Anyone with pets... i need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 PM

Car Info: 04 sti now pulling hard but super greasy!!
you can always do what i did when my dog gt hit by a car and broke both of his left legs..... pretty bad the vet at university pet clinic said he needed extensive and expensive surgery and yet my dad (maybe not always in his right mind) says no worries just make sure the bone is set straight as in apply preasure to wounded area and wrap it tight (not too tight) with an ace bandage and let nature take its course.... i know it sounds fairly inhumane but believe it or not 1 month after my dog got hit and broke his legs he bagan to walk around alot and 2 months after the accident he was running around the yard like nothing happened!! dogs are some of the most resilient creatures on the planet and can heal themselves waaaaaay better that us humans think they can i hope you get the poor dog fixed up and remember this story through your dogs healing process your dog will be fine no matter what a broken bone to a dog is minor!! and youll see your dog up and about in no time good luck!!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:14 PM

Car Info: Slower than the guy with all the money :(
I also know someone who had a dog with a fractured leg,he also let nature take its course,and his dog healed o.k.!
Then again,his dog's leg wasn't completely broken.
I hope things work out,I'm pretty sure you should be able to work things out with your vet,especially if you take your dogs there regularly.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:43 PM

Car Info: MY02 GD WAGON, MY87 AW11
Bring the dog over to my house.... I fix radiator hoses, broken teeth, flat tires and dogs legs. LMAO.

I hope everything works out for your doggy, they are like a member of family.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:07 AM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
bbq???

somebody had to say it...

i know you have your regular vet, but call and ask around for estimates...you'd be surprised...my vet said one of his customers came to him with a price quote DOUBLE what he charged for the same treatment...

Dr. Ed Gullliver, Leeward pet clinic...484-4460
Old 11-18-2008, 12:43 AM

Car Info: the daddy van beatin da bass
check out blue cross, its like red cross but, for animals
Old 11-18-2008, 01:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by Sarah aka Star
thank you sweetie. they do have a "pet payment" thing but you have to be approved. Im just hoping we are. Thanks for the info.

She is in pain, but we are doing the best we can to keep her comfortable. I guess thats all u can do right?
No probs. Thats all you can do is keep him/her as happy and pain free as possible!! So good to keep your options open and to have a back up plan ready!!

Wholly Jeez Mr. & Mrs. Tanaka, thats alot.. Hope the pet is all G. You guys remember Lorenzo's story about his ex-wife pet dog breaking his leg and he had to dropped like 3g's that night to fix and cask up their dog's leg. He was pissed but yet explained it in a funny matter. He made Ryan and I laugh hard at that meet.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:12 AM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Try to get pet insurance

i have both my dogs under it

VPI pet insuance. Pet insurance does have a catch though. YOu have to pay for the bills but you get reimburesment of 90%. had a coupel things happen with one dog about 2k worth and i was only outta pocket about $260. i got the check in like 2 weeks too.

2 g for a leg thing though is alot. i mean my dog was treated for skin cancer and it was that much a broken leg should be **** compareed to that.

i would get another quote. good luck i hope it gets figrue dout.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:56 AM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
ER Vets will always be more expensive. I would definitely go to your regular vet when you can. Dr. Myatt at Kokua Vet Clinic is good, ive heard he is reasonable. If your military (and I think you are right?) there are always the military vets if you can get an appointment soon enough.

Hope it all works out!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by JArnaud
PET INSURANCE! Its about 30 bucks a month, and covers just what happened to your pup, as well as routine vet visits and so on. Although, it may be too late for this problem, but something to think about in the future. And 2K seems a little over the top. Have you tried calling other vets?
We do pet insurance as well...more for the emergency care rather than the annual stuff but it still pays to have piece of mind.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:10 AM

Car Info: Silver Subaru WRX 2005 (STI wing and interior)
I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice. It means the world to me that I go such an amazing response. You all are wonderful, thank you from the bottom of my heart.

