A/C Problemos

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:27 AM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
A/C Problemos

So yesterday I noticed my car is just not putting out ANY air conditioned air. I figured it was outta coolant and I would just go a pick up some stop leak and recharge the system, (as i have done on all my past vehicles). Only difference this time is i noticed that the compresser isnt even trying. In the past vehicles it would turn on and then off and on and then off, but nothing in my current case. Just wondering if this is just how subaru rolls. I havent had a chance to check my compressor if it getting power but just wondering.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 AM

Car Info: EQ Tuned * Corn Juiced '05 WRX
Happened to me once, but that's only because I shorted out some stuff when I was rewiring things. Check your fuses!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:42 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
is the clutch activating with your ac on even though it doesn't output any cold air?
Old 04-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by iNfEk
is the clutch activating with your ac on even though it doesn't output any cold air?
Nope. Not doing anything which is what threw me off. I'll check fuses today since i have some time
Old 04-28-2011, 11:09 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
It's more likely that you're low on R134a (the refrigerant for the AC) not coolant for your radiator. If you don't have enough system pressure the clutch won't kick on. Further, you'll need to determine why you don't have enough pressure. What is causing the leak. Look on your AC line that connects from the AC condenser (front of car behind radiator) to your ac compressor. Look for any oil and move any foam out of the way to inspect the line. You could also have a leaky expansion valve which sits between the fire wall and the upper AC line that runs along your fire wall. AC is a ***** to diagnose but living here... it's worth the troubleshooting. Remember if you vent to atmosphere and you're caught... it's a 10k fine.

Fuses?
Old 04-28-2011, 01:33 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
you cna hotwire the compressor, but doing so without any refridgerant and oil could damage the compressor. get a refill r134a kit from checkers/walmart/where ever, and fill it to see if it turns back on.
if it does, it means you have a leak somewhere. half the time its worn rubber orings, half the time its the expansion valve (which is under the dash, in the passenger compartment of the firewall)
Old 04-28-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by iNfEk
It's more likely that you're low on R134a (the refrigerant for the AC) not coolant for your radiator. If you don't have enough system pressure the clutch won't kick on. Further, you'll need to determine why you don't have enough pressure. What is causing the leak. Look on your AC line that connects from the AC condenser (front of car behind radiator) to your ac compressor. Look for any oil and move any foam out of the way to inspect the line. You could also have a leaky expansion valve which sits between the fire wall and the upper AC line that runs along your fire wall. AC is a ***** to diagnose but living here... it's worth the troubleshooting. Remember if you vent to atmosphere and you're caught... it's a 10k fine.

Fuses?
Got it going. Got this PM while at Oreillys so that was perfect timing. Thats a nice safety feature to not clutch in if low on coolant. Thing came to like 2 seconds after activating my refil can