Enter "Kimbo Slice"

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 07:31 PM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
i dont know where you guys get off stating uninportant facts like age!! age has nothing to do with the skill or the chance of a fighter doing well!! just remember who the real ufc heavyweight champion is!!!!! hes 41 years old and has a chance against ANY heavyweight!!!!! well except maybe fador but weather or not either one of those guys will fight again remains to be seen!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 09:15 PM

Car Info: ghey e-rights activist
Randy Catour--SP? He's a beast. But Ladell owned him.
As for Kimbo, some good underground fights and videos, but the reality is he would get owned in teh UFC
Old 06-01-2008, 09:29 PM

yeah chuck owned him twice!! but he owned the supposedly best heavyweight striker in mma at his own game oh at 41 years old at that!! theres soooo many good mma guys no ones even heard of yet that its a shame everyone gives kimbo all this attention cause the real fact is he only stands a chance against a striker if he goes up against ANY heavyweight out there today with a solid ground game kimbos dead!!!!! i thin they should put him in against framk mir!!!! that would be entertaining!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:09 AM

i was actually suprised kimbo won last night...that british guy is a beast!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by alienbreed69
i dont know where you guys get off stating uninportant facts like age!! age has nothing to do with the skill or the chance of a fighter doing well!! just remember who the real ufc heavyweight champion is!!!!! hes 41 years old and has a chance against ANY heavyweight!!!!! well except maybe fador but weather or not either one of those guys will fight again remains to be seen!!!
You're eating the tripe that you UFC fed you. Couture's quite good, but far from being the greatest and VERY far from being the best hw striker in the game. What I can say about Couture is, he's definitely bucked the trend by getting better as he gets older, but mind you he's the only fighter I've ever seen that's been able to pull that off. Look at all the victims of age: Chuck Lidell, Mark Coleman, Dan Severn, Wanderlei Silva, Sakuraba Kazushi, Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock, Mark Kerr, Funaki Masakatsu, Yoshida Hidehiko... I could go on forever about how age affects athletes, especially in a sport as demanding as MMA. About the only other fighter I can think of that bucks the aging trend besides Couture is Tamura Kiyoshi.

And lest any of us forget, good ol' local boy Enson Inoue tapped Randy Couture out back in the day!
Old 06-02-2008, 01:14 AM

nah i dont eat tripe i just know randy personaly,,,,, and he has definately gotten better with age which i definately will agree hasent happened to many in any physically demanding sport ie. football hockey boxing mma and so on but then again i may be bias so........and i never said he was the best striking heavy weight just that he beat the supposed best heavyweight striker in mma being tim sylvia and that is something pretty much amazing especially if you watch the fight real good ...DAMN good fight!! and i must say that imho being in your 30s should be the prime of your life especially mid to late 30s it should be your strongest and most alert times in your life and with mma you never know what the heck can happen everyone loses at some point and kimbo may someday soon learn a little bit of ground game and be a force to be reckon with.......... i seriously doubt it but hey you never know......
Old 06-02-2008, 04:15 AM

Car Info: camber toe
A.....hows this one......Quintin "Rampage" Jackson VS Kimbo Slice. Now hows dat one. LMK what you think for this is only a sizeup
Old 06-02-2008, 07:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Kimbo's a POS. He'd get destroyed in a real MMA fight. This was a huge step backwards for MMA. Back to the days of UFC 1. I'll stick with WEC and UFC.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
You're eating the tripe that you UFC fed you. Couture's quite good, but far from being the greatest and VERY far from being the best hw striker in the game. What I can say about Couture is, he's definitely bucked the trend by getting better as he gets older, but mind you he's the only fighter I've ever seen that's been able to pull that off. Look at all the victims of age: Chuck Lidell, Mark Coleman, Dan Severn, Wanderlei Silva, Sakuraba Kazushi, Royce Gracie, Ken Shamrock, Mark Kerr, Funaki Masakatsu, Yoshida Hidehiko... I could go on forever about how age affects athletes, especially in a sport as demanding as MMA. About the only other fighter I can think of that bucks the aging trend besides Couture is Tamura Kiyoshi.

And lest any of us forget, good ol' local boy Enson Inoue tapped Randy Couture out back in the day!
Word...Couture is the exception to the rule.

Plus, he beats guys with his brains by planning and executing. Most of the younger dudes get by moreso on talent and athleticism but when faced with a true tactical fighter their abilities can be limited.

