Discouraged...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 01:33 AM

Car Info: Storme..
well.. you DID speak like you were speaking to majority

Last edited by lostUNCERTAIN; 07-18-2006 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:37 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
Donaudi, i think its pretty funny how you call "them kids" when you are only 23 y/o yourself. As you get older you will find there is more to life than what car you drive. And pearlridge is ricerville anyway.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
i just watch the Ringer on DVD with the familia, it made me laugh....
Old 07-18-2006, 02:42 AM

Car Info: 2003 Wrx Wagon
Originally Posted by 808subaru
Donaudi, i think its pretty funny how you call "them kids" when you are only 23 y/o yourself. As you get older you will find there is more to life than what car you drive. And pearlridge is ricerville anyway.
i agree!! pearlridge is a place where i used to hang out wheni was in high school!! (DAMN do i feel old!!) there is always ricers blowing it up and down there.

yo rudy!! was good ah that movie!! dddddddefinetly!! jeffy good jjjjjeffy good!! Hug!! LMFAO!!
Old 07-18-2006, 04:34 AM

Car Info: SI and Lude
okay my car is slammed but ridin on 18s but i wouldnt have it any other way. For autox i use 16s and lift the car a bit enough to make the axle sit parallel to the ground (old RC car trick).

And yes that movie is hillarious
Old 07-18-2006, 05:12 AM

Car Info: none
I'm sure you all know that handling has a lot more to do with the shock travel, spring rate, and weight distribution than the actual height of the car... ( and by weight distribution I'm talking about coilovers that are height adjustable to allow the weight to be shifted from the back to the front or vice versa)

p.s. of course let's not forget the driver factor =D
oh and lost honda has the right idea with an ideal height being where the arms are parallel to the ground.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:09 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
im rollin on 18s. heck, i raised my car for the extra clearance. running 245/40/18 and it rubbed so i put in some extra leaf springs and got a 2" body lift and 3" suspension lift. last weekend i went down kaena point and was in the pit.... nah, mine is on prodrives, not too much drop, just a little bit.
Old 07-18-2006, 03:37 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
Now this makes sense. You were "discouraged" to see slammed Subies at Pearlridge on a Saturday night. They are so representative of the I-Club community on Oahu. As a matter of fact, all of our get-togethers are at Pearlridge. We have contests to see who has the loudest bov. Beam me up Scotty.

San
Old 07-18-2006, 03:49 PM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
I know where you're coming from. I'm the president of Maui SCCA and have been around motorsports off and on for over 20 years. I have a hard time getting Suby owners to drive their cars at our events.

Most owners do not realize just how gratifying it is to drive these kind of cars at the limits. I don't have anything against the "slammed" look of some STis and WRXs, but these cars really don't handle all that well when they are too low to the ground.

Most car enthusiast camps can fall into two distinct camps - those that "show" and those that want performance.

Every single one of my mods has been to make my STi a more competent car at the monthly SCCA solo events. No fluff parts. Period. Ask the competitors at our events and they will say that my car has improved as a drivers car since I got it.

Ultimately...to each his own. You won't be able to convince the "slammed" crowd that their cars are poor handling. It's looks they are after.

BTW once our facilities allow, I would like to hold HPDE and time attacks. These types of events will separate those that truly drive and those that want to look like they drive.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:27 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX PSM WAAGONE & 1967 vee dub squareback
Originally Posted by donaudi
You know what.. i wouldent be supprised if most of these guys i seen were these you kids who were going for a trendi car look. The area where i saw most of them were in Pearlridge area on a Sat evening. Well im just having fun. The whole reason i started this tread was to state my obervations while i was there. I can tell the difference between a properly lowered WRX and a slammed one. I thought it was pretty funny some of u guys got your panties in a bind over no reason.
You said kids. not to flame but arent you only 23, according to another post. I happen to be 26. if im still a kid then when do I get to become a man? the only reson why people are getting their pannties in abunch is because it sounds like you are the guru of subaru................. dont diss other peoples rides and you wont get flamed for it. We all work hard to put mods on our cars and some poeple will like them others wont. Like everyones mother always say's " if you dont have anything nice to say dont say nothin at all". Have a nice day!!!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:57 PM

