car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 11:48 PM

Car Info: 05 wrb wrx wagon
car insurance

hey, just wondering what you HIICers are paying on insurance.
i currently have geico and my premium has been going up almost $100 every 6 months. i have a clean record and no super high deductibles. checked with a few other companies and i'm getting similar quotes to what i'm paying now. sucks to have to pay this much and i'm not even driving an STI haha
Old 12-17-2010, 12:43 AM

Car Info: Mbp 02 wrx vf34/ra gears
I've got liberty mutual...I used to have geico and switched to them for the same reason...check them out...I pay $125 a month for both cars...record is clean of course and both my cars are 2002...lol...$250 deductible...my wife got into an accident last year and they took care of everything fast like geico...And to this day geico cannot match what I have now...they call every now and then...
Old 12-17-2010, 09:27 AM

Car Info: 1989 Honda Civic, 11ʻ R1 & 09ʻ GSXR600
USAA....120 For a 2002 WRX and a 2010 FXT
Old 12-17-2010, 09:29 AM

Car Info: 14 m235i
state farm here, I pay a decent amount considering my driving record is not clean.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:31 AM

Car Info: 2010 Impreza 2.5i Premium Boosted
AAA, I pay a few dollars more because I'm 18 but my record is clean. I think its around 160 for my car.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:53 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
$150/6months for my wrx wagon, $125/6months for my GC. But I'm kind of old, no tickets, no claims. I think I have AllState.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:16 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by corytomo
$150/6months for my wrx wagon, $125/6months for my GC. But I'm kind of old, no tickets, no claims. I think I have AllState.
Holy crap are you serious $550 a year for 2 cars? Or did you mean $150/month. That's super cheap.

To the OP, I forget how much we pay, but it's somewhere in the lines of $1k/year for Leila's '10 Fozz, and I think I pay like $8 something/ year for my Lex, and I think like $6 something/ year for my '05 2.5x Fozz. All 3 cars I have full coverage with State Farm. I work with Insurance companies every day and I can assure you that they're not all created equal. For what it's worth, I'm insured with State Farm and have never been happier. The rates were competitive (IIRC, almost the cheapest from what I found) and they have excellent coverage. They cover all after market parts, and do regular inspections of vehicles being repaired and after they've been repaired. They meet with us twice a year for performance evaluations and I feel they truly are one of the few insurance companies that care about the customer. I'll pm you my agent's name and number and you can try and call him for a quote. Just tell him that Brandon from Oka's Auto Body referred you.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:42 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Geico does that to screw their customers...

Originally Posted by mokeOne
hey, just wondering what you HIICers are paying on insurance.
i currently have geico and my premium has been going up almost $100 every 6 months. i have a clean record and no super high deductibles. checked with a few other companies and i'm getting similar quotes to what i'm paying now. sucks to have to pay this much and i'm not even driving an STI haha
They were doing the same to both my wife and I. As far as Insurance customers, we can be considered as ideal...no tickets, accidents etc...yet every year they raised our premiums...when we asked why, they said they have no control over the rates...what a bunch of B.S.

Do what we did...call Allstate up...tell them you are with Geico and are unhappy...

They reduced our premiums by over $500/yr...

We called Geico to tell them that Allstate was reducing our premiums, and would they do the same...they said, "no". So we moved over...a month after we moved over...guess who calls, yep, Geico...they said because we were such loyal customers (8 years in Hawaii), they would reduce our rates by $500...coincidence? We told them no...

We had asked them prior to the move if they would reduce our premiums, and since they flatly refused and put us through the hassle of moving over to Allstate...we are not giving them a second chance...idiots.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:54 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
I'm with allstate too.

full coverage on 07 wrx and 03 G35, zero deductible, it's like $300 every 6 months.

There are a few tricks to getting it cheaper.

Tell them you drive the car for pleasure, not to work or school. Say you only drive it like a couple of times a month, and you use a company vehicle for work.

tell them it is parked in a locked House garage at night.

Tell them you are an engineer. Engineers get a huge occupational discount.

Drop your personal injury coverage to as low as possible if you have health insurance already.

make sure you use autopay. discount there. If you never pay late, you also get a good payer discount.

make sure they have all of your safety equipment list. passive restaints, airbag, antilock brakes

multiple policy discount if you have home or renters insurance with them

make sure your uninsured/underinsured covererage is "non stacked"

make sure they are aware if you have ever had driver's ed or a training course
Old 12-17-2010, 01:59 PM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by Island Style
They were doing the same to both my wife and I. As far as Insurance customers, we can be considered as ideal...no tickets, accidents etc...yet every year they raised our premiums...when we asked why, they said they have no control over the rates...what a bunch of B.S.

Do what we did...call Allstate up...tell them you are with Geico and are unhappy...

They reduced our premiums by over $500/yr...

We called Geico to tell them that Allstate was reducing our premiums, and would they do the same...they said, "no". So we moved over...a month after we moved over...guess who calls, yep, Geico...they said because we were such loyal customers (8 years in Hawaii), they would reduce our rates by $500...coincidence? We told them no...

We had asked them prior to the move if they would reduce our premiums, and since they flatly refused and put us through the hassle of moving over to Allstate...we are not giving them a second chance...idiots.
Haha, funny how they could all of a sudden find a way to reduce your rates huh? Good for them, they lost a loyal customer. The worst thing about it is that they had a chance to keep a customer, but didn't.

Realistically, it's a buyers market right now and the insurance companies should know that people are looking at ways to save money. I would do exactly what Brent did and shop around. Again, price should not be the only deciding factor, but if you ask companies if they can match a competitors price, chances are they'll be willing to at least get close. At that point, you've already started saving money.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:26 PM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
called Liberty Mutual and switching on Monday.
Cost will run me $1500 for both autos for 1 year and I get larger $ amount coverage per accident and personal injury.

Saving about $500/yr and this being a state farm customer with clean record for at least 10 yrs plus,....

$532.18/6 mos for 05 sti
$438.71/6 mos for 08 Titan king cab long bed

Clean record, multiple car and home insurance all thru State Farm. There are 2 other cars we have too, but these 2 are the ones I want to compare to you guys/gals,..

Last edited by abakja1; 12-23-2010 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:47 PM

Car Info: 05 wrb wrx wagon
i forgot to say that when i first got the 08 wrx, i was only paying like $450/6 months. in two years they jacked it up almost $200. pretty lame. so yeah, thanks for the replies everybody. time to sit through a bunch of automated menus/recordings. hahah
Old 12-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Xen

Car Info: DDP
$400+/6 months, allstate, clean record, and 18. i think its a pretty good price.
i actually had to wait till i was 18, or 30 days before my 18th birthday to purchase insurance...or else id pay double the amount i do now.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Has anyone tried out Island Insurance??
Old 12-20-2010, 12:13 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
Originally Posted by Bran808
Holy crap are you serious $550 a year for 2 cars? Or did you mean $150/month. That's super cheap.
$550/yr for my two subies, and another $250/yr for my miata... so not too bad I guess, $800/yr for 3 cars! doesn't really make that much sense when I drive only one car though...

Quick Reply: car insurance