door speaker wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 08:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
door speaker wiring question

hi. i finally put a deck in and front door factory wrx mids. i got my clif design x-overs and tweeters and wanted to know which wires are the best to use.

i plan to wire the amp in the trunk and run the speaker wires to the deck location to the harness that goes to the doors. i know the where the speaker plugs for the tweeters and mid are on the door. so will it be alright to take the tweeter plug in the door and put that into the crossover in the door and then spread that to the tweeter and mid? OR should i go more into the harness where the wires might be thicker?(are they?) OR take it from the mid speaker plug? i just don't to run wires through the door jamb. thanks b

ps. my antenna seems to be working fine. no more portable 1980 boom box.
Old 09-01-2003, 10:58 PM

I don't think that the wire's will be any thicker "upstream" I'd try and find a source close to where the wires come in through the jam inside the door, and tap into that. (as long as you tap into a full range signal, right ?? )

Last edited by islandx; 09-02-2003 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-01-2003, 11:11 PM

boom boxes rule.
Old 09-02-2003, 12:46 AM

Car Info: 02 RS
what wattage are you running. if you are running anything around the 50-70 watt range your stock wiring will be sufficient (18 ga). just run the wires from the amp back to the deck location. much easier that routing wires to all your doors. just make sure you mark each end of wires. i forgot to and and had to re-run the wires since i couldn't find out which was which for the 4 speakers.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:26 AM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
... you could've just used a mutimeter.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:43 AM

or the $0.50 solution, " thump " em' with a battery.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:57 AM

it was hooked up from my amp already so using the battery would of not worked. unless i disconnected the other side with was pretty much i did but since my carpet wasn't laid down i pulled out the wires since it was easy.

for a multimeter you would have to hook one wire at a time looking for which set had juice coming through it since there was no way to check for continuity. which would of been alot more work since my amp since my amp wasn't hooked up and then you would have to go back and forth checking each wire one by one.

also when you are solo the battery is sometimes hard to hear when you are in the trunk.

also labing it made it easy for tweeking and me changing my stock deck out 1 month later.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:32 AM
VIP Member

brento, that is what i planning to do, run the wires to the deck location and use the factory harness to the doors. the question was about the wires in the door. the deck location has 1 left front tweeter/speaker output. then it splits somewhere into 2 to the tweeter and mid. where does it split? in the door or before. i would've put the crossover under the deck if there was more space, but the door has a perfect pocket for it where the foam is. i am running a supposed 60 watts to each of the 4 outputs and 150? to the sub.

i will probably tap the crossover into the mid speaker factory wiring harness at the plug.

the tweeter wiring harness at the plug seems smaller than 18ga. the mid looked a little thicker. it was a little dark so i couldn't exactly tell since the GF was lowering her car.

thanks b
Old 09-02-2003, 12:08 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
Originally posted by brento
it was hooked up from my amp already so using the battery would of not worked. unless i disconnected the other side with was pretty much i did but since my carpet wasn't laid down i pulled out the wires since it was easy.

for a multimeter you would have to hook one wire at a time looking for which set had juice coming through it since there was no way to check for continuity. which would of been alot more work since my amp since my amp wasn't hooked up and then you would have to go back and forth checking each wire one by one.

also when you are solo the battery is sometimes hard to hear when you are in the trunk.

also labing it made it easy for tweeking and me changing my stock deck out 1 month later.
you would just ground one wire, or tie the two together, and then check to gnd, or for continuity.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by b_drift
the deck location has 1 left front tweeter/speaker output. then it splits somewhere into 2 to the tweeter and mid. where does it split? in the door or before. i would've put the crossover under the deck if there was more space, but the door has a perfect pocket for it where the foam is.

i will probably tap the crossover into the mid speaker factory wiring harness at the plug.
i'm not really sure but other types of cars that i've seen split in the door. usually the tweeter taps off the mid and has it on cap inline somewhere to filter out the lows.

putting the x-over in the door is the best location for trouble shooting and plus you don't have to run separate wires for each speaker to the door.

lastly yeah tap x-over into the mid wire. there it should have outputs specifically for each mid and tweeter.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Nolimit
you would just ground one wire, or tie the two together, and then check to gnd, or for continuity.
yeah i thought of twisting the wires. but it is a two step process for each wire. since i was lazy and my car was ripped apart was was easier to mark the cables which was also used for reference later when i was trouble shooting my system. it also helped when i ripped out my amp too knowing which wire to went where. much faster since i'm lazy. so over all marking each wire saved me multiple times.
Old 09-02-2003, 03:47 PM
VIP Member

cool. thanks b