computer people, i need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 05:08 AM

Unhappy computer people, i need help!!

hi,

uh-oh.....just tried to turn on my computer but it goes to the initial boot up screen and says "main hard drive failure" or something like that...and nothing happens anyone know what i can do to try to fix it and/or retrieve the stuff i have saved on my hard drive? (i'm using b-drift's computer now.)

thanks in advance!
Old 02-14-2004, 05:23 AM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
Hey, I too lost all my saved files on my computer. Wish you luck!

Also, I have a Christian Dior purse that I won at a silent auction at work (I work at DFS). It's retailed at $770, but I won it for $230. I have all the receipts (bid receipt and credit card receipt).

The bag is all black. It was meant for my girlfriend, but it's not her style. Would you be interested? I'll sell it for what I paid, $230.

I'll also let you have a choice of one free perfume. I have brand names such as Bvlgari, Christian Dior,etc.... They too were gifts I wanted to send, but I can't ship perfumes.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:25 AM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
not everytime when you see this message that your hdd is gone. reconnect the power and the cables and see if it works again. if it doesn't then its gone. you can try a hard disk retrieval service but even if it works, you get nameless files.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:30 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan - Silver
Make sure that the hard drive is spinning up when you turn the computer on. If it's not, unplug the ribbon cable from the back of it, then turn the computer back on. If the hard drive spins up with only the power cable installed, you probably have a bad IDE Channel on your motherboard.

Another thing you could do, is set the "broken" hard drive to slave, & put it in your 2nd computer. Pull all the files off it, if it comes up, and then format / trash that hard drive. You'd have to reload your OS, obviouslyl. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 02-14-2004, 12:26 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Originally posted by BoOm
not everytime when you see this message that your hdd is gone. reconnect the power and the cables and see if it works again. if it doesn't then its gone. you can try a hard disk retrieval service but even if it works, you get nameless files.
HDD retrieval tool might be your best option as stated above...

Originally posted by funkdrmr
Make sure that the hard drive is spinning up when you turn the computer on. If it's not, unplug the ribbon cable from the back of it, then turn the computer back on. If the hard drive spins up with only the power cable installed, you probably have a bad IDE Channel on your motherboard.

Another thing you could do, is set the "broken" hard drive to slave, & put it in your 2nd computer. Pull all the files off it, if it comes up, and then format / trash that hard drive. You'd have to reload your OS, obviouslyl. Hope everything works out for you.
also stated above you could have a bad IDE socket. you could also in addition to the solution provided above buy or borrow a external IDE controller and connect your HD to it and see if that helps!
Originally posted by Chibby Goku

Also, I have a Christian Dior purse that I won at a silent auction at work (I work at DFS). It's retailed at $770, but I won it for $230. I have all the receipts (bid receipt and credit card receipt).

The bag is all black. It was meant for my girlfriend, but it's not her style. Would you be interested? I'll sell it for what I paid, $230.

I'll also let you have a choice of one free perfume. I have brand names such as Bvlgari, Christian Dior,etc.... They too were gifts I wanted to send, but I can't ship perfumes.
LOL.. your funny chris!
Old 02-14-2004, 01:12 PM

hi everyone, thanks for the advice. just tried turning my computer on, and it seems to be working like normal! i don't get it -- maybe it was a cruel friday the 13th spell? anyhow, now that the computer is on, i guess i'll back everything up just in case.

b-drift says i break every computer i touch. had this one crapped out on me, i would be on my 4th computer since i've met him. heheh.

thanks again and happy v-day everyone! hope your significant others didnt burn a hole in your pockets. hehehhe.

Originally posted by Chibby Goku

hahahha, hmm, what does the bag look like? any pics?

Last edited by mini-t; 02-17-2004 at 06:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:53 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
That hard drive may not be long for the world. You may also have a weak/dying CMOS battery that caused the BIOS to momentarily forget the specs ono your HDD making it "invisible" to the computer. I'd back up your data (in case the hard drive is on it's last legs) - like you're already doing and then replace the CMOS battery and cross your fingers.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Is it a Vaio? I've got one with the same problem (I think). It looks like Vaio's have this problem quite a bit, from the research I've done on the net.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:27 PM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
I can't really describe it. I can take post pics in a few days.
Old 02-14-2004, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by gpatmac
Is it a Vaio? I've got one with the same problem (I think). It looks like Vaio's have this problem quite a bit, from the research I've done on the net.
nope, not a vaio...a pc. hmm, it seems to be working fine still need to hurry and back up all my files still. thanks again, everyone!