exhaust questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 10:03 AM

Unhappy exhaust questions

Well I just moved out of Hawaii and I am now in the DC area. Unfortunately Virginia has emissions laws. Right now my car has no cats at all and a large noisy exhaust. ( I am John the guy with the 02 silver wagon with a blitz FMIC). I was thinking of going with the borla hush with a highflow cat. I was wondering how much this would effect the performance, cause my car in a TXC stage 4 and it is tuned. Also does anyone know if the borla is louder than lets say vishnu's mufflers? Thanks again guys...man I miss hawaii already. Take care.
Old 09-04-2004, 04:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
I'm asking as well. I thought that since no place else but CA and HI (and maybe a couple of others) were the only states to actually 'inspect' folks cars for safety or emissions that in most states' emissions laws were mainly the sort of laws that were impossible to execute.

I don't plan on changing my exhaust at all.
Old 09-04-2004, 05:48 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
Try Random Technologies EPA/50 state legal cats..Guareented to make hp..Or so they say..
Old 09-05-2004, 07:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
spooledwrx- I have owned both the Borla Hush and the Vishnu Twin-tip Catback exhaust; the Borla Hush is the quiter of the two exhausts whether you are running catalytic converters or catless. As far as running a Borla Hush w/ a catted downpipe, I just witnessed a WRX w/ a Helix Catted Downpipe and Helix Catback Exhaust being dynoed yesterday. It did lose a bit of horsepower because of the High-flow Cat (compared to running it w/ a Helix Catless Downpipe). But, the trade off was an increase in Torque. Hope this helps.

-Soren
Old 09-05-2004, 09:24 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
Another state that has enforced emissions laws is CO. In the denver metro area they have dyno tests (to include AWD Dyno) and most other major counties with large cities like Pueblo and Colorado Springs do a sniffer test.

I know that MN just has you sign your registration when you first register your car or buy it from someone to say that the emissions equipment on the car have not been tampered with. I don't think KY, or IN have laws that are enforced/enforceable, so you should be alright, Pat.

Perhaps we should try to create a master list (if one doesn't exist on the intraWEB) of states and their emissions laws. hmmm... time to go a-googling.
-Greg