door speaker / sound system upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 09:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Well I guess it's a matter of taste. Some like front staged systems and others like to have equality.

Maybe in his case focusing on the fronts for now would be better. Only because he has a limited budget to achieve great sound. If I were him, I'd spend $400 on a really top line front stage rather than $200 each for mid-level speakers.

For instance, on my 'ol Camaro I had two versions to my system. The versions differed only in my speaker choices.

1. Installed kick panels to hold 6.5" Separates and used the stock 6" X 9"s for the rears. Bought matching Kenwood speakers (yea yea Kenwood sux) but had to buy the mid level ones and not the excelon (or whatever the best were at the time) with my limited high school budget. Sounded pretty good but I listned to some better systems and was sad

2. Installed my first ever pair of MB Quart 6.5" Seps in the kick panels and left the kenwoods in just for rear fill and faded to the front. I loved it!

But again...we agree to disagree and it really depends on what your audio fetishes are. Do you like to hear the music coming at you or be surrounded by the music? Listen to a few of our systems before you make the decision...just don't listen to mine to compare to San...I don't have my front amp in yet
Old 10-13-2004, 10:46 PM

Car Info: STI
Alumapro caps are the only ones I'd recommend to anyone. I'm also running a 5 farad like San.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:10 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Schinitz!

I post a reply and it disappears! Anyway, I don't think we agree to disagree. Audio is complicated, and the more you know, the more you realize you don't know enough. Personal preference is just that, everyone has their own opinion. Front fill vs. front/rear fill is just that. Personal. I would suggest someone listen to one system with front only, then listen to the same system with front/rear fill to form an opinion. That way, you're only changing the amount of speakers, not a completely different setup. That's why I posted my numbers. Fletcher/Munson field effect, Thiele parameters, room dimensions cancelling frequencies, it's all proven, but I prefer a good "ear". I like "blind" listening tests that eliminate the "how much I spent" factor. Sometimes people justify how "good" their system sounds based on what they spent. Again, I think we probably agree on more than we disagree on. Sometimes posts come off the wrong way. Hope this one doesn't. I've been reducing all the weight I can from my car, but I won't eliminate my audio, or my air conditioning. Like acarguy said, Alumipro rules.

San
Old 10-13-2004, 11:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Uhm isn't that basically what I have up there? Oh well, sure sounds like a plan san!

Now we just gots to find two guys with the same exact stuff! LOL

HEY I LOVE ALUMAPROS TOO! Do you know anyone that has the F16 or whatever that fully break down-able one is? That sub is the mother of all subs!
Old 10-15-2004, 09:17 PM

A couple of

things. There's no need for two people to have the same setup for comparisons or front vs front/rear. I have this revolutionary device in my head unit called a fader. All else is the same except front vs front/rear. Bring a reference CD of your choosing and decide what you prefer. Should take all of 1-5 minutes. Also, acarguy and I have the Alumapro 5-farad capacitor. I personally didn't like the "mechanical" sound of the Alumapro sub, it didn't have any "warmth" IMHO. Feel free to flame, as I have donned the flame suit already.

San
Old 10-15-2004, 10:35 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
all scientifics aside-
playing music for so many years(loud mind you) i learned one important thing- everyones ears are different. our tastes are different. . and our ears capabilities of discerning quality sound are definitely different. whenever i get in someones car i am always critical to how a sound system sounds.

as for me- sound quality is important, but in the STi... its more of a balance of sound quality + lightweight and proper weight distribution. (i actually might resort to a free-air sub, just to cut weight)
don't ask me to look at my system...its still under development. . .

and Oldmansan... i'll take you up on that offer. but i might end up looking at your whole car!
*edit* in terms of warmth(alumapro)... i think you are right. paper cones rend to respond quicker, while plastic(poly) cones are slightly slower, while aluminum based cones are one of the slowest. - which i think requires more power to push effeciently.

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*

Last edited by gdogg; 10-15-2004 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:50 PM

Car Info: 2011 White Forester.
Focal?

Originally Posted by luktang
Hey Norris, where did you order it from and how much?
I think I bought them from Procarstereo.com...

Good price range...
Old 10-16-2004, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by oldmansan
I personally didn't like the "mechanical" sound of the Alumapro sub, it didn't have any "warmth" IMHO. Feel free to flame, as I have donned the flame suit already.

San
I've only heard subs from them a couple times and that was the feeling I got too. They didn't seem very musical.....but that could have something with the install, box sizes, etc.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:49 PM

San

I should check out your car sometime too. I know I asked you a long while back cuz I wanted to work on having the "ability" to have more f/r balance but I put it on the back burner. Let me know if you guys meet up sometime.
Old 10-16-2004, 09:45 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Originally Posted by iNfEk
what about if I use the spacers from innovative automotive www.iaperformance.com ?
Hmmmm, I wonder if the Impreza ones will fit into my Legacy doors? I bought a bunch of stuff over 2 years ago and still haven't installed it. I have the Inifinity Kappa 6-1/2" separates for the front, but I can't tell you how they sound since they're sitting in the box on my bedroom floor.

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Old 10-17-2004, 11:33 AM

Focals

are excellent speakers. I see others have a similar opinion on the Alumapro subs. Not my cup of tea. Anyone that wants to compare front to front/rear, my numbers are listed in this (and other) threads, or pm me. Mind you, I don't check the boards as often as I used to.

San