn the hard way..
Old 01-20-2005, 11:53 AM

Hang in there nate it will be worth all the heart ache in the end. I almost gave up and would have never been able to run consistent 12's (without destroying my clutch) and now you have to listen to some of the same stuff you preached to me. My car is almost there and if i ever get the courage to to launches like some people do (you know who) my car will fly down the 1/4 mile. I'm begining to love my set up and you will too once its figured out.
Old 01-20-2005, 01:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Hey also, going to the track gives you insight unto what you need to do to your car to get it to drive the way you like it.

My first time at Auto-x was a blast and also a humbling experience. I may be a good driver in terms of everyday stuff but I have a lot to learn about taking a car to it's limits!