Can someone explain this trade-in for me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Can someone explain this trade-in for me?

Hey guys,
I'm having a hard time understanding this trade-in I had at newcitynissan yesterday. I took my 05 wrx (black, 11k miles, only a few rock chips and dings, all stock) in for an appraisal and I was appalled at what the dealer told me. First they offered to pay off my loan and that was it ($10,100). Then they said $14,000. I asked about the kbb trade-in value and they told me they do it by the wholesale trade-in and not the retail trade-in. Also they kept straying away from showing me why my car was worth only $14,000 max to them.
On top of that, they told me they would resell the car for $15,500. They also told me the reason they were being generous with the $14,000 is that they could get it brand new for $20,000. I was puzzled because they said they called subaru and asked how much it would cost if they bought it from subaru and that's how they get my value. I just said nevermind and walked out.

Is this how it goes or is something wrong with these people?

Last edited by whitecel; 12-23-2006 at 12:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by whitecel
Hey guys,
I'm having a hard time understanding this trade-in I had at newcitynissan yesterday. I took my 05 wrx (black, 11k miles, only a few rock chips and dings, all stock) in for an appraisal and I was appalled at what the dealer told me. First they offered to pay off my loan and that was it ($10,100). Then they said $14,000. I asked about the kbb trade-in value and they told me they do it by the wholesale trade-in and not the retail trade-in. Also they kept straying away from showing me why my car was worth only $14,000 max to them.
On top of that, they told me they would resell the car for $15,500. They also told me the reason they were being generous with the $14,000 is that they could get it brand new for $20,000. I was puzzled because they said they called subaru and asked how much it would cost if they bought it from subaru and that's how they get my value. I just said nevermind and walked out.

Sounds weird!! But you can try ask my uncle(ELNino)!! He knows the in's and out's.. I would try and contact him but just gone done with work and going sleep soon
Old 12-23-2006, 01:33 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Hey guys,

hahaha the oldest trick in the book. "i called subaru" i use to sale subys and we did that i called nissan,honda, ect. they have a whole sale book that is marked down about 3k underthe kbb listing u see on kbb. then they will try to sell your car for retail of kbb. u are better off selling your car by urself. then to trade it in. and they actually gve u less if you have mods. and if they give you more then kbb trade in then there getting you on the new car ur getting it's all bout playing tricks with u on numbers.
Old 12-23-2006, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
They rape you on trade in just sell it private party
Old 12-23-2006, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by shaggadelic
hahaha the oldest trick in the book. "i called subaru" i use to sale subys and we did that i called nissan,honda, ect. they have a whole sale book that is marked down about 3k underthe kbb listing u see on kbb. then they will try to sell your car for retail of kbb. u are better off selling your car by urself. then to trade it in. and they actually gve u less if you have mods. and if they give you more then kbb trade in then there getting you on the new car ur getting it's all bout playing tricks with u on numbers.
Does this apply to all dealerships? He told me that $14,000 is the highest I would find anywhere. Damn these people.

They offered to give me the full $19,000, but they said i would need to buy the car at regular price. The 350z with all the discount/rebate was $26,741. Then I asked how much at regular price and he told me $30,000+. Kinda weird for just a base.

I was thinking if subaru gives more, maybe i'll just trade in for a sti instead
Old 12-23-2006, 01:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 07 Car
Do it STI FTW
Old 12-23-2006, 02:31 PM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
my brother is trying to sell his 350Z. only wants like 23k or something. selling below kbb with mods. just sell your car private and by his.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:40 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
Does this apply to all dealerships? He told me that $14,000 is the highest I would find anywhere. Damn these people.
yeh if they tell u they'll give u more then that usally means the car your buying will be marked up. best to sell it on your own then go buy a car
Old 12-23-2006, 11:13 PM

Trading in a car is generally for chumps, but in the dealers defense, they have to make money. There are usually a lot of associated costs in preparing a trade in for sale, not to mention the space it takes on the lot.

The only reason to trade in a car is if something is wrong with it that you don't want to disclose, or would feel bad not disclosing to a personal buyer.

ie, nearly busted trans, previously highly modified and hard raced motor's, etc.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
dealerships are businesses that involve lots of money, therefore they are stingy
Old 12-23-2006, 11:58 PM

i've visited other dealers and some of them give you close to what is fair. i.e. With my celica, they came close to what i wanted. Newcitynissan insulted me. Not to mention they were planning to charge my parents 3000 for changing a intake manifold gasket and motor mounts.

Toyota is pretty good. My friend bought 3 toyota's from them, 2 at the same, and they were friendly and gave a discount. I thought i was going to get some courtesy because my parents bought 2 altimas from them.

O well, i guess I'll try to sell it. If not, then turbo upgrade!
Old 12-24-2006, 12:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
I'd do a private sale, it may take more effort but you'll get more money
Old 12-24-2006, 03:28 AM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
sell it private. and new city will do what it can to rip you an new butthole.

i went there and the dealer wanted $22,000 for an SER sentra........
Old 12-24-2006, 10:19 AM

Car Info: black bugeye
O well, i guess I'll try to sell it. If not, then turbo upgrade!
Go for the upgrade.... Cheeewhooooo
Old 12-26-2006, 09:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
OK and this is for all of you...

The dealers don't use what you and I refer to as the Blue Book...they have a "Black Book" that they use to determine how much they should pay for and sell a car. Normally they will buy a car for roughly 60-70% of its retail value which means that they will hopefully make 40-30% in profit. Its how they do business...too bad so sad...they gotta make money.

You should NEVER trade in a car unless you drive a piece of crap and the dealer is willing to take it for more than its worth to get you to buy a much more expensive car.

ALWAYS sell your car privately...you get the actual retail for the car and the buyer will also get a better price than what they would've gotten at the dealership. So buying person-to-person is usually a lot better than buying/selling to a dealer.

The pluses from buying from a dealer is that they do financing (you can get person-to-person financing it is just harder), do a check on the car (you can get this done by a mechanic), offer a short warranty (mostly 3 months), etc.

My advice is to sell your car personally. It will take longer but the rewards will be huge...if you have the patience. Then, go buy Justin's brother's car...its sweet.

Quick Reply: Can someone explain this trade-in for me?