Clear Bra Paint Protection

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 10:06 AM

Car Info: 2006 OBP WRX Wagon & SGM 2.5i wagon
Clear Bra Paint Protection

After seeing what the front of my 2.5i looks like after a year and a half of driving I think this would be a good investment for my WRX while it still looks pretty.

Was hoping for few personal reviews of how the clear bra holds up over time and any recommendations on where to get it put on
Old 01-02-2008, 11:23 AM

Car Info: Pasoi!
Lol sorry had to do it. In before anyone else. hehe
Well to answer you question though, 3m makes the stuff. From what i heard its pretty good stuff.
http://www.invisiblemask.com/cgi-bin...RX+SPORT+WAGON
Old 01-02-2008, 12:53 PM

Car Info: AWD/FWD/RWD
I had it on my 04 STi and it worked great. It is less visible on darker cars. I have it on both my Integra and Supra (both which are white) and you can definitely see it on the Integra. The integra is an off white color so it shows up as a slightly darker shade under the film. My Supra is much like Aspen White on Subys and you can only see the line where it ends because dirt and wax tends to get caught there.

I'm definitely happy with the product. On my STi, I had some serious gravel make some cuts into it but it protected the paint well. The quality really depends on who puts it on for you. Sometimes the surface finish may be a little mottled but overall it is good. The edges may peel too. You can either cut it back or clean and reapply it. After a while, you just leave it there. After all, it is a sacrificial covering.

I've heard that it is very expensive to have it installed. I paid like $300 installed on my STi but that was in the mainland. I installed it on my Integra and Supra here so I don't have any input on local installers. I do know that TnT tinting installs them but they are also one of the more expensive places. You do get what you pay for though and TnT does take care of their customers.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:05 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by markpaco
I do know that TnT tinting installs them but they are also one of the more expensive places. You do get what you pay for though and TnT does take care of their customers.
Yup, I wrote an estimate for a customer who had it installed on his Porsche (Done by TnT). TnT quoted us like $600 for just the front bumper. I'm sure it varies per vehicle, but the owner said he paid almost $1500 for the bumper, hood, and fenders. Just to give you a ball park figure.
One thing to keep in mind is that if you ever need to get any bodywork or painting on any panels that have the clear bra on it, is that it will need to be removed and then re-done after the paint has fully cured. And, unless your insurance company covers a/m stuff, they wouldn't cover that under that loss. Food for thought.

Last edited by Bran808; 01-02-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 PM

Car Info: 2006 OBP WRX Wagon & SGM 2.5i wagon
Thanks for the info!

I am still waiting on price quotes but if I do decide to do it it will most likely be a DIY job.

In case anyone is interested,
TNT said that they use a "non yellowing material" that is different than what you can buy online and it comes with a lifetime warranty.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:25 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
depending on the price if TNT offers a lifetime warranty i'd say go with that. otherwise rockblocker makes good kits and they are very well priced. i bought one for my forster and i can say that it is not an easy thig to put on. if you are going to do it yourself def do it in a garage at night and have a few ppl there to help.