BackFire....

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:42 AM

Car Info: 2002 POS
Thanks to everyone on this thread...I didn't put the JB weld on. It came like that when I got the car....

LOrenzo
Old 02-11-2007, 07:03 AM

Car Info: 04 XTi.............. Seats down..G's up
Originally Posted by lcjarrett
Thanks to everyone on this thread...I didn't put the JB weld on. It came like that when I got the car....

LOrenzo
understandable, just a friendly warning.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by 91sleeper
understandable, just a friendly warning.

It's all good bro....I was just saying that I bought it like that....If I could I would install my Perrin BOV but the piping for the FMIC is kinda ghetto. In the piping all the guy did was make a hole big enough for the BOV to fit, then JB welded it...that not my style. I want to install my perrin bov but i dont know when that is going to happen....Thanks for the info though. Getting other peoples opinions is always a plus for me. Especially when people have been in the game more then I have...

LOrenzo
Old 02-12-2007, 04:16 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by ipozestu
The explanation above your post is correct.
Thank you very much.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:13 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx wagon, 05 legacy 2.5 gt wagon
is there any negatives of a back fire?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:21 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Originally Posted by cabbage
is there any negatives of a back fire?
I think...

Lets you know you're running rich --> spark plugs become fouled quicker

Loud noise/fire --> might attract cops

Inside of muffler becomes black with carbon deposits
Old 02-21-2007, 08:36 PM

So waht most of you are saying is if I get a better BOV the backfiring will go away? What BOV should I get?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:33 AM

Car Info: 2004sti
Talking

The stock blow-off valve is the best choice . I threw away my blitz blow-off valve . I threw alot of cel codes running lean with the after market blow-off . I'll be using the stock blow-off on my gt-35r set-up . I want to see how that works out , according to Crawford performance it should work out fine . We'll see ..........
Old 02-22-2007, 10:05 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
The two that are adjustable...

the Worx DS2 and GFB Stealth are adjustable from 100% recirc. to 100% atmo...with the turn of the top portion of the bov...pretty cool. My cousin Dan and I have the blue Stealth, Bran808 has a DS2...they are not overly loud, yet when performance is needed...we close it up totally, if we want to be heard...we open it up...takes like 5 seconds or so...instead of the 5-10min to change out a blow off valve for something different

I personally run mine at about 25% open...it's audible (I have an APS CAI) yet I have no backfires or carbon residue on my bumper...

I also have an APS 50/50 bov that does not backfire or cause negative reactions from the engine...that's for sale if you are interested...holds a lot of boost as well.

Then I have the HKS SSQV 100% atmo bov...although it is adjusted so idling is not a problem...it does backfire and it does cause a lot of residue on my bumper...I have 3 inserts with this...Silver/Purple (different sounds), and a recirc adapter. I had to gather parts, but I can run the HKS at 100% recirc...very quiet and no backfires this way...People run the HKS due to it's ability to hold a lot of boost without leaking...
Old 02-22-2007, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Island Style
the Worx DS2 and GFB Stealth are adjustable from 100% recirc. to 100% atmo...with the turn of the top portion of the bov...pretty cool. My cousin Dan and I have the blue Stealth, Bran808 has a DS2...they are not overly loud, yet when performance is needed...we close it up totally, if we want to be heard...we open it up...takes like 5 seconds or so...instead of the 5-10min to change out a blow off valve for something different

I personally run mine at about 25% open...it's audible (I have an APS CAI) yet I have no backfires or carbon residue on my bumper...

I also have an APS 50/50 bov that does not backfire or cause negative reactions from the engine...that's for sale if you are interested...holds a lot of boost as well.

Then I have the HKS SSQV 100% atmo bov...although it is adjusted so idling is not a problem...it does backfire and it does cause a lot of residue on my bumper...I have 3 inserts with this...Silver/Purple (different sounds), and a recirc adapter. I had to gather parts, but I can run the HKS at 100% recirc...very quiet and no backfires this way...People run the HKS due to it's ability to hold a lot of boost without leaking...
how much are you selling you bov/bov's for...?
Old 02-22-2007, 04:47 PM

^^^I'm selling the

APS for $150...they go new for around $250 shipped...quality bov.

Here is a pic of it. Remember, you have to take the elbow off your stock recirc valve and put in on the APS prior to installing it.

lmk if you are interested...
Attached Thumbnails BackFire....-14200bov_tmic1-large.jpg  
Old 02-22-2007, 08:58 PM

APS for $150...they go new for around $250 shipped...quality bov.

Here is a pic of it. Remember, you have to take the elbow off your stock recirc valve and put in on the APS prior to installing it.

lmk if you are interested...

Well i have a FMIC so can i still install it?
Old 02-22-2007, 11:31 PM

depends on how your FMIC is configured...

If you use a hose with a stock blow-off flange...then yes, it will. My cousins WBR does this...there are APS bov's that you can just plug into a hose...you might need one of those...not sure without seeing your setup...

but if you have like an HKS flange or so...no it won't...

Which FMIC kit do you have?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:23 AM

If you use a hose with a stock blow-off flange...then yes, it will. My cousins WBR does this...there are APS bov's that you can just plug into a hose...you might need one of those...not sure without seeing your setup...

but if you have like an HKS flange or so...no it won't...

Which FMIC kit do you have?

I will snap a pic tomorrow to show you the setup...
Old 02-28-2007, 12:09 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
hope this helps you

Some Blow off valve info for noobies or as i've heard it called "buuvvs". If the BOV is a VTA (vent to atmosphere) - it absolutely should cause the car to back fire. Unless modified, the BOV is positioned after the MAF (mass air flow sensor). As your turbo pressurizes air, it pulls more air through the intake past your MAF, this air travels from your turbo (now pressurized), to your IC, past the BOV and into your intake manifold. More air = more fuel = more power. Fuel calculations are made by your ECU using the input data from your MAF sensor.

Under WOT (wide open throttle) and running with boost, you are pumping a serious amount of air and fuel into the cylinders to give you the power you need. You rev up and shift, at the point that you shift - your BOV vents to atmosphere but you are still drawing a huge amount of air through the MAF, for a split second your ECU gives an proportionate amount of fuel but you just blew off all the air that would have leaned out your mixture to the correct point. End result is a super rich mixture for a split second at shifts. The unburnt fuel travels out of the block into with your exhaust gas, hits the oxygen rich atmosphere (end of the tail pipe) and ignites... tada! Backfire.

Can you avoid this? Yes, recirculate the BOV vent so that the same amount of air goes into the cylinder, you have the right mixture and no backfire.

Why do race cars run with VTA? It give a feeling of better response from your engine and turbo. This is very slight but none-the-less helpful.

I don't want allot of people out there to have bad information. The fact is that the fastest, most well tuned cars out there (JGTC 300 and 500 cars, Amuse cars, WRC etc) run VTA BOVs that cause backfires. Can you buy a bad BOV, of course - generally if you spend the money, you will get what you pay for. bottom line noobs buy what you want!
Edit/Delete Message