brake shop info....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 02:55 PM

brake shop info....

anyone know where is a good place to get my brakes done? i basically need to just pop out the piston using an air compressor or something. i don't have it at home. any info would be good, mahalo guys.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:26 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
why do you need to take the piston out of your caliper? did you tear the boot? If you want to be able to relieve the piston of pressure, you can simploy open the bleed screw on the caliper and push it back with your hands then tighten the screw back and bleed your brakes.

if you're looking for a shop that does multiple different things for your subaru and you don't want to do it yourself then you should see vakamon. search and you will find many people saying the same thing.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by iNfEk
why do you need to take the piston out of your caliper? did you tear the boot? If you want to be able to relieve the piston of pressure, you can simploy open the bleed screw on the caliper and push it back with your hands then tighten the screw back and bleed your brakes.

if you're looking for a shop that does multiple different things for your subaru and you don't want to do it yourself then you should see vakamon. search and you will find many people saying the same thing.
i'm going to overhaul my brakes. one of the pistons is siezed and i'm pretty sure it's due to a bad seal. i figured that since i'm gonna do one, i may as well do both. i'll try to contact vakamon. much mahalo Jon!
Old 10-09-2006, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by clamdip
i'm going to overhaul my brakes. one of the pistons is siezed and i'm pretty sure it's due to a bad seal. i figured that since i'm gonna do one, i may as well do both. i'll try to contact vakamon. much mahalo Jon!
actually instead of overhauling your brakes why don't you look into an upgrade . I know that 91sleeper was selling a set of brakes at one point. he still might be wililng to sell it
Old 10-09-2006, 07:52 PM

actually instead of overhauling your brakes why don't you look into an upgrade . I know that 91sleeper was selling a set of brakes at one point. he still might be wililng to sell it
sorry, Jon, i forgot to mention that these are STi brembos. haha. my bad. i was actually considering selling these, but i figure, maybe if i can get these overhauled and back to good working condition, if i did decide to sell them i wouldn't leave the burden on the buyer to go get it overhauled and stuff. my future plans are still in the working.

as for these brembos, i changed out the pads, got the rotors cut as well and i have a spare set of slotted brembo sport rotors available but still need to be cut as well. i don't know, we'll see. thanks again Jon, your help is, as always, top notch.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:22 PM

slotted rotors cannot be cut unless you have a special machine.

the brembos would be worth servicing. I would still suggest vakamon. unfortunately i dunno if they don't anything like that before. they should be able to do it no problem since they are able to do tranny jobs to replace gears and synchros. brake shouldn't be to bad. you should (hopefully be able to get the parts from subaru / if not brembo) be able to get the parts and have Ryan at vakamon service them.

Jon
Old 10-09-2006, 08:55 PM

slotted rotors cannot be cut unless you have a special machine.

the brembos would be worth servicing. I would still suggest vakamon. unfortunately i dunno if they don't anything like that before. they should be able to do it no problem since they are able to do tranny jobs to replace gears and synchros. brake shouldn't be to bad. you should (hopefully be able to get the parts from subaru / if not brembo) be able to get the parts and have Ryan at vakamon service them.

Jon
i sent vakamon a PM (thanks again for the refer). i'm pretty sure i requested Ryan. i heard he's good. also, i went to this place called Quality Tire down in waipahu. they said that their machine, which they used to cut my OEM brembo rotors, is actually made to cut slotted rotors too (i asked them if they can do it and that's what they told me). crazy yeah. so, for future reference, if you or anybody else has slotted rotors that need to be cut, check them out. it's pretty cheap too.

yeah, i hope they can do it with no problem. i have all the seals and everything ready to be put in.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:58 PM

you have all the seals already? realy? where'd you aquire them from?

if the slotted rotors are new then you probably won't have to cut them until you change brake pads again.

thanks for the info on the rotors. now if I can afford them again that'll be a different story

Jon

- If you aquired them from Subaru please provide pictures and part numbers. The same goes for if you had to get them from Brembo

It would be very useful later on for someone needing to do this
Old 10-09-2006, 09:43 PM

you have all the seals already? realy? where'd you aquire them from?

if the slotted rotors are new then you probably won't have to cut them until you change brake pads again.

thanks for the info on the rotors. now if I can afford them again that'll be a different story

Jon

- If you aquired them from Subaru please provide pictures and part numbers. The same goes for if you had to get them from Brembo

It would be very useful later on for someone needing to do this
here's the part number: 26297FE010 it's just the Brembo seal kit for the STi comes with seals and dust boots. i got mine for about $70 from subarugenuineparts.com

the slotted rotors are used but still in good condition. i just need to get them cut because they got a little grooved by the pads. shouldn't be too bad though. i'll probably take them to Quality Tire and get them cut when i have the time.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:45 PM

thanks
Old 10-09-2006, 09:58 PM

no prob! thank you Jon!