electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 12:51 AM

Car Info: 2006 AW STI
electrical help

Wassup everyone! Looking for someone to help me with some electrical help. Where do you guys take your car to? I apparently am having some tail light issues which all started tonight when I remote started (& it failed) and a friend told me my tail lights were wigging out. Secondly I have defi gauges and innovate wideband thatthat have been giving me problems. III wouod like to take care of it asap so please send me your thoughts/suggestions.

Definitely need to get out and meet you all one of these days. Me being busy has been an excuse that is getting old.

Mahalo all!
Shawn
Old 10-19-2012, 02:43 AM

Car Info: 04 Java Pearl
Could you try to explain some of these issues a little better. I would suggest for the tail lights you check your fuses and maybe your connections. Maybe when the remote start failed it blew something. With the gauges its hard to understand what exactly is happening, but I would check the wiring with those. Maybe you have a bad ground or connection. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:24 AM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
Very likely poor grounding.

However, ditch any aftermarket remote start/secerurity system crap.

99% of it is chinese junk and will only cause problems. Especially if it isn't installed properly. Tap "t"s and electrical tape are clear signs of a poor install. Everytheing should be crimped, soldered, and heat shrink covered.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hi_Sti
Could you try to explain some of these issues a little better. I would suggest for the tail lights you check your fuses and maybe your connections. Maybe when the remote start failed it blew something. With the gauges its hard to understand what exactly is happening, but I would check the wiring with those. Maybe you have a bad ground or connection. Good luck.
Thanks man! I'm sorry I wasn't more detailed in my initial post, I was at the theatre waiting to watch Paranormal Activity 4 which is awesome if you want a good scare.

The gauge issue that I am having is for the Defi control box which has the record, play, etc., the wire ripped out of from the "male" side connector. This is the main plug for the Defi control box. I spliced the wire and attempted to plug the 4 wires into place as described in the Defi manual but it seems impossible. The gauges do not illuminate since this has happened.

Prior to the above issue, my ext temp gauge sensor (I believe) went out so this stopped working and I have a oil pressure gauge that was never installed and I would like to install it. I finally have the $ to fix most if not all of these issues but want to take it to a preferred shop or to someone that is familiar or willing to look at it. I feel that it is a somewhat quick and easy fix but I am not as mechanically smart as you all ha!

Thanks for your comment and suggestions!
Old 10-23-2012, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by spinplay01
Very likely poor grounding.

However, ditch any aftermarket remote start/secerurity system crap.

99% of it is chinese junk and will only cause problems. Especially if it isn't installed properly. Tap "t"s and electrical tape are clear signs of a poor install. Everytheing should be crimped, soldered, and heat shrink covered.
Hey Spinplay,

Where do you recommend me taking it? I want to get this taken care of professionally or to someone willing to take a quick look at it. I know I haven't been involved with any of the meets but would appreciate any help you could throw my way.

Thanks man!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
these all sound like pretty straight forward issues. might help if you took some pics of the issues. there aren't a lot of places you can take it to but they are out there. spinplay is also pretty proficient.

tail lights sound like a loose connector or ground.

gauges should be pretty easy to fix but get some pics

if your temp sensor is bad get a new one

oil pressure just need to follow standard install instructions

all in all sounds like a good Saturday morning project.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by 04sleeper
these all sound like pretty straight forward issues. might help if you took some pics of the issues. there aren't a lot of places you can take it to but they are out there. spinplay is also pretty proficient.

tail lights sound like a loose connector or ground.

gauges should be pretty easy to fix but get some pics

if your temp sensor is bad get a new one

oil pressure just need to follow standard install instructions

all in all sounds like a good Saturday morning project.
Hey Sleeper! I agree that it should be a somewhat easy fix. I noticed that when my lights are turned off, my third brake light and passenger brake ligt illuminates only. When my lights are turned on, my passenger (far right) bulb does not illuminate.

I assume that my wideband and oil pressure sensor went out. My wideband is active but the numbers are going out of whack! I may call innovate to see what the problem could be....

I will try to get some pics up soon. Thanks man for the advice.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:05 PM

take out the bulbs from both sides, get a q-tip and some alcohol and clean the contact points on the sockets where the bulbs were. put the bulbs back in and try it. if the contacts on the bulbs are corroded then just replace them. let us know if that worked.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:19 PM

Hey Sleeper,

It doesn't seem like it is an issue with my bulb as the bulb that I have issues with works when my lights are off and I hit the brake. Second issue, my brake light does not "brighten" as I step on the brake. When my lights are off, my brake lights work.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:12 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
Originally Posted by distinct808
Hey Sleeper,

It doesn't seem like it is an issue with my bulb as the bulb that I have issues with works when my lights are off and I hit the brake. Second issue, my brake light does not "brighten" as I step on the brake. When my lights are off, my brake lights work.
Check the brake and tail bulbs on both sides (4 bulbs total). One on each side should be dual filament. Make sure that the filaments aren't damaged. I m pretty sure that the outter bulbs should be dual filament part number 7443 and Inner bulbs should be single filament part number 7440. You can tell for sure which bulb goes where by simply looking at the contacts on the connectors.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:06 PM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
your wideband musta grounded out thus resetting your config. All the stuff on that circuit probably are linked in the groudning follow the instructions to recalibrate (involves removing from downpipe and getting a open air calibration)
Old 10-27-2012, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by distinct808
Hey Sleeper,

right but the same reason that chad suggested to check the filament is the reason you should clean the contacts. even though it works somewhat that doesn't mean it's not still shorting it out when the headlights are on.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 AM

Finally had a chance to post of a pic of my first issue. It seems simple, I just need to input these wires in to the white piece which plugs into the defi control unit. I'm sure this doesn't happen often but it seems like I would be able to gently place the wires individually into the correct order but it does not stay.

Name:  defiwireissue.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  6.1 KB
Old 10-30-2012, 03:07 AM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
You'll need to pull the connector out and re-solder the pins to the wires.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:38 AM

Thanks Deraj. Has this happened to you befor or just common sense? Lol. I was thinking i had to solder it but hoping to just wiggle it in.

Quick Reply: electrical help