Costco auto program

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:37 PM

Car Info: 05 LegaSTI
Costco auto program

Has anyone purchased a new car via the Costco auto program?

The wifey is looking for a new minivan (yes, I've already tried to get her to buy a Fozzy) & I've already heard good things about buying through Windward Honda.

I'm interested in hearing your reponses, good or bad.

How much over dealer invoice should I expect to pay? I'm assuming I could possibly get a better deal with year-end closeout purchases.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:49 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Gunnar at honda windward is my old kaneohe subaru manager! i think he does the costco program. Tell him shaggy sent ya.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by shaggadelic
Gunnar at honda windward is my old kaneohe subaru manager! i think he does the costco program. Tell him shaggy sent ya.
I bought my first car from gunnar in '96!
Old 08-14-2010, 05:42 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
I went to law school at costco...it was a good value, but It felt like I was just a number to them.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:40 PM

each car is different through the auto buying program you gota call the number in the magazine then they refer you to the dealership and from there they give you straight costco buying price. not to sure about to windard honda probably is but i know Tony is. havent done it my self but ive heard quite a few happy customers because you dont have to haggle with sales man pitches and all. the dealers have a contract with costco already its pretty much like wholesales of cars. costco deals with the manufactures. thats why Toyotas arent offered in hawaii due to the fact Servco Runs the show in pricing in hawaii.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by spinplay01
I went to law school at costco...it was a good value, but It felt like I was just a number to them.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:35 PM

Car Info: AWD/FWD/RWD
My relative bought their car from Windward Honda through the Costco Auto Program and got a pretty good deal without any haggling. I took my other relative there to purchase a car through the Costco program and realized first hand that the salesman sugar coats the sale with accessories and gives the buyer a false sense of savings (i.e. parking sensors for $1200 installed but they'll give it to you for $800 when it only costs $400 retail). They were not impressed and didn't like their sales tactics. They do have a comprehensive sales spiel and take the time to show the car and its features.

We went to Tony Honda instead and bought the same car with the same accessories for much less (a little less than invoice). While it was cheaper, we still had to haggle to get past the standard BS. The experience with Tony Honda has always been great (3 purchases in the last 8 years). Don't get me wrong though; their initial sales tactics are typical stealership. They are trained to do that even though they know you are smarter than that. All you have to do is decline it and then get straight to business. I have a couple of friends who have had similar positive experiences.

Long story short; if you want a no-haggle experience and get a decent deal then go with Honda Windward. If you want to save another $1k then go to Tony Honda and negotiate.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by markpaco
My relative bought their car from Windward Honda through the Costco Auto Program and got a pretty good deal without any haggling. I took my other relative there to purchase a car through the Costco program and realized first hand that the salesman sugar coats the sale with accessories and gives the buyer a false sense of savings (i.e. parking sensors for $1200 installed but they'll give it to you for $800 when it only costs $400 retail). They were not impressed and didn't like their sales tactics. They do have a comprehensive sales spiel and take the time to show the car and its features.

We went to Tony Honda instead and bought the same car with the same accessories for much less (a little less than invoice). While it was cheaper, we still had to haggle to get past the standard BS. The experience with Tony Honda has always been great (3 purchases in the last 8 years). Don't get me wrong though; their initial sales tactics are typical stealership. They are trained to do that even though they know you are smarter than that. All you have to do is decline it and then get straight to business. I have a couple of friends who have had similar positive experiences.

Long story short; if you want a no-haggle experience and get a decent deal then go with Honda Windward. If you want to save another $1k then go to Tony Honda and negotiate.
Thanks for sharing!

I went to Tony Honda tonight after dinner & have a fun experience. Salesman didn't know much about the van... didn't even know the 2011 Odyssey has been totally redesigned. He had his models & option packages a little mixed up. Must have been new...that's OK, gotta start somewhere. He said they don't participate in the Costco auto program but already have priced their vehicles to match those prices. I kind of just gave him the "oh really?" look & kindly moved on to the next set of questions I had. It was just a laid back info seeking encounter.

I really don't like all the haggling & B.S. ... and thereby may be headed for Windward to check on their best price with the costco program & then head back to Tony with that knowledge in mind to use as my starting point. I hate buying new cars.