a few good things i learned this week

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:21 PM

Post a few good things i learned this week

1. this is the first time i picked up a set of coilovers with helper springs. they are incredibly comfortable and rather competitive at the same time. coilovers with helper springs is just your basic type of coilover (strut, spring, tophat/camber plate) but with an addition of a spring seat (which goes over the main spring) and a helper spring (which goes over that before the top hat/camber plate). it helps with the dampening and the ride is so much IMO than most coilovers that i have personally tried on my car. (pls, no one get offended by my statements, IM JUST PUTTING IN MY TWO CENTS, feel free to add any comments, objections or violent reactions)
an example of coilovers with helper springs would be the tanabe pro s-oc

the only thing you have to worry about with this type of coilovers is that the spring seat (between the main spring and the helper spring) needs to be seated properly and sometimes in some occasions lubed to avoid an unsmooth turn in the front in specific. i ran into this problem and thanks to kai, that sound is gone! it sounds like a *thud when you turn side to side. very irritating.

2. for anyone with a wrx/aftermaket wing. i've been running my prodrive wing for some time now and wanted to get a set of sti torsion rods for the trunk for it to open a little bit more smoother. my wing is just as heavy as a regular wrx wing, but is taller and and carries more wait to the rear of the trunk.

so i thought it be a great idea to use only one sti torsion rod. so i put one on and noticed a dramatic change. my wing was so much lighter to pull up and closes much easier. after a while, i started to hear a tiny little rattle. i thought nothing of it at first because i thought it was just some junk in my trunk (no not my ***). what started to happen was the sti torsion rod is so much thicker that the wrx trosion rod was not supported totally in the rear creating a rattle... believe me i hate rattles. so if you want that support like an sti trunk... get both torsion rods. YOU CANNOT USE ONLY ONE UNLESS YOU DONT MIND A LITTLE HIGH PITCHED RATTLE THAT SOUNDS LIKE 5 PENNIES IN A OLD FASHION PORCELAIN PIGGY BANK.

thats it. thought id share. HAPPY HOLIDAYS & HAVE A SAFE NEW YEAR.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:50 PM

Car Info: 05 CGM RS
You can always use a piece of rubber or dynamat to make that rattle go away
Old 12-29-2006, 09:16 PM

Car Info: 05 wrb wrx wagon
glad you like the coilovers, mark. my dad told me to grease them up when i first installed them, and of course being "the kid in a candy shop cause i got coilovers for my car!", i just drove with that creaking noise whenever i turned. haha. did you mess with the rear pillowball mounts any?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:45 PM

Talking =)`

Originally Posted by axngurl808
You can always use a piece of rubber or dynamat to make that rattle go away
i thought of that too... good point, but the trunk was misaligned by the sti torsion bar. im pretty **** about the alignment of it. =). ill probably end up trying to put two sti torsion bars and hope my trunk doesnt fly open. =)

thanks kai. it went away... the helper springs are very positional and like a "sweet spot" they also need to be lubed. i think i cleaned all the lube that you put on when i first got them.