cv boot leaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 09:00 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Silver Sedan
cv boot leaking

Hello,

Was inspecting my 2003 wrx and noticed the passenger side front cv boot is leaking. The grease is leaking out of the end of the boot by the metal band (clamp). You can see grease on axle spreading toward the wheel.

Questions..
This is grease right?
Anyway to replace this grease?
Can I put a hoseclamp over this metal band to hold boot onto shaft and forget about it or have axle replaced?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails cv boot leaking-clamp.jpg  
Old 02-24-2006, 11:22 PM
Troll

Car Info: 04 STI--- 435awhp@Pump Gas **520awhp @ C16 Vp
Hope this helps....

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/vtec.ivnu
Old 02-25-2006, 01:27 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Originally Posted by fish4poi
Hello,

Was inspecting my 2003 wrx and noticed the passenger side front cv boot is leaking. The grease is leaking out of the end of the boot by the metal band (clamp). You can see grease on axle spreading toward the wheel.

Questions..
This is grease right?
Anyway to replace this grease?
Can I put a hoseclamp over this metal band to hold boot onto shaft and forget about it or have axle replaced?

Thanks
yes there is a way to replace the grease in your axle cv boot. you will need to order a cv boot kit from subaru and it should come with a new boot/grease.

you could put a hose clamp on there but it might (depending on which end side of the axle, closes to the trans or closes to the wheel hub) throw off the balance of the axle and cause vibration/noise...etc. also depending on the side and where you plan on putting the clamp will determine if the clamp itself will be able to have clearance when the axle rotates.

Jon
Old 02-25-2006, 02:52 AM

Car Info: 04 Toyota Tacoma
Originally Posted by iNfEk
yes there is a way to replace the grease in your axle cv boot. you will need to order a cv boot kit from subaru and it should come with a new boot/grease.

you could put a hose clamp on there but it might (depending on which end side of the axle, closes to the trans or closes to the wheel hub) throw off the balance of the axle and cause vibration/noise...etc. also depending on the side and where you plan on putting the clamp will determine if the clamp itself will be able to have clearance when the axle rotates.

Jon

What Jon said ^^ Also, if you use a hose clamp, it may pinch the boot. This may cause a slight opening whre grease can escape. It can definitely throw off the balance of the axle. In fact, hose clamps are used to balance driveshafts.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:53 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Silver Sedan
thanks as usual you guys..

think i will have this part replaced under the 5 year 60k drivetrain warranty...who knows maybe i can get an alignment out of the deal. Thanks again.