BOV help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 02:48 PM

BOV help

does anyone know what could be wrong? i tried to switch my blowoff from a turbosmart to the turboXS RFL. when i switched them my car was idleing funny and would stall every so often. the RPMs between shifts would also drop a lot quicker and lower. i checked for leaks in the hoses and flange but nothing seems to be wrong... i was thinking that the spring in the blowoff might be jammed or maybe it needs a little lube.. would that be causing the problems? maybe its that the blowoff is made for different psi levels? right now im running 15 lbs. boost on stage 1 and 17 on stage 2 but im not sure what the blowoff is capable of.. will spacers/washers help if i put them in? well, right now im running my old turbosmart blowoff and its doing fine but i really want to put back that turboXS so if anyone can help then it would be greatly appreciated. please let me know... thanks.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:51 PM

Car Info: 06 F4I & 04 G35 CHEHOOO
hmm, same problem i had when i switched from my hks to rfl. my car would idle real low. sometimes even jumping up and down when i start it. for me, i think i have a small leak cuz the hose i had was too big for the reducer. imma get that fixed today.... sorry, wouldnt know, maybe check everything again.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:27 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by myroncuz
hmm, same problem i had when i switched from my hks to rfl. my car would idle real low. sometimes even jumping up and down when i start it. for me, i think i have a small leak cuz the hose i had was too big for the reducer. imma get that fixed today.... sorry, wouldnt know, maybe check everything again.
Do you still have your hks????

Interested...
Old 09-13-2004, 03:45 PM

heh, sorry, but the hks is mine. the rfl im using is another members. we're just trading for a couple of months.. my bad dude. so i have his rfl and he has my hks.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 07 limited
you have to use the washer/spacers.... TXS's website recommends at least 5 for and STi... I have a TXS BOV in my car and had to use the washers to hold boost. Put them in and you should be fine
Old 09-13-2004, 11:10 PM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
^^^ what he said. you need more washers in there.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:47 AM

Car Info: JBP 04' WRX
its true that the txs rfl bov is not the best bov out there. but the sound is unparalleled to other bov's in my opinion....i was running 4 washers in my rfl for awile but could never get that nice sound out of it.....i've noticed that same dreaded rpm drop everytime i would get in the car, i'm assuming this bov does this because it tends to open at any boost level causing the car to run extremely rich to the point where the car bogs(like almost dying out). i'm pretty sure everyone else who has this bov+uppipe= major backfire! (like gunshots going off everytime you let off the gas).....although i'm talking alot of smack about this bov the sound alone makes it all worth it! .....oh and Myron if you need those washers give me a call lol

-ROB

Last edited by playa7; 09-14-2004 at 12:51 AM.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:02 PM

yo rob, how many washers are in there now? 4 you said?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:01 PM

I put (if I remember correctly) 4 in mine... and I just have a WRX, granted a stg4 one... At first I put in 3 and it was still not running right. So if you put in 4, add another one and see how it works out. If that doesn't help add another. If you have 6 in there and it still is not helping then I would call the guys over at TXS... they are nice (when you can get ahold of them) I am sure they would be willing to help you out.

I have never had a probem with it holding boost. Infact I bought it because the stock one was not holding the 19lbs that I am running. Once I got the right combination of washer in it... it works great. I an not running rich. This I know. I tuned the car with Phil (formally of TXS) and I am running around 11:5:1 AFR

Last edited by RAGE; 09-14-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:37 PM

yo rob, how many washers are in there now? 4 you said?

actually none are in there now.i took them out for maximum sound....but i had 4 washers in it up untill a couple weeks ago.....you need em??.... actually you could substitute almost any good size washer in it,if you got some. my friend had this bov and he lost some of the washers and put some quarters in it instead! it actually worked lol....

-ROB
Old 09-14-2004, 07:13 PM

oh damn!!! i thought there were at least some it them. heh. anyways, yeah lemme try put some in... um, i wont bother you then, lemme go met up with mr wizard and he can show me how.

also, on my hks, plz dont change the **** in the back of the bov... i heard that peeps try to play with it to get more sound and it just meeses it up or something.. mahalo.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:24 PM

also, on my hks, plz dont change the **** in the back of the bov... i heard that peeps try to play with it to get more sound and it just meeses it up or something.. mahalo.
no prob,will do.

oh and watch out when you guys unscrew that cap...it tends to fly out sometimes!
oh and you dont have to take it off the intercooler to do this. just watch out for that pesky spring!.....after you add washers though you might notice a different sound (not as loud or long as before) prolly cause the spring tension is tighter causing the bov to close faster. this will prolly help with leaky boost issues and premature blow offs (that causes bogging and running rich).maybe i should just get my car tuned! instead haha laters

-ROB
Old 09-15-2004, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by playa7
premature blow offs
Old 09-15-2004, 10:58 AM

Talking prob fixed

well guys... my problem is fixed.... i stuck in 2 washers and its alright now.. im probably gonna try to add more and see what happens... im kinda disapointed with the sound now but iz all good. it got a little softer and the pitch got higher but its not too bad... my idleing is fine and as for the backfire, its super minor.. although it feels like i lost power when switching from my turbosmart BOV, the sound makes it worth it.. if anyone needs help then just let me know... all you gotta do is take off the vacuum hose, unscrew the top of the blowoff (watch out for the spring... its pretty strong), then add washers to the base of the BOV. you can disconnect the flange from the cooler if you wanna be safe.. when you screw the BOV back, make sure the spring is straight! i recommend starting with 1 washer then if you feel like youre still having a problem, add another... so 1 by 1 and so on...
by the way, did anyone ever have a problem due to not lubing the pistonin the blowoff? and if anyone knows, is there a special lube i gotta use?
Old 09-15-2004, 11:54 AM

I really would recommend putting in more then one washer... unless all you want the BOV for is sound? I bought mine so that my car would hold boost, not really for the sound of it. I could care less about the sound. I am more worried about the car running strong. I am sure that if you go to www.turboxs.com they will instruct you to put in at least 5 washers. This is to ensure that you are holding boost.