-Sarah, Charlie and bella =)
Old 11-18-2008, 04:57 PM

Car Info: 06' 280whp/300wtq pig nose and 05' porsche cayenne
yeah my dog went through a similar problem with his leg and we had a surgery done on his leg for about $4.5K...it was tough for him to walk right for about a month after that...i had to sleep on the floor with him for a month and help him up when ever he had to go...it was tough, but hey if you love him then just go for it...don't think twice...
Old 11-18-2008, 05:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
my advice is to get a second, and possibly third opinion. I've heard countless times "Our vet wanted us to spend $x,xxx. We got a second opinion that wasn't nearly as much." I lot of vets will jump to the most extreme option before presenting easier ones with the same amount of success.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
we spent...$5K+ on our family member...

He was like our first child...a cinnamon chow chow...he blew both knees out...and needed surgery on both rear knees at two different times...we were fortunate to have an excellent orthopedic surgeon in Anchorage...

The cost was near $3000 for each incident...but, he was like our baby...he lived happily to an age of 13yrs...having passed right before we moved back from Alaska to Hawaii in 2002.

We miss him everyday and do not regret for a second anything we did for him...

As for taking care of him, we had to put that dreaded upside down, plastic, funnel looking thing around his neck for the first few days...and carried him out to use the bathroom...he was very cool with that...and very happy once we took that hell designed thing off of his head...I don't think he thought it was amusing when we chuckled at him though...heh heh.

The posters above are right though...some vets like to milk everything out of your pet, playing on your emotions. My parents had a Norwegian Elkhound that was about 15yo...and apparently had a stroke...but instead of telling us this, the vet decided to run every conceivable test on my parents poor dog...and $4000 later, they recommended they euthanize him...so after all that poking, prodding, blood removing, in my mind...torture...the end was the same...I was so upset at the vets for putting our dog through this...be careful in your decision.

Last edited by Island Style; 11-18-2008 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:40 AM

Car Info: Silver Subaru WRX 2005 (STI wing and interior)
Originally Posted by Island Style
He was like our first child...a cinnamon chow chow...he blew both knees out...and needed surgery on both rear knees at two different times...we were fortunate to have an excellent orthopedic surgeon in Anchorage...

The cost was near $3000 for each incident...but, he was like our baby...he lived happily to an age of 13yrs...having passed right before we moved back from Alaska to Hawaii in 2002.

We miss him everyday and do not regret for a second anything we did for him...

As for taking care of him, we had to put that dreaded upside down, plastic, funnel looking thing around his neck for the first few days...and carried him out to use the bathroom...he was very cool with that...and very happy once we took that hell designed thing off of his head...I don't think he thought it was amusing when we chuckled at him though...heh heh.

The posters above are right though...some vets like to milk everything out of your pet, playing on your emotions. My parents had a Norwegian Elkhound that was about 15yo...and apparently had a stroke...but instead of telling us this, the vet decided to run every conceivable test on my parents poor dog...and $4000 later, they recommended they euthanize him...so after all that poking, prodding, blood removing, in my mind...torture...the end was the same...I was so upset at the vets for putting our dog through this...be careful in your decision.
Thank you so much. You sound EXACTLY like us. Our puppies are our babies and we would do anything for them. We had certain people tell us to put her down due to the cost. My heart dropped when i heard this, and out of a friends mouth no less.(on a side note, i have vowed if i ever see her again, im going to break her leg and request the doctor to euthanize her due to cost)

We trust our vet with our lives, let alone our babies. She is extremely understanding and has many times told us ways we can save money by getting over the counter meds, rather then getting the same meds with her and costing hundreds. I dont know about her surgeon yet, her appointment is tomorrow at 10 am. But i trust that my vet will give me the best advice on what bella needs. I am sorry to hear about your beloved family member, we lost a puppy earlier this year to unexplained causes as well as my blck lab that i had for 10 years a year ago last week. So i understand your pain.

I appreciate your adivce and help. I hope to see you around some time.

again thank you to everyone that has given advice. We appreciate it so much. You guys are amazing!