Beleive it or not...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Originally Posted by Imprezer
I don't have a career. Lately, I have been greatly turned off by the "industry" I have worked and lived for for the past 6 years. I guess I just never realized or wanted to realize how it really works. That is not to say that I am turned off by this hobby. I just don't see myself making this my career. i-Club, of course is not a "part" of this industry. It is what feeds it and I have never been happier with i-Club than I am now.

I might want to start something in HI, but unless I can do it the way I want to, I will not bother. That is a hard decision to make but I will make it sooner or later.

If anything, we can open up i-Club clubhouse over there to hang out, haha. And, get a dyno for it while we at it.

And, I am not bluffing. Watch me...
Man, I wish my situation were different. I'm happy where I am now, but in about 5 1/2 years I'll be retired and you're exactly the guy I'd love to know then.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:36 PM

Car Info: Justy
I don't have a career. Lately, I have been greatly turned off by the "industry" I have worked and lived for for the past 6 years. I guess I just never realized or wanted to realize how it really works. That is not to say that I am turned off by this hobby. I just don't see myself making this my career. i-Club, of course is not a "part" of this industry. It is what feeds it and I have never been happier with i-Club than I am now.

I might want to start something in HI, but unless I can do it the way I want to, I will not bother. That is a hard decision to make but I will make it sooner or later.

If anything, we can open up i-Club clubhouse over there to hang out, haha. And, get a dyno for it while we at it.

Alex, you r0x0RZ!!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 12:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV

whoa the man has spoken!!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:13 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero

we can set up shop on kapiolani blvd or maybe lease out autosource's old building next to hi-pace racing... now that would rock.
of course a legit business would help to pay the magnormous $$ needed to stay there!

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 09-27-2005, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant

Egads that sounds awesome. Better yet, realize my dream. Buy some land here on the Big Island where it's a little cheaper, and start a road course with AWD dyno and such on location - all Solar powered. I know a bunch of people at NASA and would be happy to start a HI chapter, as well as sell Porterfield brake products and Redline oil.

If there were a market for that here and it would fly, I would want nothing more but to be part of the show. A true dream. All we would need then is to get going on that inter-island bridge system.. Ha!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:19 PM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
Originally Posted by bpang1
Recon is great to have and fairly easy to get.

Replace all the stuff that we've stated and adjust ride height. No need to worry about the height of your lights as you don't have fog lamps.

The main reason...at least for me...to have recon is that Cops pull you over for it and give you a hard time. So go legalize your car, get the sticker and the papers then put some of the stuff back on. The only big things that cops check for are ride height, rims, exhaust volume and wings. If you get all of those listed on your recon sheet then the cops will let you go.
I'm sorry, but this train of logic just shows how f'd up recon is. (Paraphrasing and throwing a bit of hyperbole in...) "Recon is good because we can cheat the system by making our cars legal, getting the recon sticker/papers, and then putting all the illegal stuff back on the car." So what exactly does recon gain anybody when it is so brutally easy to game the system?

Originally Posted by X-factor
this states DMV is more F'd up than i could POSSIBLY imagiune....sti ur rite man, its retarded to pay when we see NO benifits out of it...but at least we dont have emmissions, though that cant be far behind.
IMO emissions testing is 1000x better than recon. I'm from CT, which pretty much uses CA emissions requirements (but without all the CARB stuff for aftermarket parts, etc), and a properly tuned car has nothing to worry about. I personally don't see any reason not to run hi-flow cats - it might cost a bit more than going cat-less, but it isn't going to cost you any noticeable power and why not help out the environment that little bit? And all the POS jalopy "island beaters" rolling around spewing out literally hundreds of times as much pollution as our newer, well-maintained cars would be off the road because they couldn't pass emissions.

Originally Posted by WRX-zero
-$15 and bring exact change, they don't have change there.
Ahh, yes, customer service at its finest. "We take cash all day long, but sorry, bruddah, we ain't got no change."

