Cant hit peak boost anymore

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 12:17 AM

Car Info: '05 Legacy GT Wagon "Bro Tuned"
Cant hit peak boost anymore

thanks for the input folks on the other thread. This is my first turbo car that I have personally owned. So Im still learning. I know the boost is supposed to tapper off, not longer I can hit high boost. When I first got the pro-tune I would hit 19. somthing pounds. Now I cant get above 16lbs.

I've been told I may have to change out my waste gate. And my boost actuator. i dunno, hopefully I can learn more from your inputs.

I am looking at the boost actuator from AVO any other recemndations?
http://www.rallitek.com/avoboac.html

What about the waste gate?

thanks folks
Old 08-03-2007, 12:24 AM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
try tightening your wastegate but i would look at the last mod you did being the culperate. i mean if right after you installed the bov/bpv then it's probably not holding boost. try tightening it down or adding shims to tighten the spring. before you go messing with it though put your stock one back on and see if you can get to 19lbs. if so then the valve is bad, if not then try adj the wategate actuator and tightening it to try to hold more boost. just my $0.02
Old 08-03-2007, 12:30 AM

Car Info: 05 Aspen White STi 02 PSM Bugeye RIP
could be multiple things: leaky bov, small boost or possible exhaust (preturbo) leak, (most likely if its a leak its a boost leak.. not exhaust if your not hitting peak boost, however its not impossible), boost solenoid issues, or most likely wastegate woes.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:31 AM

it wasnt hitting 19 before I did the BOV. I figured since Im no-turbo genious the BOV might help. Im gonna try tighten the BOV screw, maybe I can get some input help tommrow at the "big meat." How do i tighten the waste gate and the acuator?
Old 08-03-2007, 12:37 AM

Car Info: 05 Aspen White STi 02 PSM Bugeye RIP
its faily simple. the wastegate arm can be rotated and tightened, it controls the flapper arm located on the turbo wastegate, and as far as the solenoid is concerned thats an item you may have to replace.. it cannot be adjusted.. however start simple and try everything first before you start replacing things.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:48 AM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
you don't need to tighten the bov if it wasn't running right before. start by making sure all your hoses are tight and that they are all attached, especially the intake ones. then tighten the wasetgate and see where you end up.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:52 AM

I will try to figure out how to tighten the waste gate. If someone if off tommrow, would someone mind giving a how to do these things. Im not to familiar with what to touch on the motor and what not to touch.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:37 AM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5MT SWP
Can you datalog? Maybe someone here can get you going in the right direction if you can provide your ROM and a couple of 3rd gear pulls.

Remembered reading this earlier on adjusting the WG arm. Hope you can get your boost back to target.

http://www.xpttuning.com/osecuroms/viewtopic.php?t=325

Last edited by BigHonu; 08-03-2007 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:56 AM

thanks, now I jsut need a picture tutorial and Im set
Old 08-03-2007, 01:58 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
Originally Posted by BugeyeMilo
its faily simple. the wastegate arm can be rotated and tightened, it controls the flapper arm located on the turbo wastegate, and as far as the solenoid is concerned thats an item you may have to replace.. it cannot be adjusted.. however start simple and try everything first before you start replacing things.
agreed.. more exactly though what mods do you have and when did you notice that you weren't hitting your "peak" boost mark of 19psi? is it possible that your tune was only to about 16psi instead of the 19psi that you're accustom to seeing and that you're just boost spiking to the 19psi rather than holding at 19psi?

Since you have a Legacy GT I'm not sure if the wastegate flapper arm can be adjusted.. you'll know if you have a threaded piece on the arm. If you do not then you have a fixed arm.

DO NOT start to add things to your car to attempt to fix the problem if the problem was there before adding the bov. I would take the bov off and go from there. how about your gas? you could be suffering from ****ty fuel.

verify your hoses around that area make sure that you put back on the stock bypass valve and make sure that everything is connected correctly and securely. do not half *** this. be meticulous and double or even triple check everything. do NOT over tighten things as that will cause more problems. over tightening has been known to cause leaks as well. follow torque specs.

if at all possible get a person you trust to watch the boost gauge (you do have one right?) watch the performance and if you can log I would log the entire time. If you have Defi gauges you can record the entire session and then play it back later. get a digital video camera and record the playback and post it up on youtube or something so that we can see how your boost is tappering or spiking

Jon
Old 08-03-2007, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Bigkahuna808
thanks, now I jsut need a picture tutorial and Im set
are you serious? dude this is not paint by picture man... learn stuff about your car. research. there is more to modifying your car then to just say oh i bought this lets just put it on and get faster. the wrong things can and will make you slower and not run correctly
Old 08-03-2007, 02:02 AM

HERE YOU GO... HERE IS SOME PICTURES: http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...ight=WASTEGATE

this is for a WRX not a LGT but the same principle can be applied

Last edited by iNfEk; 08-03-2007 at 02:06 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:15 AM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5MT SWP
Another thing I just remembered:

Check the tabs that attach the plastic end-tanks onto the TMIC. Seems like they have a tendency to work loose at STG2 levels.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:36 AM

thats right, I rember the plastic end tanks having issues at stage II. Thanks for the pic, I shall take a look today and see what I can do without breaking anything.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:52 PM

So what exactly does the alen screw on top the BOV do. From my understanding it increases and decreases the pressure on the pressure release spring. How would I find the proper setting on this screw?

Quick Reply: Cant hit peak boost anymore