Best wireless coverage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:49 PM

Car Info: 2005 Legacy GT
Best wireless coverage?

I'll be attending UH this fall and arriving on Oahu in a few short weeks.

I don't currently have a wireless phone contract and will probably be getting an 808 phone number. I'm debating on whether I should leave Verizon and switch to Sprint when I move. Based on Sprint's coverage maps, they appear to have the most coverage of any major carrier in Hawaii.

However, I'm worried about how reliable Sprint's network is on the islands. Are there many coverage holes while driving around Honolulu? How often do you drop calls when driving? Ever have problems with missed calls or delayed texts?

On the mainland, Verizon's network is nearly perfect. In fact, I don't remember the last time I've dropped a call. So if Sprint's network drops calls I will likely be disappointed, especially if I get stuck in a 2 year contract.

Thanks for your input!

Last edited by bjamerican; 06-24-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:51 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
You will have little or no problem with many wireless services if you're going to stay on campus. Sprint and Verizon have great coverage in some areas like Nanakuli, Waianae, and Wahiawa.

I've been using T-Mobile for years but I'm going to switch to AT&T soon. Their service lately has been horrible. Dropped calls, no GPRS coverage for hours at a time, etc.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:05 AM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
i have sprint/nextel no probs for me i even catch in the tunnels the only spot i have a real hard time catching is lanikai........im gonna re-sign for another year im that happy i can say..lol
Old 06-25-2008, 12:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by BoOm
You will have little or no problem with many wireless services if you're going to stay on campus. Sprint and Verizon have great coverage in some areas like Nanakuli, Waianae, and Wahiawa.

I've been using T-Mobile for years but I'm going to switch to AT&T soon. Their service lately has been horrible. Dropped calls, no GPRS coverage for hours at a time, etc.
Hey J, glad to hear about your services.. I too am a t-mobile customer since their voicestream days and now my services are just horrible.. Dropped calls where I didnt have dropped calls before. Did you get no service whatsoever like a couple of days ago???? Those pics from China was dope..

walter
Old 06-25-2008, 12:12 AM

As of now it looks like I will be living downtown, but I'm hoping to maybe find a place in Manoa Valley (it's sooooooo peaceful there).

I know I will be spending quite a bit of time up on the North Shore and exploring the islands while I'm out there. I don't want to be stuck with a carrier that drops my calls while driving along H-3 or even H-1.

The cost of Verizon's data plans is absolutely ludicrous. On the other hand, Sprint's rates almost seem too good to be true. I'm tempted to switch, but I would like to find out more about Sprint's network quality out there.

Last edited by bjamerican; 06-25-2008 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by dub81
Hey J, glad to hear about your services.. I too am a t-mobile customer since their voicestream days and now my services are just horrible.. Dropped calls where I didnt have dropped calls before. Did you get no service whatsoever like a couple of days ago???? Those pics from China was dope..

walter
Hey Walter! Small world isn't it? This past Thursday and Saturday there were hours where there was no service at all. I still get intermittent service for EDGE internet access on my Sidekick LX. Planning to sell it soon for the new iPhone.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:29 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by BoOm
Hey Walter! Small world isn't it? This past Thursday and Saturday there were hours where there was no service at all. I still get intermittent service for EDGE internet access on my Sidekick LX. Planning to sell it soon for the new iPhone.
WERD!! I think I need to find me a new service provider.. Do you know anybody with AT&T acct. that can provide evidence of no-drop calls?? I know my sis has nextel/SPRINT and im impressed with their receptions but their customer services suck basketBALLS big time!! Tmobile has exceptional customer service and since i've been with them for a long time, I've never had the chance to explore other providers..LMK how it goes if or when you do switch..

laters,
watler
Old 06-25-2008, 12:32 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by bjamerican
As of now it looks like I will be living downtown, but I'm hoping to maybe find a place in Manoa Valley (it's sooooooo peaceful there).

I know I will be spending quite a bit of time up on the North Shore and exploring the islands while I'm out there. I don't want to be stuck with a carrier that drops my calls while driving along H-3 or even H-1.

The cost of Verizon's data plans is absolutely ludicrous. On the other hand, Sprint's rates almost seem too good to be true. I'm tempted to switch, but I would like to find out more about Sprint's network quality out there.
SPRINT has awesome reception on this island no matter where you go or where your at.. 1 instance is with a friend of mine.. We where near the gulch near Kalaheo and my phone didnt have reception, and hers did and I was iritated because of that.

walter
Old 06-25-2008, 12:39 AM

I think Jon still uses AT&T.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:14 AM

Car Info: 2008 Mercedes E350
Damn I just re-signed with T-mobile like 6 months ago for 2 year extension... I'm only using T-mobile because a lot of my friends have it and I get mobile-to-mobile
Old 06-25-2008, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by 04silverWRXSTI
Damn I just re-signed with T-mobile like 6 months ago for 2 year extension... I'm only using T-mobile because a lot of my friends have it and I get mobile-to-mobile
Does T-Mo even have coverage on the other islands? I seem to remember seeing a coverage map that indicated coverage on Oahu only. T-Mobile's customer service is supposed to be great, and their prices are good, but even on the mainland their coverage is terrible.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:48 AM

Car Info: 06 STi
i prefer Tmobile...great customer service...
had problems with Sprint and Nextel....customer service SUCKS!

sure...everyones needs differ...and everyone has hiccups in their system...
Old 06-25-2008, 09:28 AM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
It's hard to say, because you'll get different reviews from a lot of people. I've tried T-Mobile a while back and had crappy service and tons of dropped calls. For work, we used Nextel for years, but they were very expensive and their coverage sucked too. At work, we've recently switched to Mobi PCS. Mobi is a local cell phone carrier and their rates are like the BEST on the Island. We've only been with them for 1 month, but so far so good. Hasn't dropped 1 call, and the reception is good. Plus, not only is Mobi the cheapest, but they don't have contracts. If you don't like their service after 2 months, just stop paying the bill and that's it. No cancellation fees! Now, I may be a bit partial since my wife works for Mobi, but hey, just passing the info on.

BTW, prior to working for Mobi, she had a Verizon She absolutely loves them! Coverage is great and she's never really had any complaints.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:03 PM

Car Info: grandmas car
well ive been a tmobile customer since 2000 since the voicestream days (like walter)....and i can honesty say, they suck. people will say they call & i wont get it. ive tested it out myself and yeah, phone dont ring at all sometimes. if i wasnt addicted to the damn sidekick i wouldve switched a long time ago...but i <3 the sidekick...had like 6 of them...sidekick, sidekick2, 3 sidekick 3's (2 lrg's, 1 dwade) and now the sidekick lx...yes, imma sidekick *****
Old 06-25-2008, 01:07 PM

So does anybody else actually have Sprint?

I'm definitely not going with T-Mobile. They just don't offer enough coverage... especially when I visit the mainland or other islands.

Quick Reply: Best wireless coverage?