Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:05 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
we only a demo xt ltd with black leather. in n/a we have one coming in
Old 10-17-2009, 10:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Bran808
Good advice. The hardest part is that I don't have a fun car of my own to mod. If I still had my wagon, the temptation would be less. Being that my Forester is NA, there is little I want to do to it. Even if we buy her a Turbo one, only suspension and wheels....that's it. The good thing is that she actually does like the Forester, so that makes selling her that much easier.
Well if your forester is new'ish and you feel comfortable having her drive it with the kid...why not give her that and you get the FXT?
Old 10-17-2009, 11:58 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by bpang1
Well if your forester is new'ish and you feel comfortable having her drive it with the kid...why not give her that and you get the FXT?
Haha, I've actually entertained that thought. But then kind of felt bad thinking that I would get the shiny new toy. She deserves the new car.......but I'm just hoping to get in on the fun too...hahaha.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:31 AM
VIP Member

Haha, I've actually entertained that thought. But then kind of felt bad thinking that I would get the shiny new toy. She deserves the new car.......but I'm just hoping to get in on the fun too...hahaha.
Deep down I think you know its not a good idea to mod a car you will rarely drive and that's meant to be a family car.

Why not give her your Forester and then get something similarly priced but more fun? Then it is an equal share of the wealth? Like I wrote earlier, once the first kiddie comes (not sure if its your first) you tend to run out of fun money quickly.

I think you may know that my wife was a i-Clubber before we met. Hell she tries to convince me to get a louder exhaust all the time! Her cars will never be modded other than utility type stuff (HID lights, tint, better than OE tires, street perf. brake pads, brake lines, upgraded fluids all around, cargo org., roof racks, tow hitch, etc.) because it is supposed to be the family car. My wagon can moonlight as a family car but primarily we use her's as the family car (trips to supermarket, restaurants, Babies R Us, etc.)

Last edited by bpang1; 10-18-2009 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:50 AM

My wagon can moonlight as a family car but primarily we use her's as the family car (trips to supermarket, restaurants, Babies R Us, etc.)
I think that's the key. Sometimes I wish I never sold my wagon too. I hear you too on the non-modding of the "family" car. That's the last thing I want to deal with...."why is the car doing this???!!!" Hopefully whatever we end up getting, it stops at just rims and drop.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:36 PM
VIP Member

I think that's the key. Sometimes I wish I never sold my wagon too. I hear you too on the non-modding of the "family" car. That's the last thing I want to deal with...."why is the car doing this???!!!" Hopefully whatever we end up getting, it stops at just rims and drop.
I wouldn't even do rims or a drop. Rims will just make it ride more stiff and probably more tire noise if you go with aggresive rubber. The drop will make it ride harsher as well plus you'll be putting more wear on the struts as well as other various bushings.

Then you're for sure gonna be getting the "why is the car doing this?!" from the wife.

LOL I sound weird trying to tell you not to mod on a forum like this!
Old 10-18-2009, 04:43 PM

I wouldn't even do rims or a drop. Rims will just make it ride more stiff and probably more tire noise if you go with aggresive rubber. The drop will make it ride harsher as well plus you'll be putting more wear on the struts as well as other various bushings.

Then you're for sure gonna be getting the "why is the car doing this?!" from the wife.

LOL I sound weird trying to tell you not to mod on a forum like this!
Nah, it does make sense. I'm just getting impatient because I haven't bought any mods in a long time. Maybe I just need to buy another set of wheels for my Fozz until the mod bug dies down again.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
I'm not at all qualified yet to say this but I think the best way is to

1) Get her what she wants now.
2) Give it a few years break for car modding/cars. Put some money aside for your own car.
3) When Kellen is a few years old, get some badassery with the extra funds you set aside.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:34 PM
VIP Member

Nah, it does make sense. I'm just getting impatient because I haven't bought any mods in a long time. Maybe I just need to buy another set of wheels for my Fozz until the mod bug dies down again.
Don't do it man...go look in the eyes of the baby and then go look at all the receipts for the stuff you guys probably bought this week!

I know when our daughter was born even though we thought we bought everything we truly didn't. Plus she ended up not liking somethings versus others.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by BoOm
3) When Kellen is a few years old, get some badassery with the extra funds you set aside.
Haha, I like that word
Don't do it man...go look in the eyes of the baby and then go look at all the receipts for the stuff you guys probably bought this week!

I know when our daughter was born even though we thought we bought everything we truly didn't. Plus she ended up not liking somethings versus others.
Haha, funny you mention that. We were just at Babies' R Us yesterday and I was like does he really need 2 more outfits that he can't even fit right now. Leila was like, "but we'll need it around Holiday Season." Oh boy...

I know what you mean about all the bills. I do have another boy from my ex. He's a freshman at Mid Pac right now, and his tuition is the only reason why only my wife can drive a Lexus. The way we're looking at it, we're basically just replacing her 2 cars (Lexus IS250 and her Maxima) with one car/suv that will be more practical and useful for the family. I'm just the one who wants to make it look cool and be more fun to drive. LOL.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:18 PM

Yes, when I mean badassery, you can probably get like say a 370Z and then have the RX for your kid hauling!
Old 10-18-2009, 09:22 PM
VIP Member

Haha, I like that word

Haha, funny you mention that. We were just at Babies' R Us yesterday and I was like does he really need 2 more outfits that he can't even fit right now. Leila was like, "but we'll need it around Holiday Season." Oh boy...

I know what you mean about all the bills. I do have another boy from my ex. He's a freshman at Mid Pac right now, and his tuition is the only reason why only my wife can drive a Lexus. The way we're looking at it, we're basically just replacing her 2 cars (Lexus IS250 and her Maxima) with one car/suv that will be more practical and useful for the family. I'm just the one who wants to make it look cool and be more fun to drive. LOL.
LOL Mid Pac...I'm class of '97 and feel shafted because all the cool stuff was built after I graduated. What's tuition now, $15K? I remember working in the bookstore and college guidance (whatever the name) office to pay for tuition.

I wouldn't do a damned thing to the family car to make it more fun to drive...waste of money and you can use such funds for your own car OR baby's college fund.

Yes, when I mean badassery, you can probably get like say a 370Z and then have the RX for your kid hauling!
THIS...just bide your time until you can get back in a fun car...don't waste money on mods for a car that you have no passion for.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:35 PM

Oh damn....too rich for my blood. I think we can only have room for one "pretty" car. Obviously my Fozz ain't it, so I think it's Leila's turn. If the IS250 was a little more kid friendly, we'd probably just keep that one since it's already modded (H&R's, AME's, etc...)
LOL Mid Pac...I'm class of '97 and feel shafted because all the cool stuff was built after I graduated. What's tuition now, $15K? I remember working in the bookstore and college guidance (whatever the name) office to pay for tuition.
No kidding? I like the school and the facilities. I sometimes feel bad for my son though since he's got some classes so far apart from each other (Kawaiahao to the gym in 5 minutes?! Damn!) But then when I remember that we pay $16k a year for tuition, I think to myself.......he better work hard for those grades....hahaha
Old 10-18-2009, 09:58 PM

They will be cheap used in a year or two anyway. They are hitting $35k new for Touring+Sport packages(highest before NISMO version). You'd think they will be mid 25's in a couple years.