Car (SUCV) buying

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 09:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Car (SUCV) buying

We were able to sell our Explorer after about 2 days on the Lemon lot on Schofield. Made about $1400, believe it or not.

Anyhow, now we're SUV/minivan shopping here in Indiana. Found out some very interesting things here.

Almost every SUV we've checked out (we're trying out everyone we can to be better able to make an informed decision); come with AWD now. Unfortunately, there are all sorts of AWD setups. The Explorer is hard to find in AWD. This gives me the idea that this is definitely aiming towards a niche market and won't necessarily lend itself to resale value.

Drove something with VTEC in it for the first time. The Honda Odyssey. It's their minivan and it shares most everything with it's SUV brother, the Pilot. The Odyssey has switchable traction control and 240 hp. When I was test driving it, I pulled up to a light where there were a bunch of riced-out Cougars. Ha ha ha. Anyhow, I had Kath in the car and I told her I was going to show here what turning the TC off would do. The Cougar didn't bite. I guess he didn't want to get humiliated in front of his buddies, and I am SURE that the minivan would've humiliated him.

The Pilot has some crazy 4wd where you have to put it (automatic) into 2nd or 1st gear then hit the switch on the dash. Then, when you mash the throttle, you can feel the rear sit down. Both the Odyssey and Pilot are FWD, btw, that is until you switch the Pilot into 4wd.

The Forrester XT is just too small for Kathy.

The Volvo's XC70 and XC90 (SUV wagon and SUV midsize, respectively) both didn't do well in crash tests.

That's about all of the irony I can post, for now.

Oh yeah, we've seen one WRX and one modded WRX here (both the same car) I'm going to feel so alone when I get back from AFG.