Eviction of Kalaeloa Raceway Park? Support KRP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:05 PM

Car Info: 1993 RX-7/2002 Subaru WRX
Eviction of Kalaeloa Raceway Park? Support KRP!

Kalaeloa Raceway Park (KRP) is saddened to announce that earlier today, we received a 30-day Notice of Eviction from the Department of Hawaiian Homelands (DHHL) "Without Reason" per Linda Chinn.

Everyone on the Kalaeloa Raceway Park Project team is shocked by this letter. No reason or cause was given by DHHL on why we are being evicted nor have there been any indications that we were to be evicted or that our team has done anything to warrant this.

This comes on the heel of our inaugural events which were by all accounts very successful with over 4,000+ spectators in attendance in addition to the widespread acclaim and news coverage. DHHL attended our first SCCA Rally and indicated that no problems were noted during their "due diligence".

As a team, we have strived for the past three years to create a positive, community-driven facility that provides a much needed home for our displaced motorsports enthusiasts. Literally, thousands of volunteer man-hours and money as well as blood, sweat, and tears have gone into this project since the closure of Hawaii Raceway Park. In August, we were given the full go ahead by DHHL to open the park for business and did so with great joy in our hearts. To be evicted now, under two months from our grand opening has left us stunned.

We do not know if this is politically motivated or due to the constant harassment by a very small, minority group of individuals, but the loss of another motorsports facility after the closure of Hawaii Raceway Park is an idea we cannot bear to fathom.

As a team, we intend to fight this eviction notice, and ask that all supporters, enthusiasts, and fans to join with us in support of Kalaeloa Raceway Park. Due to this hostile climate, we have enlisted the services of an attorney and will be taking the steps necessary to protect this volunteer effort as much as possible in an effort to continue this public service for our community.

If you support Kalaeloa Raceway Park, please attend the DHHL Commission Meeting and voice your thoughts on this injustice. The date is yet to be finalized but we will have it announced once we get final clarification. It will be either the 18th or 19th of this month. An official press release will be sent out as soon as we confirm the date.

Their address is:
Hale Kalaniana'ole
91-5420 Kapolei Parkway
Kapolei, HI 96707

In addition, a Letter of Support can be sent or faxed to our attorney, Mr. Gary Shigemura at the following address:

Law Offices of Gary Y. Shigemura
Topa Financial Center
745 Fort St, Ste.700
Honolulu, HI. 96813
Fax # 537-9430

A template maybe found at the official KRP website (www.kalaeloaracewaypark.com) by clicking on the SUPPORT! banner on the homepage.

This is a very dark time for our motorsports community. We will meet this challenge head-on, and are committed to continuing our efforts to provide a place to race as we have every step of the way in this journey. We hope that our supporters will join us in defense of Kalaeloa Raceway Park. In the meantime, all events will continue as planned.

Mahalo,

Michael Kitchens,
Volunteer Track Coordinator
& Public Relations
Old 10-12-2010, 09:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
damn, this sucks! just when we thought we've finally got another racetrack. i wonder if we can all get together and sign a petition letter? Any good scribes here who can draft one before the AUW cruise? It would be nice to put it out at our registration desk for those who want to sign it.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:45 PM

We'll have a petition at the Saturday KRP event. More info to come...we're just now getting a hold of the situation.

We do need as many people at the meeting as we can muster. We need to swarm them with people so they know exactly how many people are upset about this. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 PM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
What the fahk?! We will NOT let this happen!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Maaaaaaaan, that is JUNK!!! It's almost like the state WANTS street racing!
Just can't figure out what the politicos are thinking.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:43 PM

Car Info: 03 subaru wrx
Oh wow, This is lame. I wish i could attend the meeting but sadly i will be doing an exercise but i will try to support in any way possible. This isn't cool at all.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:44 PM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Maaaaaaaan, that is JUNK!!! It's almost like the state WANTS street racing!
Just can't figure out what the politicos are thinking.
It's not necessarily the politicians, its the (just as) twisted individuals/companies putting in their pockets that are pulling the strings here in "paradise".

But I digress, I will make an effort to attend this meeting if I can!
Old 10-12-2010, 11:12 PM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
I'm at a lost for words....this upsets me ALOT. I've already requested the 16th to the 18th off for the AUW cruise. So, if the DHHL Commission Meeting is on the 18th, rest assured, I'll be there.

God bless you Mike for your efforts to keep the local motorsports community alive.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:23 PM

Thanks all. Please come on down if you can...and please pass the message on.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by touge-n00b
It's not necessarily the politicians, its the (just as) twisted individuals/companies putting in their pockets that are pulling the strings here in "paradise".

But I digress, I will make an effort to attend this meeting if I can!
What are politicians but representatives of their constituents, right?
Definitely lots of issues and a distinct lack of aloha in the Aloha State sometimes, but I guess it's just the modern times we live in.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:38 PM

Car Info: 1999 Mazda Miata
i hope the meeting is at night
Old 10-13-2010, 12:07 AM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
I will be at the meeting and will send a letter sometime this week.

And the "the state wants street racing" comment.. It's true. More irresponsible drivers = more tickets = MO' MONEY!!
Old 10-13-2010, 02:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
wow somebody really has a bug up their 5th point of contact about motor sports in Oahu.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:49 AM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
DHHL is pretty flaky to pull this stunt after only a month.
Old 10-13-2010, 11:36 AM

I agree, it is. Espescially after the hard work that's been put into it. If any of you can make plans to attend the Commission meeting, this is where it will all be laid out. We're not sure if the Commission actually knows we've been evicted, or for what grounds. If not, if you can please write a letter and send it to the Attorney, it will be extremely helpful. We have to drown out the anti-track voices. DHHL only received 10 positive letters vs their 3 or negative ones. last time we asked for people to help. I think that's why it hasn't gone in our favor.

Quick Reply: Eviction of Kalaeloa Raceway Park? Support KRP!