Anyone know a good, cheap car audio place?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 07:23 PM

Car Info: G35 Coupe (FOR SALE)
Anyone know a good, cheap car audio place?

I got quoted $500 to transfer my amp, separates,and Basslink to my new ride. I know Dave and a few others went to T&T, but I also remember Dave saying he paid a good chunk of change.

Thanks
Old 10-31-2003, 07:34 PM

Car Info: 02 GGA
Pats in halawa industrial. I dont know there exact addy but I know they are located on Iwaena street. HTH
Old 11-01-2003, 12:34 AM

I wouldn't let just "anybody" do the work. You're talking about a fairly big job here and into a bimmer no less. $500 sounds about right or slighty high. That being said.....Pats would be a good place to try.
Old 11-01-2003, 02:35 AM

Car Info: 1999 Mazda Miata
i could prob do it =D
Old 11-01-2003, 10:33 AM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
I did all my stuff

because I figured the cost of an install was a new toy. So I'm sure I could help.

San
Old 11-01-2003, 10:50 AM

Car Info: 02 RS
Originally posted by push2
Pats in halawa industrial. I dont know there exact addy but I know they are located on Iwaena street. HTH
99-1086B Iwaena St.

it is a small shop with a one car garage so look good. it is about 3/4 of a mile up the road on the left. i won't call them the cheapest but they do very nice installs. whenever i go there i only see lexus, bmw, acuras, infinitys, etc. getting a tinting job or stereo installation.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:07 AM

Don't use particle board,

use MDF. Or have someone build you a fiberglass enclosure to save weight.

San
Old 11-01-2003, 11:42 AM

Car Info: 02 RS
Originally posted by STi City
Oh, use wire nuts to connect your wires, I don't know why people diss the wire nuts, they never came apart on me, NEVER! And why do license electricians use them?
Electricians are dealing with 14ga solid wire with wires that are usually housed in a isolated electrical box of some sort either in the appliance or in the wall which doesnt' move. if you take apart your room light or wall switch you will see what i mean. within the component is a separate box just for the connections ant not floating around with the device.

with cars we are dealing with 18-14ga twisted/braided wire exposed to harsh vibrations from the road.

wire nuts were designed for solid wire not twisted/braided. it cuts and digs into the solid copper wire as you turn it which is why it holds. twisted/braided wire won't allow that. just think you twist on wire nuts and your car audio wirinig is already twisted. so for it to come undone the wire itself will just untwist.

i'm not saying wire nuts are bad and won't work. just like using a screwdriver to pry open cans and crescent wrenches to hammer in nails. it works but that isn't what it is designed for and can cause other damage or personal harm. if you are going to do something try and do it right to minimize any problems. plus butt connectors are cheaper than wire nuts.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:59 PM

Car Info: STI
Re: Don't use particle board,

Originally posted by oldmansan
use MDF. Or have someone build you a fiberglass enclosure to save weight.

San
I second that.....and 3/4" is the minimum thickness.....but why are we talking about this anyway??? Isn't the Basslink a powered sub enclosure??

I think $500 sounds a bit high but not unreasonable depending on the install. Are they charging you for removal (could save money here)? Where is the amp and basslink going? What are they providing you (speaker wire, interconnects, mounting materials, dampening)? Interconnects can really skew pricing.

If you've got it planned out I'd suggest checking out a couple places and make sure all materials used are comparable.

Special T (everyone here seems to like them), Progressive Auto Sound (They're old school and I've been happy w/them, they do have some new people,) Island Sound (very good rep. they did a great job on my STI, tons of high end autos), PATS (a good guy from what I hear)

NO wirenuts!!
Old 11-02-2003, 12:20 PM

Car Info: 02 GGA
^^ I guess it comes down to preference.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:42 PM

Car Info: G35 Coupe (FOR SALE)
Thumbs up

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll look into Pats.

San, I've seen your install and it's impressive. Please let me know if you have some free time this week. I'd really appreciate it if you could help me pull the stuff out of the WRX.

I don't know where I'd be without the help of the people in i-club. (Probably a few grand poorer )
Old 11-02-2003, 10:28 PM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
Re: I did all my stuff

Originally posted by oldmansan
because I figured the cost of an install was a new toy. So I'm sure I could help.

San
San did an awesome job with the sounds in his car. If I had money to invest in sounds, San would be the guy I'd go to.
Old 11-02-2003, 10:32 PM

Thanks,

I'm blushing on-line. I can be reached at 448-0105 (Work), or 422-2595 (Home). I'd be glad to help you pull your stuff and look at options in your new ride.

San

Quick Reply: Anyone know a good, cheap car audio place?