Im not trying to be a wise@ss. I just think i haved not properly introduced myself. I've been wrenching from about 6th grade. From then untill sophomore year was bascily just messing around. Then i worked for my school servicing the school buses and vans. Also any teachers vehicles that needed fixing. After graduating I went to Arizona for school (UTI). After UTI I went to the Audi academy to become a tech. During trade school I worked for Camelback Toyota as a lot attendent. Also worked for Scottsdale Lexus for the same. Finished up at Camelback autobody shop as a body man. I was fortunate to return home for a job opening at Audi of Hawaii (South Beretania). After working there for 2years there was a opening at Maui Audi were i am currently wokring. I am the tech, parts guy, service writter, and warrenty clerk. We also have Harley, Kawasaki, Used cars, MZ, SDG, Buell, Iron Horse, and the list goes on.

I've worked on Lotus, Mazaratti, Ferarri, Lambo, Audi, Porsche, etc. I've eather worked on/ driven/ or rode in just about every car made.... including the only ENZO that was in Hawaii.

I've owned a 79' Toyota pickup, 93' Mitsu Eclipse GSX, 7?' Buick regal, ??' Toyota Corolla, 93' Nissan 240, 92' Honda CRX with B16, 03' Toyota Camery, 04' Subaru STI, 95' Mazda Miata

Also worked for pizza hut (cook, cashier, delivery driver), used to install networks (fiberoptics, severs, routers, etc)

Used to race but not particular proud of my illegal racing days. Fortunetly never killed for injured anyone.

Just letting you guys know who i am... and to put a history to a name. I normally post on Nasioc. Now im not trying to be big headed. Neither was this tread started to be insulting for dissing in anyway. I just wanted to state what i observed. How is that dissing? Anyway cant we all just be friends. I need friends i dont have any.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:04 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
wow that's a pretty nice looking resume!

well the only thing that i can suggest BEFORE posting something like you did was to get to know the people and introduce yourself (which you've done now ).

welcome to the club. Don't cause trouble

Jon
Old 07-18-2006, 10:16 PM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
I'll be 40 this year so I can legitimately call most other Suby owners "kids". Donaudi is a technician at a local dealership and is my personal technician. He's a fellow Suby owner and has installed and uninstalled, broke and repaired a lot of parts on his own car. He's knowledgable and his workmanship is impeccable.

I'm sure donaudi can fight his own battles, but speaking from personal experience, he knows his stuff. Personally, he's so conservative in his recommendation of modifications that he doesn't push parts just because they are the "in" parts in all the magazines. He focuses on making a better car both on the street and on the track. He lets the car owner decide their particular mod path and doesn't try to push parts that someone doesn't want and more importantly doesn't need.

Personally, I couldn't drive his car as a daily driver...too many comprises (i.e. too stiffly sprung, too noisy, too uncomfortable). What's great is he let me mod my car the way I wanted to mod it. My car is 90% daily driver (my wife and I carpool 5 days a week in my STi) and 10% weekend solo 2/track car. Our daily commute takes us from a rural part of Maui to Wailuku and is about a 50 mile round trip with close to a 7,000 elevation gain to and from work.

Modding my car required me to take a very cautious path so that the car is still drivable on a daily basis, but yet competitive at the local SCCA events and the occassional driving school.

I think donaudi and I share the same dismay that most car enthusiast (not only Suby owners) modify their cars more on what a magazine or car show tells them than actually doing their homework and testing parts on the track.

IMO I could care less about what others do to their cars, I'm going to follow my own path.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:19 PM

slammed does look nice though. what's wrong with being slammed on the street?
Old 07-18-2006, 10:41 PM

Notings wrong with slammed. I actually like the look of slammed subies. If there was a way to slam them and keep the handling i probaly would. I think some companies (one of them being 6gun racing) have a ball joint extender and tie rod adapter so you can keep the proper suspension geometry while being slammed. My only concern is the camber curve for the rear.

Anyways thanks for the welcome.... I'll try not to start fights anymore.

Thanks ED for the complements. I got scoldings from him for staring trobble on here. Yeah i try to offer sugesstions and not tell anyone how mod their vehicle.