Car troubles.. Suggestions welcome.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 12:10 PM

Car Info: Silver Subaru WRX 2005 (STI wing and interior)
Car troubles.. Suggestions welcome.

Hey guys (and girls)
Just wanted to post this up and see what everyones thoughts were. First off let me thank you in advance for reading and the advice.

About 2 weeks ago my dash lights started flickering on the far left corner where my gas gage is. It was just the one section that was flickering so i didnt worry to much. (before you say anything, not its not a service light, i know what they look like, lol).

then a week ago on friday my low beam headlights went out. Both the left and the right. My high beams and my fogs still work. My boyfriend checked the fuses and they were not blown and there were also no loose connectors. We thought it might be the rain so i let them dry out, nothing. I dont know if this is electrical or the bulbs need to be changed (regardless im going to get new ones tonight).

then this past week my whole dash started flickering. so im starting to think i have an electrical problem.

Any thoughts or ideas on what should do?

thanks guys

sarah =)
Old 12-22-2008, 01:28 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
I would take just about anything other than an electrical problem, freakin wiring is just beyond me. WTB blown "whatever" instead of stupid electrical crap
Old 12-22-2008, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Krang
I would take just about anything other than an electrical problem, freakin wiring is just beyond me. WTB blown "whatever" instead of stupid electrical crap
yeah im not car expert. im still learning. Its a guess. Im just livid becuase i just got this car 2.5 months ago! I just hope i didnt get a lemon, i'll cry.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
I've had similar problems in my old bugeye. It ended up being a bad solder on where the wire connects the ignition switch to the fuse box. Basically, it stopped telling the gauges and lights that the car was on.

Go to an automotive electrical shop for them to fix it. The place just off of Ward on Queen St (I think) charged me $50. They're awesome over there but I forget the shops' name...someone who knows the place can give it to you but it is right there and it is a Japanese last name.

It's not the bulbs...just don't buy the bulbs and then not need them you know? Before we actually fixed the problem I went through replacing my battery, bulbs, fuses, etc...just to learn that it was a $50 fix at my favorite electrical shop.

Last edited by bpang1; 12-22-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-22-2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by bpang1
I've had similar problems in my old bugeye. It ended up being a bad solder on where the wire connects the ignition switch to the fuse box. Basically, it stopped telling the gauges and lights that the car was on.

Go to an automotive electrical shop for them to fix it. The place just off of Ward on Queen St (I think) charged me $50. They're awesome over there but I forget the shops' name...someone who knows the place can give it to you but it is right there and it is a Japanese last name.

It's not the bulbs...just don't buy the bulbs and then not need them you know? Before we actually fixed the problem I went through replacing my battery, bulbs, fuses, etc...just to learn that it was a $50 fix at my favorite electrical shop.
Sweet! thanks for the advice. I work near there, right off south king & ward so i'll drop by. Im glad to hear its most likely a quick fix and not a thousand dollar part =)
Old 12-22-2008, 02:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
^^^Hopefully not a thousand dollar part.

As I've been told, Subaru's wiring is not so great so yeah a lot of people are having these problems a few years down the road when bad solders and connection start to come loose.

I hope it all works out and am sure those guys will take good care of you. Normally you can just drop the car off and pick it up at the end of the day or even at lunch.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:03 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
If not, you can check with Myron at Hawaii Auto Electric. They're located on Kam Hwy in PearlCity by Jack in the box and Taco Bell. We use them for all of our electrical diagnostic work. #487-7783. Good Luck
Old 12-22-2008, 03:14 PM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
Or, You can do what I do. Get pissed off, Contemplate selling the car, Drink afew beers, Play Xbox360, Drive to Vakamon and have them fix the problum... Usually, If I do it in that order, it fixes the problum everytime.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Haole-Pino
Or, You can do what I do. Get pissed off, Contemplate selling the car, Drink afew beers, Play Xbox360, Drive to Vakamon and have them fix the problum... Usually, If I do it in that order, it fixes the problum everytime.
haha i dont drink beer, but i might add some jack to that combo and see what happens. lol =)
Old 12-22-2008, 05:00 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Add jack to that combo and by the time you reach the Vakamon stage there will be a lot more **** wrong with your car than when you started. Like not having a bumper and or/ being totaled.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:15 PM

Add jack to that combo and by the time you reach the Vakamon stage there will be a lot more **** wrong with your car than when you started. Like not having a bumper and or/ being totaled.
haha good point

but on the serious side, i never drive impaired. My friend was killed on her motor cycle by a drunk driver, since her passing i have been really firm on the whole "no drinking and driving thing"
Old 12-22-2008, 05:19 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
animals chewing the wires
Old 12-22-2008, 05:20 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
please dont dodge the swear filter. please type the word out and let the filter do its job
Old 12-22-2008, 06:36 PM

Car Info: 2021 Crosstrek Sport
Originally Posted by bpang1
I think you're talking about 'Wayne's Electric'. They do really good work there. When I was working @ Central Auto Body, we used to take all the cars that needed electrical work there.

I Hope things work out for you Sarah.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:44 PM

Car Info: 2004 Java Black Pearl STI (Team DownXhift)
There have been countless times I went to Vakamon sober, and came out drunk

As for the swear filter, I already got flagged for dodging it. So why not run into it full speed?? Shall we?? Here we go!!!! ****, ****, crap, mother****er, ********, ****, *****, ****er, *****, *******, ****. Alright I'm done

**Edit** wow, the filter seems to be working

Last edited by Haole-Pino; 12-22-2008 at 06:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Car troubles.. Suggestions welcome.