Anyone a computer guru? I have a problem.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:41 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
Anyone a computer guru? I have a problem.

Just had my friend restart my system with windows 7. Before i had it restarted it would randomly shut off the monitor. The computer would still be on but the monitor would be off. Even with the new windows 7, it would still randomly shut off the monitor. im thinking its my power supply not giving enough watts to the graphics card. i first thought it was my monitor but i looked up this problem and a lot of people have this same one. some came to the conclusion that it was the power supply not giving enough watts to the card. i had this computer for about 2 years so i think its time to change the power supply but im not sure if its the actually problem. please let me know if you know about this problem or what you think.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:56 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
What about your tower, does it stay on or does it go in sleep mode? Specs on the tower & Graphics card. ATi or NVidia...
Old 08-03-2010, 02:09 AM

Car Info: 2003 wrx with hta68 1994 Honda accord h22a
try and check your power options on control panel
Old 08-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
How many watts is your power supply? Pop the case open and look. The rating will be on a sticker
Old 08-03-2010, 08:02 AM

Car Info: 2005 suby sti
right , right and right guys your all over it!
Old 08-03-2010, 01:19 PM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
I'm obviously not a computer guy so...

1) Double check your power settings by going to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Power Options > Click the plan you are using > Edit Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Settings

2) Update your video card drivers

If the above 2 steps do not fix the problem then it may be a power supply issue. Also, if it is an nVidia card of the 8xxx, 9xxx, 1xx series it could be just defective.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Da Brit.

Car Info: http://tinyurl.com/3vo4362
first thing to do is try a different monitor and see if the issue still happens. Sometimes VGA/DVI cables go bad. Try swapping the cable which goes from the monitor to the computer.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
*cough *cough buy a Mac *cough *cough
Old 08-03-2010, 03:52 PM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
Im thinking that it is your video card as well,.but....
I would need more details as to "when you start Windows 7" ..

Was everything running fine before the reboot and was it a proper Shut down?

I would say to look inside your case to see what is powering up when you boot. I would try plugging into a different monitor that has a lower resolution setting if you have a spare around,...If that doensn't work, and if you are using a seperate video card (and the hard drive does look/sound like its running/spinning), then try putting in a different vid card in, or at least open the case to check that the fan on the card (if any is running) and that its securely seated.

Is this a gaming vid card and the reason why you think your PS is not enough cause I'd say that if you've been running it for 2 years now, I don't see why all of a sudden it doesnt work especially if your computer does turn on? This would complicate things cause if it was just your on board video VGA/DVI output working off your motherboard, and your computer boots up and you see the HDD light running, chances are your PS is fine and it is going to windows 7 (albeit blindly).

Lastly, is your hard drive possibly,..I would try to install into another computer to see if its still accessible and runs properly...Many times have I moved/bumped or had a hard drive go bad after a few years.

Good Luck..
Old 08-03-2010, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by abakja1
Is this a gaming vid card and the reason why you think your PS is not enough cause I'd say that if you've been running it for 2 years now, I don't see why all of a sudden it doesnt work especially if your computer does turn on? This would complicate things cause if it was just your on board video VGA/DVI output working off your motherboard, and your computer boots up and you see the HDD light running, chances are your PS is fine and it is going to windows 7 (albeit blindly).
/takes off non computer guy cover

Because Windows 7, since RTM7600, has have problems with nVidia drivers. It is both a Windows 7 and nVidia problem. I know what you're thinking that software normally doesn't cause hardware failures but they do. Windows 7 with older nVidia W7 drivers drops the fan speed of the fan/heatsink to dangerously low levels. nVidia cards, do not issue warnings on gpu temperature to the client unless you install a warning program. Constant overheating causes nVidia cards to fail, and that's why so many nVidia cards are known to be model-defective. I've heard some problems with ATI cards on W7 with the same cause and effects too.

Also, Windows 7 has a different power management scheme than Vista which was known to cause some heavy drain on power supplies. The cheaper the quality of power supplies, the likely hood of it overheating due to a higher amount of drain.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:10 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
Parce que Windows 7, car RTM7600, a ont des problèmes avec les pilotes nVidia. Il est à la fois Windows 7 et nVidia problème. Je sais ce que vous pensez que le logiciel normalement ne cause pas les pannes matérielles mais ils le font. Windows 7 avec les anciennes nVidia W7 pilotes gouttes la vitesse du ventilateur du ventilateur/radiateur de niveaux dangereusement bas. cartes nVidia, ne pas émettre des avertissements sur gpu température au client sauf si vous installez un programme d'avertissement.
Constante surchauffe causes les cartes nVidia à l'échec, et c'est pourquoi tant de cartes nVidia sont connus pour être modèle-défectueux. J'ai entendu certains problèmes avec les cartes ATI sur W7 avec la même cause et les effets trop. Aussi, Windows 7 a une puissance différente du plan de gestion de Vista qui a été connu pour provoquer quelques lourde ponction sur le pouvoir fournitures. Le moins cher la qualité d'alimentation, probablement hood de il surchauffe due à un montant plus élevé de cerveaux.