However, I wouldn't consider Kimbo anywhere near Couture's knowledge level. Also, since he's old he'll only have maybe 5 years of peak physical ability left in him so I don't think he'll develop the knowledge and skills soon enough to make use of them.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:19 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by alienbreed69
nah i dont eat tripe i just know randy personaly,,,,, and he has definately gotten better with age which i definately will agree hasent happened to many in any physically demanding sport ie. football hockey boxing mma and so on but then again i may be bias so........and i never said he was the best striking heavy weight just that he beat the supposed best heavyweight striker in mma being tim sylvia and that is something pretty much amazing especially if you watch the fight real good ...DAMN good fight!! and i must say that imho being in your 30s should be the prime of your life especially mid to late 30s it should be your strongest and most alert times in your life and with mma you never know what the heck can happen everyone loses at some point and kimbo may someday soon learn a little bit of ground game and be a force to be reckon with.......... i seriously doubt it but hey you never know......
D'oh, must've misread your sentence about HW strikers. Although, Tim Sylvia is like a slower, American version of Semmy Schilt haha. Lots of weight behind those strikes, so much so that neither of them cares to really lean into their strikes since they KO people anyway Couture capitalized nicely on Sylvia's sloth, and that reflects Couture's presence of mind since most UFC HW's just walked into the mind grinder instead.

I tell you though, Mark Hunt is a striking monster! In fact, I think Kimbo vs. Mark Hunt would be blast... literally!

As for being in your 30s, it seems like 37 is about the cutoff for lots of athletes in any sport. 37 seems to be that first year that you start going downhill, especially in terms of responsiveness and "twitch" reactions. That's why fighters that rely heavily on these things (as opposed to more technically oriented fighters) seem to eat it the worst when they get into their late 30s: most illustrative of this point is Chuck Lidell.

So going back to Kimbo, considering that he is 32 and that he's a "twitch" fighter, my argument is, how much can he accomplish in about 5 years? Gatekeeper at best, IMHO.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:25 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bpang1
Plus, he beats guys with his brains by planning and executing. Most of the younger dudes get by moreso on talent and athleticism but when faced with a true tactical fighter their abilities can be limited.
That's why Couture vs. Fedor would be a great match! They're both very cerebral fighters with excellent physical abilities to match. It might just be a fight to top the match that Fedor has against Crocop (who can be a very cerebral fighter but seems to have a lack of "fighting spirit" or willpower in about 1/4 of his fights -- you can usually tell during his ring-in by just looking at his face, e.g. vs. Josh Barnett 1&2, vs. Mark Hunt, vs. Gonzaga)
Old 06-02-2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
That's why Couture vs. Fedor would be a great match! They're both very cerebral fighters with excellent physical abilities to match. It might just be a fight to top the match that Fedor has against Crocop (who can be a very cerebral fighter but seems to have a lack of "fighting spirit" or willpower in about 1/4 of his fights -- you can usually tell during his ring-in by just looking at his face, e.g. vs. Josh Barnett 1&2, vs. Mark Hunt, vs. Gonzaga)
word!!! honestly though even though i like randy alot ive known him for about 15 years and he is such a great guy it hurts to say......fador would seriously destroy pretty much any heavyweight including randy!! fador is a frickin beast with a super solid chin!!!! oh and as far as a rampage against kimbo fight......wont happen kimbo is waaay to big for rampage!! quintin would never be able to fight as a heavyweight hes maxed out already although if they were to fight rampage would choke kimbo out or at least do a really good example of ground and pound kimbo would only stand a chance in a boxing match with rampage although rampage has probably the most SOLID chin in mma and you cant argue that just watch the vanderlei silva fight with him rampage took the most heavy knees to the chin ive ever seen and still wanted to keep fighting...... well until he fell down hahahaha
Old 06-02-2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by pimpsawse
A.....hows this one......Quintin "Rampage" Jackson VS Kimbo Slice. Now hows dat one. LMK what you think for this is only a sizeup
Rampage would eat him alive. All Kimbo does is throw punches. This is the same guy who just owned the Iceman.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:53 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by AngrySubyWagon
Rampage would eat him alive. All Kimbo does is throw punches. This is the same guy who just owned the Iceman.
I don't know about that... Thirty pounds difference can make a huge difference in a fight, especially in terms of striking, takedowns, and ground control. Also, Kimbo actually some pretty good boxing technique to go with his tremendous hand power: note how he alternates working the head body to draw an opponent's guard in different directions and thus creates openings. Additionally, we saw in his against Thomson that Kimbo is starting to develop a sprawl and some semblance of ground control and maybe even a little ground and pound as well. Of course, I wouldn't expect him to gogoplata anyone soon
Old 06-02-2008, 09:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Well sometimes skill can overcome weight...BJ Penn for instance.

Though I'm not sure about 30 pounds.

Quick Reply: Enter "Kimbo Slice"