coming to oahu, got suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 08:04 PM

Car Info: platinum rex wagon
coming to oahu, got suggestions?

hey guys, my family and i are heading out to oahu, and we'll be staying at turtle bay resort. we're going to be there from may 13 - 19. we're going to spend a few days doing the touris-sy stuff, island tour, luau, etc.

couple of questions......where's a good place to snorkel, please take into account, we're bringing out little 4 yrs old and 10. what are some good local eats out toward where we'll be staying? i'm sure we're going to spend at least a day out in waikiki. so wha's there to do out there? and of course, good place to eat.

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated....oh, btw, if someone can hook me up w/maps of the island and around town, that would be awesome.

i think that's all i can think of for now, danx bradda
Old 04-01-2004, 08:08 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan - Silver
lol...we really need to get a "Visiting" sticky up here, as was mentioned in another of the "I'm coming soon........." threads.

As for info, I won't be too much help. I've only been here 6 months, & I've worked too much to really enjoy anything. I'm pretty sure you'll want to check out the lagoons (Ko'olina??). I hear it's nice & shallow, & good times when you have little ones.

I'm sure you'll get some more suggestions from other guys here. Enjoy your visit!
Old 04-01-2004, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by funkdrmr
lol...we really need to get a "Visiting" sticky up here, as was mentioned in another of the "I'm coming soon........." threads.

I agree There should be a sticky in this local forum for people visiting. Only problem; is that I can just imagine how long, jumbled, and disorganized the thread would be...
Old 04-02-2004, 12:11 AM

Car Info: '04 STi
Hope you enjoy your vacation when you get here, I just came from the Anaheim area myself. As far as food places where you will be staying, there is a decent "plate lunch" place at the Kahuku Sugar Mill and at the green place across the high school. There is that tasty, but oh so expensive Giovanni's Shrimp Shack. The next town over (Laie) has L & L (Hawaiian BBQ to you So Cal people), McDonalds & Subway, the Chinese place there is sub-par. I would reccomend that you make the twenty minute drive to Haleiwa town for a more varied menu. Hit me up if you need more details. Aloha!
Old 04-02-2004, 01:09 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
my list

when i moved back here in '93 here are some things that i did

1. go to kailua beach
2. go to lanikai (in kailua)
3. north shore
4. polynesian cultural center
5. sea life park
6. pacific beach hotel

now here are some "hole in the wall"-actual book too!
restaurants that have local acclaim-

masus plate lunch in kalihi, mitsu-ken in kalihi, kakaako kitchen in honolulu(not really hole in da wall), times coffee shop in kailua, kj's local grinds in kaneohe, any lunch wagon, ivas hawaiian food in pearl city, the pastele shop in kalihi, taniokas in waipahu, and chinatown.

the beauty of our state is that there is a huge "melting pot" in terms of food.

i don't recommend ala moana beach or waikiki if you don't like crowded beaches and "touristy" spots... hope that helps!
Old 04-02-2004, 02:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: "the loud one"
mmMM...local eats...

Alan Wongs...
Sam Choys...
Tanaka of Tokyo...

mmMM...getting hungry...i'm gonna go eat something now...hope you have a great stay!!
Old 04-02-2004, 08:51 AM

Car Info: WRBlue 2k5 Subaru WRX STi
I don't live in Hawaii, but I was in Oahu a few weeks ago for Spring Break.

May I suggest going to Hanauma Bay for snorkelling. Knee deep water and big colorful fish swim around you!!

If you're staying around Waikiki, do go to the International Market Place where you can find good bargains on souvenirs, and the food court is bad ***!! You'll find all kinds of dishes from different cultures. It's also cheaper than eating at a fancy restaurant.

Sea Life Park was the bomb!! We got to swim with the dolphins. Although, I was too busy checkin' out the trainers!

Do rent a car and drive to the North Shore, and perhaps go around the island. Pass by the Dole Plantation on your way to the North Shore and eat some pineapples.

If you're into extremes, try Parasailing!!!

Have fun!!

Here's a pic when we were at Waimea Beach on the North Shore.
Attached Thumbnails coming to oahu, got suggestions?-waimea.jpg  
Old 04-03-2004, 12:03 PM

Car Info: platinum rex wagon
yeah, i think it would be great if you guys have a faq for coming to hawaii, since u guys are like the vacation capital of the world.

anyways, don't have lots of time, but just wanted to say danx for all the suggestion, esp. hanauma bay snorkel, i think my 4 yr old will luv it......

keep any more suggestions coming
Old 04-03-2004, 04:12 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
don't forget, tantalus drive

the waianae coast is nice too! aesome sunsets.
the twin islands off lanikai beach(u would need kayaks or small boat tour)
the sand bar tours in kaneohe
waikiki aquarium is nice too(for the kids)
kuoloa ranch is awesome too(where they filmed jurassic park, mighty joe young, fantasy island. . .) if u wanna go there let me know cuz my uncle is in charge of that place.
oh, the pali look out too(keep your valuables hidden!!)

dats all fo now

aloha,
greg