Boost Spike? CEL?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:31 AM

Car Info: my wife crazy with buying parts
Boost Spike? CEL?

OK OK so driving home from work and im doin 45 in 5th just cruisin. Speed limit increases to 60mph so i just decided to stay in gear and WOT to see how my car will accelerate now that I have fixed my exhaust leaks. So after a second or so of waiting my usualy boost kicks in. Mind you I have NO boost gauges so this is all seat of my pants. Anyways...boost kicks in and suddently a HUGE burst of power kicks in putting me back in my chair and rocketing me from 60-80 in a split second. I let off power and recreate it and same thing but threw a CEL this time. So I give her one more shot but down shift and rev match (unnecessary) to 2nd and hit boost and shift to third hit boost and no problems.
SO because I am a noob I am wanting to know is this called a BOOST SPIKE? If so then I will look around the fourms on how to fix and all but I just am trying to make sure im looking in the right direction.
Side note. I did tune with the car having exhaust leaks (no knowing at the time cause i was noobier than i am currently). I am assuming now that the leak is fixed my tune map is all jacked up

THANK FOR READING and responding in a non-*******/lesbian way
Old 09-21-2011, 03:40 AM

Car Info: VF39'd EWG bugeye/ 99' Miata
get a boost gauge and see if you are spiking
Old 09-21-2011, 04:29 AM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
needs more info. What's the CEL?
Old 09-21-2011, 08:20 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
needs more info what are your mods????
Old 09-21-2011, 09:11 AM

I'll check the CEL today. Known mods are. NO know cats, up pipe. Down pipe to full exhaust minus cats, vf39, STI pinks 5xx cc(srry noob and can't remember this early, STI fuel pump, grim speed EBCS, 50/50 bpv, drop in filter, tune, the vacuum tubes that ran across intercooler were routed underneath it, 5w-30 fully synthetic G-Oil( not sure if that matters in this situation). That's all I can think of or have discovered
Old 09-21-2011, 11:42 AM

Car Info: VF39'd EWG bugeye/ 99' Miata
If you have an access port, just use that to check
Old 09-21-2011, 06:14 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Boost creep, loading the car like that in a high gear will cause an overboost until the rpm of the motor increases and is able to use the air is being blown into it. More prominent on smaller motors ( yours 2.0l ) because the motor can spool the turbo faster than it can use the air the turbo is generating. This can all be solved with an ewg because the real problem is your Iwg cannot bypass enough to maintain your boost setting at that high load.

Footnotes: our motors don't like high loads in high gears, always downshift before you wot because it will a: accelerate faster b: put less stress on the motor, and c: mitigate chance of overboost possibly exploding your incredibly fragile, old, motor.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Krang
Boost creep, loading the car like that in a high gear will cause an overboost until the rpm of the motor increases and is able to use the air is being blown into it. More prominent on smaller motors ( yours 2.0l ) because the motor can spool the turbo faster than it can use the air the turbo is generating. This can all be solved with an ewg because the real problem is your Iwg cannot bypass enough to maintain your boost setting at that high load.

Footnotes: our motors don't like high loads in high gears, always downshift before you wot because it will a: accelerate faster b: put less stress on the motor, and c: mitigate chance of overboost possibly exploding your incredibly fragile, old, motor.
SweetThanks! That just confirms my Mod that i would like to do when im not poor. Make total sence since my 2nd->3rd didnt have a problem. The leak is what helped the IWG bypass enough exhaust and now that the leak is fixed it ran into the problem.
Old 09-21-2011, 07:07 PM

More than likely, yes. This phenomena is fun, but can be very detrimental to our motors because it creates a situation where the ebcs is completely out of control of boost pressure. I'm not sure what you spiked to, but when I had my 20g, I had spiked to 25-27 psi on a couple occasions before I realized it. This was while being tuned to 21.5. That 5psi difference on our dated ej205's can cause some damage. Small hotside and large compressor side were factors for me, not so much for you, but the same idea applies.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:36 PM

I have no clue what i boosted to but it felt like a bunch. When i tuned we hit 21psi but we backed it down to 18 for safety, the boost creep felt like waaaayyy more than 21.

ALSO CEL cleared.
Thanks again for help peeps
Old 09-22-2011, 08:15 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX

The reason I asked for mods was I had the same issue when I was on my 2.0 after I instlled my K&N Typhoon.

My car got too much boost and it went into limp mode temporarily. But I agree with the above quote thats what happened. I have heard its a little common so yeah just down shift....Glad you got the answer
Old 09-22-2011, 01:11 PM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN

Thank you!

that's one of the most concise explanations of boost creep i've read anywhere - and it explains the point of an ewg clearly as well. it all makes sense to me now (dunno, something about that just clicked.)

also good to know about the downshift before loading - sometimes i'll stay in 6th going up redhill and pop into s# on the way up, heavier on the throttle (not wot anyway). first turbo you know? love to hear that spool up...
Old 09-22-2011, 06:29 PM

Just think about it this way, lets say you are riding a bicycle and you are cruising in a 1:1 gear ratio. Every turn of the crank yields 1 turn of the wheel. If you want to accelerate in this gear ratio you will have to push extremely hard, or even stand up. However, if you downshift to a 2:1 ratio, every two turns of the crank yields one turn of the wheel, you can easily accelerate while staying seated.

So, do you want your motor to stay seated or have to try super hard and even stand up?
Old 09-22-2011, 07:32 PM

Car Info: GR.SEDAN
^ well downshifting i totally get, being in the proper gear has never been a problem (unless i'm lazy) but I never understood boost creep - i'll have to invest in a gauge (or a mount for my phone since i'm using an obd gauge anyway)