anyone ever have a HID ballast go out on you?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 03:39 AM

Car Info: car
anyone ever have a HID ballast go out on you?

so i noticed last week that one of my headlights were out. At first i thought it was the bulb but, isnt it pretty unusual for HID to go out so fast, especially OEM philips? well i swaped my bulbs around and the both were working. then i swapped my headlights and the drivers side works on the passenger side harness. so it has to be my ballast...

is there any hope left for this thing? any fixes? any thing?lol... id hate to have to go back to the dealers... this is pretty crappy, i mean if it were just the bulb id go buy another one but the ballast is more expensive and i gotta go through putting my orange pieces back...blah blah...hopefully warranty covers it. As far as i see it, the thing is toast but, i thought id ask you guys anyway before putting my lights back to stock.

oh and i have an 05 sti with about 17k, hardly run my lights too. my lights are cleared but they havent had water or anything like that in them either.

thanks!
Old 01-17-2006, 10:03 AM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
well... i have had experience with a similar thing on my bug eye with jdm hid's

when driving one night i noticed that my passenger side started flashing when going over bumps and stuff... eventually it went out on the way home. i did the same exact thing you did by swapping the light to the other side to see if it's the headlight/bulb...etc.

i don't think it's the ballast since after disconnecting the ballast and rechecking the wiring everything was fine.

i do recommend you checking your ground wiring going to your HID ballast. and also check the other connections to the ballast to make sure that they are in securely and properly!

then reinstall the light and hope that it was there... that is what i had to do an it's still working...

i would check them yourself first before going into the dealer.

good luck.

let me know if you need any help!

Jon
Old 01-17-2006, 06:29 PM

thanks for your input man, i found the problem. there WAS water in the headlight (im an idiot ), it was a small amount that i had to take it apart to find out it was there. The ballast contained most of the water. I took apart the ballast (which isnt really a good idea) and used a heat gun to dry it up. i tested it and it works again, whew i stayed up all night resealing both headlights, hopefully they are good now... I hope this would be good info for others that might encounter this..

Old 01-17-2006, 07:28 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
Did you clear your headlights? I cleared mine and they were fine for about 3-4 monthes and then one day they has moisture in one and it ruined the bulb and I said fawk that I got another set of headlights. Car was a MY04 STI.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:34 PM

mine were good the first time. i recently reopened it a few times which kinda jacked up the glue. after this, i added more glue to it and cleaned it a bit.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
PM SuzWRX, I know she had a problem with that

EDIT: nevremind, I read the rest of the thread and saw that you fixed the problem