cant decide on gauges, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 08:22 AM

Car Info: EQ Built/Tuned WRX
i have prosport, boost, egt, and oil pressure gauges... they are not bad gauges, and they look nice, but my oil temp gauge just decided to randomly stop working after about 5 months of install. for the price they are great gauges, and they look nice as well.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:33 PM

Car Info: STi (cornering, accelerating and braking hard).
Just my opinion.

In my mind I break down gauges into two areas. Gauges you use during your drive to monitor real time engine vitals - boost, oil temp, oil pressure. These you use at the track and are directly affected by how you drive the car.

The other area is tuning gauges - afr, egt, fuel pressure, etc. While nice to have during your daily commute, they mostly come in when tuning the car. I can't see myself stopping on the side of the road to adjust my afr. But when it's time to tune, the afr is essential.

I'm one of those types that get overloaded by the sheer number of gauges I see in some cars these days. I have a buddy whose STi has every single gauge possible including some kinda HKS digital boost thing. I don't even know where to begin to look.

BTW I use Defi Imperial BF w/link system and they are absolutely reliable since day one.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:40 PM

Car Info: 04 sti
thanks everyone appreciate all the info on the gauges and your setups. I think I will be going with the aem digi's, might need a lil help installing though cuz I HATE doing electronics
Old 06-29-2010, 06:09 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
For Wideband O2 sensors, I really like the Zeitronix one: http://zeitronix.com/
Old 06-30-2010, 04:36 AM

Car Info: 2015 CWP STI
Originally Posted by Risk3233
Just my opinion.

In my mind I break down gauges into two areas. Gauges you use during your drive to monitor real time engine vitals - boost, oil temp, oil pressure. These you use at the track and are directly affected by how you drive the car.

The other area is tuning gauges - afr, egt, fuel pressure, etc. While nice to have during your daily commute, they mostly come in when tuning the car. I can't see myself stopping on the side of the road to adjust my afr. But when it's time to tune, the afr is essential.

I'm one of those types that get overloaded by the sheer number of gauges I see in some cars these days. I have a buddy whose STi has every single gauge possible including some kinda HKS digital boost thing. I don't even know where to begin to look.
For me, I consolidated my gauges in 3 places.

Pressure gauges on the left side: Boost, Oil Press, Fuel Press

AFR in the middle: I think AFR is essential all the time, and not just for tuning sessions.

Temp Gauges on the right side: EGT, Oil Temp, Water Temp

And since I ran piggybacks, I did tune on the fly. I guess it depends on the user. I work on jet engines so it's second nature for me to be bombarded with gauges, hahaha!!