Cell Phone gurus, I need your opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:04 PM

Car Info: 04 Java Pearl
I would go with an android. I took a computer science class and my professor told me that yes the iphone is great but the android will be better. She said something about the OS being open so basically there are more people out in the world creating cool things for it while the iphone isnt open. So the iphone might better now, but because the android is changing so fast and always becoming better it will pass the iphone.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:25 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI Wagon
droid

Originally Posted by Hi_Sti
I would go with an android. I took a computer science class and my professor told me that yes the iphone is great but the android will be better. She said something about the OS being open so basically there are more people out in the world creating cool things for it while the iphone isnt open. So the iphone might better now, but because the android is changing so fast and always becoming better it will pass the iphone.

i effin love my droid...get one or you're gay! haha jk
Old 05-26-2010, 03:17 PM

Car Info: 2010 2.5i Steel Silver Legacy
Originally Posted by BoOm
Are you guys waiting for my opinion?

/Queue Entrance Music

1 - Sprint 4G(wimax, not even real 4G) suck donkey *****. We have 2 4G cards here in the office and my AT&T 3G is actually faster than it. The reason? The coverage of WiMax sites in Hawaii is horrible. It is the same reason your Clear and Road Runner mobile sucks. The frequency is too high to even penetrate buildings.

2 -The iPhone isn't for everybody. If you don't use it to it's fully advantage(apps), then it is a third rate phone. I'm an iPhone user and I am willing to bet I have more Apple **** in my home and office than anyone in I-Club, but I'm willing to face the truth. The Android Incredible is actually pretty f-ing Incredible and stands out as the sole competitor to the iPhone in my opinion. If you don't want to go to AT&T and like Verizon, it IS the phone to get.

3 - AT&T will most likely retain the exclusivity of the iPhone after the iPad deal that Apple got from AT&T. Anything can happen and I don't ever think Verizon will get it since they do diss the iPhone pretty hard in their commercials. If it has to be a CDMA carrier, it would probably be Sprint. Again, this is highly unlikely.

4 - To be really honest, contrary to the "internet", AT&T is pretty awesome in Hawaii.

5 - You think the 3GS is fast? Try the iPad. This is pretty much the same processor the new iPhone HD will use.

6 - Speaking of iPhone HD, please don't call it the iPhone 4G until June 6 when Apple officially places a name on it. It doesn't run on the 4G network. Hell, real 4G won't even come for another 2 1/2 years. Why was the first iPhone called 2G? Yes, because for ****ing Christ sake, it ran on the EDGE 2G network. Follow the convention people. Why was the 3rd generation iPhone called 3GS? Why was the second generation iPhone called 3G? It's a huge pet peeve of mine.

7 - Brandon, I'd like to hear more specifically how you're going to use it. Ie, you say it's for emails, what type of system is the email using? Exchange, Secure Exchange, Lotus, IMAP, POP3? This makes a huge difference as the iPhone cannot do 2 of that above listing.

8 - In the end, if I was to choose iPhone 3GS vs the Verizon Android Incredible. Incredible hands down. iPhone HD vs Incredible? That's a bit harder decision because it's not out yet.

PS. For those who don't know me, yes I'm a f'ing bigot.
if you want to get in to technicalities, 2g was the turn of digital vs analog, 2.5g was gprs and 2.75g was edge.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:36 PM

Car Info: Renault Clio RS R27
Originally Posted by YuudaiSTI
Holy wall of boom text.

