Clutches!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 04:00 PM

Car Info: 2004 Blue STi
Clutches!!!

I have a question. I'm getting a new clutch system because the stock is gone...I can't drive and it isnt warranted!!! My bad...but anyways...I need your opinion on something.

The guy at the shop ordered me a Exedy Stage 2 clutch with stock flywheel for about $1000. But I went on NOPI.com and seen a Exedy Stage 3 w/ lightweight alum flywheel for $925. He said that the aftermarket flywheels are not that great compared to the stock and also, the stage 3 setup is for really aggressive and alot of racing. What is your all opinion on the flywheel and this dilemma??? Please....need help with this. He recommends the Stage 2 setup over the Stage 3. I'm confused on why you shouldn't go Stage 3. Insight would be great.

Thanks.

Jason
Old 05-10-2005, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
What happened to your clutch and why is it not under warrenty did it fail because of something you did?? Your car dosen't have that many miles on it.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:22 PM

Yeah...my screw up...cant drive. Tore up the clutch. No more straight running..hehe. Oh well...learn the hard way.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:29 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Stick with the steel lightweight flywheel. Isn't that stock?

Overall you can't go wrong with Exedy clutches
Old 05-11-2005, 12:32 PM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
^^^ Yeah what he said, don't let this guy rip you off and get you to pay for a new flywheel. Get the stocker resurfaced for about 50 bucks ( thats hawaii price), and get what ever clutch that you think your left leg can handle. I say that because look at the material that the clutches are made out of. Some will allow a little slip for everyday driving while that race clutch will be oh you push the clutch its not engaged, you let go its engaged. There is no in between. You have to look at the driving you will be doing a majority of.

Good Luck

mario
Old 05-11-2005, 04:32 PM

Car Info: 02 Subaru WRX WRB
If It will be a daily driver be sure it has a sprung hub on the friction disk. I have the hyper single on my WRX with a vf34 and its doing great for me. I would recomend just replacing the flywheel with one the exedy kits that come with the flywheel
just my .02

Nathan
Old 05-11-2005, 04:41 PM

There is noting wrong with going with an aftermarket flywheel. Most are of same quality or better quality than stock. Whatever you do dont get an extremely light flywheel (example: act race light?). This will cause you all sorts of problems.
He probalby telling you to get a new flywheel because he dosent know how badly you stock flywheel is damaged, and if he gets its all apart to find it needs replacing then he and you are stuck.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:05 PM

He did take it completely apart and said the flywheel is gone. He recommends a stock flywheel over an aftermarket probably the same reason you stated about the ACT one. I'm getting Exedy Stage 2 w/ stock flywheel. He didnt recommend the Stage 3 w/ lightweight flywheel. Hope he is right...he has more experience/knowledge than I do...I just wanted to see what you all had to say about it. Thnks...I get my car tomorrow...woohoo.

Also, one other thing...when do you all recommend changing or upgrading spark plugs to a colder set? He also said you don't need to do that right now...won't do much for ya until some more heavily modded setup....I have no clue...I'm still learning.

Jason
Old 05-12-2005, 06:55 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
I'd

get a lightweight steel flywheel instead of stock. But if you've already trashed the stock clutch and flywheel, maybe you're better off with stock. The lightweight flywheel will rev quicker, but as you have an STI (heavier), the stock flywheel will be more "streetable". Also, I think you drag the car sometimes, right? Stock flywheel there will have an advantage off the line.

San
Old 05-12-2005, 07:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1996 STI V3 Type RA
I'm going for the Fidenza 9lb flywheel and the exedy twin plate clutch. This is a perfect time to get an aftermarket cluch, and flywheel. I think the guy is bsing you if he said you can't resurface your flywheel. I straight up baked mine when I burn my WRX clutch out getting stuck on a beach taking pictures. It still was resurfacable. I have one step colder plugs, and I do recommend them.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:16 PM

If the rivets on the actual clutch disc mared the flywheel it might have cut grooves in it that the can't machine out...
Old 05-12-2005, 08:28 PM
VIP Member

That would be super hardcore. How would that be possible?
Old 05-12-2005, 08:31 PM

I've did it before I was doing about 80mph in a GSR I used to have went from 5 to 3 and that was it....Center Force dual friction after that no more problems..
Old 05-12-2005, 08:46 PM
VIP Member

Wow
Old 05-12-2005, 08:57 PM

I've been known to mess some stuff up.. When I do it I do it right..

Quick Reply: Clutches!!!