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
WOW That is some crazy stuff! I never knew any of that. Do the same rules apply for the trucks I see with like 20" lifts and stuff?
Yes, which again just highlights how worthless recon is. If it was truly about keeping the roads safe, then someone would be out here enforcing the requirements.

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
My car is modified, but not crazy by any means. I just went in for a safety check on both my cars, and didn't have a problem. My Celica is far from stock though with parts from Supras, other Celicas, 4Runner 4x4, and much more. Not one piece of the suspension, trans, rear end, driveshaft anything is stock. I did it all to look as close to stock as possible, and I am super careful about my work on my cars, so maybe the guy just thought it was all good.
Or, more likely, he just didn't know any better - again, showing how worthless the whole system is.

Edit: The recon rules are still online, and they're really easy to find. Just send an email to the Honolulu branch and they'll send you an extremely helpful reply that says "it's on the state DOT site". When you send them another email asking where exactly, they'll send you a link (which you can see towards the bottom of this paragraph). I can't imagine why I had any problem finding it, it's so obvious... Just go to http://www.state.hi.us/dot/ and click on the tiny "Highway" link in the upper right. Then click on "About Highways" in the left side menu. Then go down to the bottom of the page and click on "Highway Administrative Rules Title 19". Scroll through the list and find "Chapter 134" and click on that link. That'll take you to a page with all the actual law - http://www.state.hi.us/dot/highways/...s/ch134ind.htm . At the bottom of that page is a link to "Reconstructed Vehicle Standards and Criteria", which tells what they're actually supposed to check and how they're supposed to check it - http://www.state.hi.us/dot/highways/...hBindtesta.htm . Very intuitive, right?

Pat Olsen

Last edited by Patrick Olsen; 09-27-2005 at 01:40 PM. Reason: To add link to Recon rules online
Old 09-27-2005, 02:06 PM

Car Info: '87 corolla gts & '85 mr2
Originally Posted by soggynoodles
:sadwavey:
ED!!!!!!!!!!! that is soooo cyoote!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:08 PM

Car Info: 06 F4I & 04 G35 CHEHOOO
Originally Posted by xo_aiishiite_ru
ED!!!!!!!!!!! that is soooo cyoote!!!!!!!!!

dammit, that was me. didnt realize i was under "her" name...
Old 09-27-2005, 03:27 PM

Car Info: s2
greg are you bored at work?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
The shop is idea is a possibility but it wont happen right away. I will bee to settle in first then we'll see. But I sure as hell will be active (as I am always anyways) so that way I can see what the opportunities and possibilities are.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:24 PM

Car Info: 1999 Mazda Miata
cool! idk maybe someone said this before...i didnt read the whole post...

but u need recon to get safety, and they are cracking down
Old 09-27-2005, 06:12 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
The shop is idea is a possibility but it wont happen right away. I will bee to settle in first then we'll see. But I sure as hell will be active (as I am always anyways) so that way I can see what the opportunities and possibilities are.
maybe a partnership with another business is something to think about- me and the wife are definitely thinking of getting into venture capital- - - maybe something very promising can come about this-

aloha from the summit of *-^-mauna Kea-^-*
Old 09-27-2005, 07:13 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by gdogg
maybe a partnership with another business is something to think about- me and the wife are definitely thinking of getting into venture capital- - - maybe something very promising can come about this-

aloha from the summit of *-^-mauna Kea-^-*
That's what I'm talking about P&D Racing Development.

Of course the entire board of directors have almost all departed the island. The last, CEO Mach5 is on terminal or soon to be.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
I may be coming back. Post-Iraq planning is in effect, and the wifey misses Hawaii, and the little girl would look so cute. AWD Dyno would mean the wagon could get a real-live dyno tune and get back to the drag strips... Back to the islands... we'll see.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:43 PM
VIP Member

I figured there was a dyno in Colo. At least you've got a road trip to LV or AZ available to you.

Quick Reply: Beleive it or not...