Anyone with pets... i need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:58 AM

Car Info: Silver Subaru WRX 2005 (STI wing and interior)
Unhappy Anyone with pets... i need advice

Hey Guys,
Most of the time i post up silly comments and threads but this thread is much more serious.

Our dog bella fell and broke her leg last night. We spend 2 hrs in the ER and we have her splinted up as well as drugged up for the next 48 hrs. The Dr. said she is most likely going to need an expensive surgery to fix her leg. (roughly 2 grand, provided all goes well)

We love our dogs and we make sure they get the best care. We are going to do whatever it take to get her fixed up and back to normal, but we dont exactly have 2 grand laying around.

my question is, has anyone dealt with this before and does anyone have any advice? We were told by the vet that there is the "care credit" online but im not sure how reliable it is. If anyone has any feed back just let me know.

thanks for reading
Sarah & Charlie

Price of:
Emergency vet visit at 11pm - $130
x-rays - $150
Morphine to help the pain - $100
Splint - $100
Possible surgery to repair the damage - $2,000

Having the love of a 4lb min pin (aka lick-alotta-puss) - priceless

*sighs* the things we do for the ones we love...

Last edited by Sarah aka Star; 11-17-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:22 PM

Car Info: GC8 Type-R, BH5 Wangon Gen3 and 05 SV650 Naked!
WOW 2G FOR A BROKEN LEG!
lucky the pets at my house are not owned by me but if it was me I would trust the vet knowing that he tells every animal owner to go to care credit in situations like yours so I would call them up and ask.

Kiyoshi
Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX PSM
PET INSURANCE! Its about 30 bucks a month, and covers just what happened to your pup, as well as routine vet visits and so on. Although, it may be too late for this problem, but something to think about in the future. And 2K seems a little over the top. Have you tried calling other vets?
Old 11-17-2008, 12:32 PM

Car Info: 07STI
That sucks...I had to pay 600$ for my puppy Troy to get his ears fixed..i forgot the name of what he had...but anyways i paid for it b/c he meant a lot to me...it sucks b/c i had to give him away right before i deployed.

Good luck I hope it works out.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by BattleD01
WOW 2G FOR A BROKEN LEG!
lucky the pets at my house are not owned by me but if it was me I would trust the vet knowing that he tells every animal owner to go to care credit in situations like yours so I would call them up and ask.

Kiyoshi
thanks for the advice. Yeah, thats what im thinking, if a vet recommends it then i'll go for it. its just it wasnt my usual vet and i dont know if she is trying to shaft me for money. Im gonna talk to my actual vet on weds since she is off for the next two days (it would figure right?)

our dogs are spoiled rotten, this whole thing started cuz she jumped out of charlies arms cuz she didnt want a bath they are lucky they have an owner that treats them so well! damn kids *shakes fists*

Originally Posted by JArnaud
PET INSURANCE! Its about 30 bucks a month, and covers just what happened to your pup, as well as routine vet visits and so on. Although, it may be too late for this problem, but something to think about in the future. And 2K seems a little over the top. Have you tried calling other vets?
yeah we had looked at one before, we thought it didnt cover much. Do you have the name of the one you use? (assuming you know this threw having it) I'd love to have it for future so this doesnt happen again. thanks for the help =)

I got the quote from another vet last night, this isnt her normal vet. (the ER vet wasnt overly compassionate) But i also talked to my regular vets office and they said it would go on the extent of the damage. Though its a clean break becuase she is so small she could have complications.. and you know what that means.. more $$$

plus i already lost one puppy this year to a chop shop vet, im not doing that again. NEVER GO TO KALIHI VET CLINIC on beritania street. My puppy passed and he blamed me (though that does was treated like gold and passes of something we could have never foreseen)

Last edited by Sarah aka Star; 11-17-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:54 PM

Pet Insurance through Wells Fargo

I got a quote through them and they seemed very reasonable. Worth checking out. Here is the link.

https://www.wellsfargo.com/insurance...mily/pet/index
Old 11-17-2008, 12:58 PM

Also, here is another idea. Im not sure if this exists, but I wonder if a veterinary school might be able to help you pup out for a minimal cost. Just a though, maybe something to look into.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by JArnaud
Also, here is another idea. Im not sure if this exists, but I wonder if a veterinary school might be able to help you pup out for a minimal cost. Just a though, maybe something to look into.
thats a wonderful idea! thank you so much! I had never thought of that.

Im also checking out the wellsfargo pet insurance.

thank you so much sweetie! your the best
Old 11-17-2008, 02:39 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
There aren't any veterinary schools here in Hawaii...
Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Im not sure if anyone practice this type here in hawaii but its worth to ask them. I heard from my cousin in California that they couldnt afford the bill for a surgery for their pet cat and they did some sort of financial aid/payment plan setup for the surgery. Not sure if this helps but thats what i remembered. I'll try to call my cousin to find out more details. Hope your Pet isn't suffering too much and hope he has a speedy recovery!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by dub81
Im not sure if anyone practice this type here in hawaii but its worth to ask them. I heard from my cousin in California that they couldnt afford the bill for a surgery for their pet cat and they did some sort of financial aid/payment plan setup for the surgery. Not sure if this helps but thats what i remembered. I'll try to call my cousin to find out more details. Hope your Pet isn't suffering too much and hope he has a speedy recovery!
thank you sweetie. they do have a "pet payment" thing but you have to be approved. Im just hoping we are. Thanks for the info.

She is in pain, but we are doing the best we can to keep her comfortable. I guess thats all u can do right?
Old 11-17-2008, 05:01 PM

Car Info: 2004 STI
Give "Kokua Pet Clinic" a call, very good doctors with the most resonable prices. When I had issues w/ my dog they were the most affordable w/ good care of your pet.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by ojichan sti
Give "Kokua Pet Clinic" a call, very good doctors with the most resonable prices. When I had issues w/ my dog they were the most affordable w/ good care of your pet.
thank you, they go to VCA in Kaneohe but if i need a second opinion i'll call them =)
Old 11-17-2008, 05:52 PM

Car Info: 09 xt
Pay the vet bill. Some guys here know my BB costed us over $3k for his bloodwork and heartworm treatments. It was supposed to be $10k or more if the bllod was to be sent to the mainland.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:57 PM

Car Info: 2008 Legacy 3.0R 3L H-6 RIP :( Hello 09 FXT!
^^actually we spent $4k on BB honey. we told our vet at that time we didn't have the money. what she suggested is pay in increments. try talk with your vet and ask about that. hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Anyone with pets... i need advice