Anyone install a shift light?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 04:37 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Anyone install a shift light?

I bounced off the rev limiter again the other day - not only did it sound stupid, but it kept a Chevy Tahoe on my butt when he should have been disappearing in my mirror.

Has anyone installed a shift light? From what I remember from searching a while back, the Autometer lights won't work without a separate convertor box which more than doubles the cost of the setup. I also sort of remember that the Proform light would work and I swear I saw Subie specific instructions on their site, but I can't find it now. I know about the Raptor and the Ebay ones that plug into the cigarette lighter, but I really like the look of the Autometer one (I've been hot rodding cars since the '70's, when Autometer was the best gauge you could buy, I still like the way they look). Is there anything else I should be looking at? Any install tips?
Old 07-13-2008, 04:51 AM

Car Info: AP2/S14/G35/CT9A/GDF
Why would you need a shift light? Just pay attention to your rpms and there is no reason to hit the rev limiter especially for a Chevy Tahoe. Were you racing the tahoe or was it on your *** or something
Old 07-13-2008, 09:19 AM

Car Info: '02 silver WRX sedan
If it was in some windy roads, I don't think the Tahoe would have much luck tailing your butt. On the straights, let these guys think they're driving sporty cars so they can get the speeding tickets.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
you know you just opened yourself up to get flamed right?

well anyways turbo xs makes a knock light that also doubles as a shift light.
http://www.turboxs.com/more_info.php?ID=212
Old 07-13-2008, 01:46 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX
i think DEFI has one too
Old 07-13-2008, 02:10 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
It was a place where a lane merged after a turn, I didn't expect the Tahoe to be on my butt because he was driving so slow, that's why I went around him in the first place. So, I was accelerating when I noticed he was trying to cut me off, I was watching him, the turn and cars in the next lane who regularly cross over the double solid striped lines. I would normally be able to pay attention to the tach, but under the circumstances, a shift light would have been a big help, then I'd be able to devote more attention to the road.

[rant] this is the second time this has happened to me lately, some guy in a SUV or pickup that drives so slow that we end up missing lights that we could have easily made if we were going at a normal speed. Then, when I try to go around in a totally non-aggressive manner, just signalling and changing lanes, these mental midgets decide that THEY have to be in front. The thing that really irks me is that I can almost hear the thought process: when we're going along at below the speed limit, the SUV driver is saying to himself, "just cruising brah, you might as well stay off my butt 'cause you can't make me go any faster". Then, when I try to pass, "what, you think your car is faster than mine?" It's like dealing with spoiled kids, they gotta have their way no matter what.

I actually know what's going on with people like that: they are such utter losers with so little going for them that frustrating other drivers is the only time they have some control over things. That is the one time they can feel important, so they are going to hold on to that no matter what others say or do. It's maddening, somewhat sad and potentially dangerous all at the same time.[/rant]