Anyone here home stereo/sound reproduction fanatics?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 04:29 PM

Car Info: MY02 GD WAGON, MY87 AW11
Anyone here home stereo/sound reproduction fanatics?

Sorry for the non-subaru thread, but I need some advice from people who have an **** approach to home sound reproduction. What im looking for are a pair of high quality reference speakers that I wanna get for use in my home recording studio that Im building. The studio will be sorta similar to what P Diddy had in the Making of the band 2's house.

Any suggestions or reccomendations on what brand, types, sites to look for/at?

Thanks guys!
-scu
Old 09-13-2003, 04:47 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
How many $$

are you prepared to spend? Audio gets complicated very quickly. Why is there a loudness button on your receiver (Fletcher-Munson)? Why do studio dimensions matter so much? I have a graphic equalizer/real time analyzer with a lab grade calibrated microphone if you need it. But perfectly equalized music usually doesn't sound quite right.

San
Old 09-13-2003, 05:19 PM

Thats the thing though, im looking into really good quality monitors so I can here what the track will sound like before I mix the final. I am assuming that just any type of shelf speakers will not cut it in a studio. I am also sure that a good set will cost me dearly, this is what im afraid of.

Thanks San, if I do need them I will call.

scu
Old 09-13-2003, 05:31 PM

Car Info: 2016 Z51 C7, 2007 Exige S, 2008 ZX-10R, 2016 Taco
As long as you

don't need really low bass, monitors can be affordable. Personally, for low bass, I prefer a subwoofer. I've owned a Velodyne for 12 years now, and it was a worthwhile investment.

San
Old 09-13-2003, 06:58 PM

Car Info: STI
I haven't heard these specific ones but supposedly they sound sweet.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/hs_pr...&CategoryID=38

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/hs_pr...&CategoryID=38

Although its been a while since I've listened to a lot of high end home stuff I know boston sounds good and true. They are very well balanced tonally resulting in true sound. And they are about half the price of some of the competition
Old 09-13-2003, 07:35 PM

my dad builds home sound systems for a while already...i don't know the details but he's always on the internet looking for 40 year old horn speakers, and vacuum tubes, he builds his own amps...his home theater got featured in several home entertainment magazines...but it's in Chicago...i'm not a nut like he is but he spent a lot of money on that stuff...and thus one of reasons for my parent's divorce
Old 09-13-2003, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the replies guys! I dont think I need any of the floorstanding speakers, just a couple of small excellent shelf sized speakers. I dont think that playback volumes will be loud enough to warrant killer subs and stuff, UNLESS I come up with some hot joints then all bets are off!! haha!

Huby- Can you ask your dad if he can reccomend good playback monitors for recording studios.

Thanks again guys!

scu
Old 09-13-2003, 08:58 PM

Car Info: 02 GGA
Hmm,

Your making a sudio? Will this be for personal use or will you be renting out? In house beats or bring your own??? Sounds interesting.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Ralph
Old 09-13-2003, 11:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
if you got the money McIntosh

Jess
Old 09-14-2003, 02:22 AM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
The higher end Boston Acoustics monitors will sound awesome but stay away from their home theater stuff. Another brand you may want to look into is Klipsch. I have an audiophile friend who completely stands by Klipsch receivers and monitors. They're great stuff and also I have a set of the Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 computer speakers and totally love it.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:25 AM

I've been google-ing today and I think im going with Boston's. Kinda pricey but not bad compared to Klipsch or McIntosh thats for sure. And I am definately not going with home theater speakers.

Ralph-If you have been watching Making of the Band 2 with Puff daddy. My studio will look similar to that sans the mic booth. That I will use my shower for . As for renting, nah. I'll hook you up, You can drop beats if you want. Im cool. It's just too many good artist here in Hawaii are backed by some tired *** tracks. Dr.Dre cant make all the money.

-scu
Old 09-14-2003, 04:38 AM

Car Info: G35 Coupe (FOR SALE)
Originally posted by Scubaru
I dont think I need any of the floorstanding speakers, just a couple of small excellent shelf sized speakers. I dont think that playback volumes will be loud enough to warrant killer subs and stuff, UNLESS I come up with some hot joints then all bets are off!! haha!
Thanks again guys!
scu
The Event 20/20 BAS is the Technics of self-powered monitors in its price range. Their exceptional sound quality and output comes at a fraction of the cost for similarly performing monitors, making them the monitor of choice for many professionals. The 20/20 offers extremely accurate frequency response on all levels with individual controls for both the tweeter and subwoofer. It runs on a biamplified system (meaning it has a separate amplifier for the tweeters and woofer) with 130 Watts of power for the woofer and 30 Watts for the tweeter. These are recommended for anyone who demands a serious sound system.
http://www.turntablelab.com/index1-eq.html
Old 09-14-2003, 06:13 AM

Car Info: Silver STi due in Sept
I've seen B&W's in several studios while watching VH-1, MTV, etc.
They stood out to me since I own a pair of B&W floor standing speakers. As with any speaker opinions will vary, but I've found B&W' to be very accurate.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:16 AM

palaban-I really going to look into the 20/20's. From what i've seen, excellent specs. Almost 500 bones each, pricey but worth it I think.

mx_9- Bowers & Wilkins make some crazy monitors! But all the ones i've searched for are home speakers tho'. Maybe im looking in the wrong places for the studio monitors?? Check this thing out!

Thanks again!

- scu
Old 09-14-2003, 12:26 PM

Car Info: Silver STi due in Sept
What's the matter, the Nautilus line out of your price range?
The one you posted comes in at $40k, but that's for the pair. I've never heard it but reviews all state that it's simply amazing.

Check out their bookshelves:

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/...l%20DM602%20S3

They are expensive (probably around $700/pr)but their accuracy at reproduction is very good. At a minimum you should at least listen to a pair if you have the opportunity. Another less expensive brand is NHT. They are low high-end speakers at an incredible price. I think the bookshelve NHT's come in at $400/pr. They have very good bass response for a bookshelve.

Good luck. The key is finding something that you enjoy. The more speakers you listen too the better it is for decision making.

[EDIT]

The link for B&W professional speakers is not showing anything. I do know that they do studio monitors...wether it be bookshevles or real studio monitors, but I have seen them!

Last edited by mx_9; 09-14-2003 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone here home stereo/sound reproduction fanatics?