Attn: Mike, Sean, Dan, Mario, Wes, Richard, Chris, Jayson, Francis....

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 12:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Attn: Mike, Sean, Dan, Mario, Wes, Richard, Chris, Jayson, Francis....

Or anyone else who's interested.

I'm targetting the weekend of 7-8 FEB to drop in the block.

Issues, in no particular order:

1. I just asked FP to put me on their waiting list for their Green. I'd like to go ahead and strap-on a turbo while the engine is out (if that's even possible.

2. I don't have the HG's yet. I'll call George tomorrow, but I've been left waiting indef. with him before.

3. Do I need head studs or can I reuse the old?

4. Sean, I need to bring down an injector for you to look at. When will your guests be departing? (when will you be free?)

5. Mike, let me know when you're garage will be available. Thanks dude.

6. As crafty as I am, I have tried to wargame the potential waves that all of this could cause on my domestic situation. Mind you, she just wants me to listen to her misgivings when I do stuff like this. So far she hasn't shown any real need to grill me on cost and usually accepts my fibs. I need some real help with some imagination here; especially if something becomes a roadblock and I have to go without a car for a short while.

7. Are there any additional parts I need? Tools? I'm buying some dino oil here in the next day or so.

8. Have I decided on the right turbo? What about a T67? Or bigger? I guess what makes it so attractive to me is that it states some very respectable numbers and will be pretty solid-state without a lot of ancilliary costs.

Here's a good list of turbos which should pretty much show where this turbo should rank. I'm looking for a compressor map for it right now. According to what they're saying, it flows 10% more than the 20g. If the 20g is flowing 650 cfm, then 110% of 650 is 715 which is 5 more than the SR50.

*taken from scoobytech.net. Turbo information compiled by Hotdog, aka Larry.

Last edited by gpatmac; 01-28-2004 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:31 AM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
Cool i'm marking my calender on that date pat i'll be there
WOW a T67!! this is getting real intersting
Old 01-28-2004, 01:46 AM
VIP Member

FP Green.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:21 AM

Car Info: White on Gold STi
Thats looking like good dates, but I have class on the 8th
Old 01-28-2004, 08:44 AM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
Re: Attn: Mike, Sean, Dan, Mario, Wes, Richard, Chris, Jayson, Francis....

Originally posted by gpatmac
1. I just asked FP to put me on their waiting list for their Green. I'd like to go ahead and strap-on a turbo while the engine is out (if that's even possible.

3. Do I need head studs or can I reuse the old?

6. As crafty as I am, I have tried to wargame the potential waves that all of this could cause on my domestic situation. Mind you, she just wants me to listen to her misgivings when I do stuff like this. So far she hasn't shown any real need to grill me on cost and usually accepts my fibs. I need some real help with some imagination here; especially if something becomes a roadblock and I have to go without a car for a short while.

8. Have I decided on the right turbo? What about a T67?
Pat,
1. I wouldn't worry about putting in a new turbo at this time. It's easier to trouble shoot any potential problems if you keep the changes to a minimum. Besides, a turbo swap isn't too big a deal anyway.

3. Since the engine is gonna be out I'd recommend ARP head studs.

6. I don't condone telling lies to your spouse but if needed you can always blame one of us. "Honey, it was only a one day job but ************ was helping and he messed up ***** so we need to get a replacement part and I won't have the car for a couple days. Sorry".

7. If you'd like I can probably get my hands on a T-67 if you want to see how it would fit. The GReddy T-67 has a three bolt flange so you'd need to modify the uppipe to get it to fit. The turbo is for my friends MR-2 which has a blown motor right now so I know it's sitting on a shelf in his garage. LMK if you wanna take a look at it.

Dean
Old 01-28-2004, 09:29 AM
VIP Member

Dean,

You're just too cool. Thanks for the advice.

I was initially going to leave the VF30 on, and I still haven't made up my mind; just for the same reason you stated. I'm not going to lie, though, sometimes I get too impetuous when I feel like I'm under some pressure. I don't have much time to get all of this in and broken in. If I don't do it right (and even if I do), there's a good chance that storage could end up breaking my heart. I'm not in the best position.

I wonder how quickly I can get some ARP head studs. These don't necessarily need to be specific to the WRX so long as the specs on them are the same, right? Meaning, if I get the exact measurements, I should be able to find some on the island. Correct me if I'm making an errant assumption.

I don't call it lying, I call it marriage lubrication or truth massage.

I'm trying to call FP right now to place my order. Apparently they've got them in stock from an email I got this morning, so I'm going to jump in with both feet and buy the green. I'd love to look at the T67 and compare the two when it gets here, though...and the VF30.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:30 AM
VIP Member

Mike, thanks a million. If I have to, I think I can wait until the weekend of 13-16 Feb, which is a 4day (If I run in the Great Aloha Run), but every day I put this off, I become more and more anxious.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:38 AM
Big Baller

Car Info: 93 BG5, 00&01 GM6, 06LGT, 07STi
$145 ARP head studs PN 260-4701 @ JSC Speed
Old 01-28-2004, 09:47 AM
VIP Member

You don't think I'd find those on island?

Thanks for the pn.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:49 AM
VIP Member

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...&highlight=ARP
Old 01-28-2004, 10:45 AM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
Originally posted by gpatmac
I don't call it lying, I call it marriage lubrication or truth massage.

I'm trying to call FP right now to place my order. Apparently they've got them in stock from an email I got this morning, so I'm going to jump in with both feet and buy the green. I'd love to look at the T67 and compare the two when it gets here, though...and the VF30.

I agree with that

FP Green!!!! Yeah - you're gonna be the first WRX in Hawaii into the 11s.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:45 PM
VIP Member

Bought and paid for. 10 days is what was stated for the shipment to arrive.

I doubt I'll be able to make it to the track by the time I get everything situated, and like you said, I'm still debating whether or not to just start off with the VF30 in order to minimize all of the factors to see any malfunctions.

I'm betting on Kingpin's modifications for the injectors and if necessary the FPR. I think that before I really start driving the car hard I'd be smart to upgrade my fuel lines, too. Also, I think I might have found the compressor map for this ultra-top secret turbo. It looks like it will actually blow as hard as 30psi.

Last edited by gpatmac; 01-28-2004 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:54 PM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
Good god pat!! So that means no track day for you then if you do this swap in early Feb Oh well you'll be happier when its all done
Old 01-28-2004, 12:57 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
yeah, the FP green has already proven to be a killer turbo over and over again, ... even on a 2.0L wrx.
... of course the Greddy T67 kit for the wrx would be sweet too!!

... and I'm free after class tonight (get out at 1930 @ K-bay), and for the rest of the week (after work).
Old 01-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Grats Pat! You're going to have a real demon on your hands! I'll see if I can free up my sched. Right on!

Quick Reply: Attn: Mike, Sean, Dan, Mario, Wes, Richard, Chris, Jayson, Francis....