^That is what most people hear when you try to explain a computer problem.

Always start to diagnose a problem with the simple/most probable causes.

Sometimes the most simplistic problems cause us to waste hours.

Have you checked that your VGA/DVI/HDMI is securely fastened on both monitor and tower?

Is the moniter fully plugged in?

Do you have a puppy that may have had access to cables?

I second the idea of trying a different monitor and cable before going further.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:15 PM

Spin, have you seen the quotes on my post? It was not to the OP. Have you read my FIRST post?

And have you also read the original post here? The OP had a fresh copy of W7 installed which . Can you install a fresh copy of W7(barring slipstream) without a monitor? So would "Is the 'moniter' fully plugged in?" hold any water?

That's just like calling tech support.

Thanks for your translate.google.com Spanish lesson. I'd love to critique how wrong it is in grammar but I understand you just tossed it to google.

Stets: Best way if you don't have an extra video card is to go to BestBuy and buy the cheapest card you can get that fits your motherboard. Then "keep the receipt".
Old 08-03-2010, 09:05 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
Originally Posted by dub81
What about your tower, does it stay on or does it go in sleep mode? Specs on the tower & Graphics card. ATi or NVidia...
its just a stock cheap hp computer. i think its possible the power supply not pushing enough power because we did leave the monitor on 24/7 before and this does happen often when we use it lot. when we dont it actually stays on for awhile then gives out.

Originally Posted by spinplay01
Parce que Windows 7, car RTM7600, a ont des problèmes avec les pilotes nVidia. Il est à la fois Windows 7 et nVidia problème. Je sais ce que vous pensez que le logiciel normalement ne cause pas les pannes matérielles mais ils le font. Windows 7 avec les anciennes nVidia W7 pilotes gouttes la vitesse du ventilateur du ventilateur/radiateur de niveaux dangereusement bas. cartes nVidia, ne pas émettre des avertissements sur gpu température au client sauf si vous installez un programme d'avertissement.
Constante surchauffe causes les cartes nVidia à l'échec, et c'est pourquoi tant de cartes nVidia sont connus pour être modèle-défectueux. J'ai entendu certains problèmes avec les cartes ATI sur W7 avec la même cause et les effets trop. Aussi, Windows 7 a une puissance différente du plan de gestion de Vista qui a été connu pour provoquer quelques lourde ponction sur le pouvoir fournitures. Le moins cher la qualité d'alimentation, probablement hood de il surchauffe due à un montant plus élevé de cerveaux.

^That is what most people hear when you try to explain a computer problem.

Always start to diagnose a problem with the simple/most probable causes.

Sometimes the most simplistic problems cause us to waste hours.

Have you checked that your VGA/DVI/HDMI is securely fastened on both monitor and tower?

Is the moniter fully plugged in?

Do you have a puppy that may have had access to cables?

I second the idea of trying a different monitor and cable before going further.
^^^exactly what goes through my head when i read some of these post haha but i will try replug everything and test a different monitor. i will check graphics card later. but im almost sure that its my power supply. i think my power supple is 350 watt like most stock computers
Old 08-04-2010, 04:08 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
Originally Posted by BoOm
Spin, have you seen the quotes on my post? It was not to the OP. Have you read my FIRST post?

And have you also read the original post here? The OP had a fresh copy of W7 installed which . Can you install a fresh copy of W7(barring slipstream) without a monitor? So would "Is the 'moniter' fully plugged in?" hold any water?

That's just like calling tech support.
Without the problem at hand directly in front of you, any soultion is a guess.

Though not alway the case, it is proven that the solution with the fewest assumtions is most likely correct.

Assuming that there is an actual problem with something is the first asumption.

Which scientifically and mathematically make it less likely. Without favortism or greater weight, the simplest (the hypothesis that creates the fewest assumptions and involves the fewest entities while having the possibility of correcting a problem) is most likely.

There is usually some form of rhyme and reason to my logic.
Though I will admidt brain farting on the regular.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:51 PM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
Originally Posted by 4080wrx
*cough *cough buy a Mac *cough *cough
I bought an i7 Imac 27",..it died 2 weeks later,...black screen only even though the CPU/OS was still fine per plugging in a 2nd monitor thru the VGA port..

Bought the warranty tho and from Ala Moana store, and I get the new 27" I7 when they come in in a few weeks...New architechture on the chip and new touch pad instead of the mouse...noice!!

Quick Reply: Anyone a computer guru? I have a problem.