EM choices?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 01:25 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
EM choices?

Hey, got the mod bug again, been buying some parts here and there. I just wanna know with the arrival of a dyno for actual tuning, how many people are gonna utilize this? Oh yeah and is Mario still around? Curious as to who else is using the hydra.
Post up your thoughts, since i plan to reach a decision by the end of the year for a project.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:13 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Been happy with my AP...

Hey Chris,

I've had my AP since my car was about 3mo. old...it's worked really well and since we discovered PDX Tuning...it's been that much better...the protune maps they sent me woke my engine up dramatically...the feeling was like going from a stock exhaust to full turbo back...remember that feeling...anyhow, been real happy...

I guess my concern with RAD is that they may have gotten an awd dyno...but who is doing the tuning? Now if Ryan was there, I would feel much more comfortable about taking my vehicle in to be tuned...he does his studying and does the "right" thing...I would hope RAD is either acquiring a certified tuner for specific EM's or sending people to get certified...it will be a long time before I bring my car to them...

I've heard lots of good things about the Hydra but it is definitely something you are going to have to be involved with...with hydra tuners few and far between, I think you will be taking a crash course on tuning your own car...I guess it's a time thing...I wish I had more time to tune my own car (learn how to), but my kids are my priority...their activites supercede my car's needs...so once again the AP works for me..I don't have much experience with ECUTEK or UTEC...Bobby and Dale can probably chime in on those...
Old 09-18-2006, 09:19 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
well Chris, since you you own an AP already but it's not the street tuner version we only have to use the maps available on cobbs website!

I was thinking the same thing regarding the dyno tuning. However what Brent said is right. They don't have anyone there that is experienced in tuning... Especially for Subarus.

This is definately a step in the right directions however we don't have a track so the move that they made for an AWD dyno was kinda jumping the gun.

I'm hoping as Brent mentioned that they are having people get certified. That would be a lot of lawsuits on their hands if they ****ed peoples cars up.

The Hydra looks good... but since it requires a good tune to utilitze all of it's features I'd say wait until we get confirmation about their certified services.

Jon

- Also ECUTek reflash is great but only as great as the tuner... this is the same for all EM's
Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Man...you are up early also Jon...

I'm kind of tired today...

I didn't know Chris already had an AP...

I don't know what you guys think about PDX but I do know three including myself that have benefitted from their protune maps...my cousin just got his "update" map to include his newly acquired Injen CAI...and they didn't charge him for the update...cool guys.

Anyhow, that is just another option for you prior to switching out EM's...$150 for a tune isn't bad at all...especially when they update your maps for free or for a minimal cost...
Old 09-18-2006, 10:15 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
i like the hydra by far thats the em that i will get when i can get more money till then i'm broke
Old 09-19-2006, 12:34 AM

Car Info: easystreet's ESX 344 Stage 4 Dyno Tuned
Red face

I've always been a big fan of ECUtek, and will be using it on the next ride. I think one of the best things about the ecutek is that its like having a stock brain that still learns, just with different fuel, boost, etc settings. I do however like the ap for the fact that its a plug and play and can download maps, i know we have a dyno here now but i still wont let anyone tune it til i see results lasting longer than a year or so.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:55 AM

I agree with Brent on this one. Get a protune and keep the AP. A lot of people out here have done the protune and are happy with it. I will be doing the protune as well. I would have tried the PDX Tuning if there was no AWD Dyno nor an an experienced tuner out here. The sad part is that they charge $500 for 1 map, but talking with the tuner the lowest hp gain he has on record is 12 hp and has averaged close to 23 hp each time.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
Hydra, cant go wrong with it, Its the one I will be running in December and it was recommended by someone who are Great Tuners,,,, Gadiel and Phil from Element Tunning.

Here are 3 links, where you can get all the info on this great EM.

1. http://elementtuning.com/main.htm

2. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=143

3. http://www.carmodifications.com/

Thanks... Jose
Old 09-19-2006, 10:30 PM

Car Info: vf-34'd ewg'd GDA AMS tuned!
i'm running the COBB street-TUNER on my car for about a year now.at 1st it seems a little overwhelming but after missing with it for awhile i got it down.prior to having it i had just the accessport.which is a good tool.btw as far as tuners here on the big island ,there aren't any for subi's.there are alot of guys into to hondas .so i had to greab the ball & runn with it.so far i haven't blown up my motor...so far.crossing my fingers!