The only people I see hate on iPhones are the ones without them. I've never met a person yet who said. "I hate this phone!!!"
I probably got ( not owned ) 30+ iphone from gen 1 to now.
And still never really got attracted by it because of the OS itself.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:16 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
^^ Still you havent owned one.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:29 PM

Car Info: 2005 Subaru WRX STI
I say Iphone but wait for the new one. Cons Iphone doesn't have a loud ringer so if you need something loud try something else. The iphone for everything else.... internet, apps, movies, customization, music and text messaging its great. This is my third iphone 2g, 3g, 3gs.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
ABSOLUTELY <3 my iPhone (it's my second in a row). Not impressed with AT&T network uptime/reliability.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:52 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by IS2Scooby
ABSOLUTELY <3 my iPhone (it's my second in a row). Not impressed with AT&T network uptime/reliability.
Hey Rich, nice to see you're still on here. That's my wife's sentiments exactly. She can't live without the phone, but after only a 2 months she's pretty disappointed with the service/reception.
Old 05-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Howzit Brandon! Nice to chat with ya. Good luck with your phone choice. I'm going to be eagerly awaiting Apple's WWDC next week.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:41 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by IS2Scooby
Howzit Brandon! Nice to chat with ya. Good luck with your phone choice. I'm going to be eagerly awaiting Apple's WWDC next week.
Yup, me too. I think at this point I'm kind of leaning towards the HTC Incredible, but want to see what the next Gen I-phone has to offer. I know what kind of coverage I can expect with Verizon, so Apple with have to come out with something pretty awesome to make me go with At&t. We'll see.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:58 AM

Car Info: 05 LegaSTI
Originally Posted by Bran808
Yup, me too. I think at this point I'm kind of leaning towards the HTC Incredible, but want to see what the next Gen I-phone has to offer. I know what kind of coverage I can expect with Verizon, so Apple with have to come out with something pretty awesome to make me go with At&t. We'll see.

I've made the same decision & will order mine next weekend when my contract expires. Maybe in 2 years I'll make the switch to iPhone but for now I'm sticking with my choice.
Old 05-30-2010, 10:44 AM

Car Info: 07STI
A friend of mine hooked me up with this site dedicated to the evo4g.
www.goodandevo.net

the evo4g has already been rooted so you can use programs like the mobile hot spot for free without having to pay the extra 30$ a month
http://www.goodandevo.net/2010/05/ht...dy-rooted.html

Also anyone that spends a good amount of time in or around military instillations from my personal experience have had poor service with T-Mobile and ATT. While we were training at the National Training Center(NTC) in California the only people with any kind of cell phone service was Verizon and Sprint both had great coverage. Our ATT blackberry that are provided to us by unit were used as paperweights for those two months. I love the Iphone for its simple and fun use with great apps but dealing with ATT is not worth it to me.

droid OS software FTL!

Last edited by STiAlain; 05-30-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:44 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
The Evo would been good if 4G coverage was decent.

It's not. I own 2 Sprint 4G cards. The coverage is f'ing horrible. 90% of the time I will get 3G. Why am I even paying $10 more than 3G?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:40 PM

Car Info: Black 08 WRX
My HTC Incredible rocks. In fact I'm making this post with it! Get one. Then upgrade to the bigger battery. The one that comes with it, although bigger then the iPhone battery, only lasts about 8 hours under heavy use because its so much more powerful then the iPhone.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:28 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
Got to play with the Sprint Evo 4G Android today since it was released.

In summary: It sucks.....***. BIGTIME.

Took forever to activate, a common CDMA problem anyway. Finally found a spot(corner actually) that I could catch 4G in. Did bandwidth tests and found it was slower than my AT&T 3G.

Typing. Horrible and for some reason less accurate than Incredible.

440mb of APP memory? Ridiculous. At least the Incredible has 800.

Battery life is really bad on 4G, I literally saw it draining %'s.

Too large. I have an iPhone case on my iPhone and it feels more balanced and smaller. Incredible is also very balanced. The EVO feels very tall.

Screen quality is nowhere close to the AMOLED on the Incredible.

And this leads me to believe, the only reason they release it today is that they are scared ****less of Apple's announcement this Monday.
Attached Thumbnails Cell Phone gurus, I need your opinions-photo-2010-06-04-04.06.jpg  

Quick Reply: Cell Phone gurus, I need your opinions