Broke my clutch...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 03:25 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Unhappy Broke my clutch...

Well, OK, not the clutch itself, it's actually the hydraulic line. On my way home from the test n tune yesterday I stopped off to get some ice cream (mmmmmm.... iiiiice cream). Hopped back in the car, clutch in, started car, tried to put it in reverse. Grrrrrrind. Not sure how others' cars are, but mine has always had occasional problems going into reverse, and I normally just cycle the clutch pedal, or go into 5th then reverse to fix it. So I try 5th and it doesn't want to go into gear - no grinding, it just won't go. So I try 3rd and 4th - no go. What the....?? I let my foot off the clutch pedal and the pedal stays on the floor! Double what the...???

Well, a bit of searching and it turns out the clutch hydraulic line is split right by the slave cylinder. I guess nearly 136,000 miles of clutch cycling, heat cycles, vibration, etc did it in. My roommate and I tried the ghetto duct tape fix but that didn't work, so we towed the car back to our house with his Ranger. Fortunately the shopping center I was parked in is only 3/4mi down the road so it wasn't too hard.

Now I need to find myself a new hose and get that installed, otherwise I don't know what I'll be driving for next weekend's auto-x.

Pat Olsen
'97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan

PS - Oh, and my damn parking brake is broken, too. First the little button on the handle popped off, but the brake would still work - I just had to put the button in place to unlock the brake. After doing that a few times it stopped working completely - when I pull up on the handle I get no ratcheting effect, nothin', handle just goes right back down without engaging the brakes. Grrrr....
Old 09-26-2004, 04:26 PM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
so....what flavor ice cream did you get???

jay <- not much help today
Old 09-26-2004, 05:54 PM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
Jeez Pat, sounds like you're due for a new car. The new Legacy is out .
Old 09-26-2004, 10:37 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Mint chip with little mini M&Ms on top.

Considering how much of a f@#king beating this Legacy has taken in the past few years I've had very, very few problems. I had the head gaskets go twice, but the second time was nearly 60,000 miles ago, so apparently the re-designed 4-layer gaskets work much better. I've had two wheel bearings replaced, and now this clutch thing. That's basically it. I bought the car with 54,000mi on it in Nov '01 and it now has nearly 136,000mi on it. That mileage includes around 20-22 days on track, I don't know how many auto-cross runs, a number of top speed runs, and my generally aggressive street driving, and it's taken it all. There's no way I'm replacing this thing with some namby pamby new Legacy.

Well, not yet at least....

Pat
Old 09-27-2004, 12:22 AM

Car Info: JBP 04' WRX
Originally Posted by poser
so....what flavor ice cream did you get???

that was way too FUNNY!!! lmao

-ROB <---------sorry not much help either.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:09 AM

Pat, sorry to hear that dude. Hope you can fix it in time for Sunday.
Old 09-27-2004, 12:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2014 Mazda MX-5 GT PRHT
I love ice cream too!
Old 09-27-2004, 12:48 PM
VIP Member

I love the Ice Cream from the Polynesian Cultural Center show.. the one in the Pineapple half!! MMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!! Deliciosooo!!!!
Old 09-27-2004, 01:24 PM
VIP Member

What's bubbies ice cream?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:23 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon JAVA BLACK PEARL
hey about that problem going into reverse thing. is that common in 04 rex's too? i have that problem all the time the gate is a pain in the a$$ to get into. prolly 3/5 times i have to cycle the clutch to get it to go in. anybody else with a 02/03/04 have this problem?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:25 PM
VIP Member

yeah.. I have that problem. it sucks when you're makin a U-turn and you have to back up and that stupid reverse doesn't wanna work. Must have been made in the USA... Lazy parts are just like lazy americans.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
Originally Posted by sireatalot
What's bubbies ice cream?
bubbies is a local ice cream brand. their ice cream IMHO is good in their cakes/pies and mochi. in fact we just had 2 dozen mochi ice creams last night. i just don't care for their ice cream in a cone/cup. i like baskin robbins mint chip and rocky road otherwise.

damn pat, was that right after the off ramp? and did you get revenge on the bro yet for the button? b
Old 09-27-2004, 05:27 PM

Car Info: AWD/FWD/RWD
Originally Posted by kscsentragtr
wait.. what does it mean to cycle the clutch???
push the pedal in an out; disengage/engage it in order to spin the input shaft on the transmission so that the gears can mesh.

Quick Reply: Broke my clutch...