Anyone with in car camera mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 04:52 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
Anyone with in car camera mounts?

i'd like to see them in person if anyone has em. i have a canon mini DV that i want to mount inbetween my headrests. the mounts i seen online have brackets clamping on to the headrest area. won't work on my seats.

so if you got em i'd like to see em. i need ideas on how to make my ownthanks.

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 12-08-2004, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Gotta put a rollcage up to make it easy

That got me thinking...couldn't you take apart a camera tripod and use just the top part that screws into the camera and somehow mount that piece to be able to quick disconnect from whatever you mount it on?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:22 PM

^^ yep thats my thoughts exactly.. but before i do a hack-job i'd like to see if anyone here has made one. its tricky cuz my seats aren't stock. as a matter of fact i don't think the STi seats can fit the conventional mounts anyway. and i'm not too keen about suction cups either. i want that windshield/driver first person view.

Old 12-08-2004, 05:51 PM

Car Info: cars
i'll show you my idea later. i know we've talked about it before. i'm gonna probably make one x-mas weekend after i finalize my design.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
or get a harness bar like the speedware one and then it is a pretty simple mount.

i got one. b
Old 12-08-2004, 06:18 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
http://www.chasecam.com/mounts-suction.htm I'm gonna get one now that I got a camera.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Mount it to the side of your helmet
Old 12-08-2004, 07:02 PM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
here's a pic of one i made years ago...someone thought it was cool, so i guess he posted it on his website...

cost me about 10 bucks to make, not including the cost of the tripod mount...

just got some angle stock from lowes, some 3/8" threaded rod, and washers and wing nuts...

i wasnt able to use regular u bolts, as they werent shallow enough...so i made my own u bolts with the threaded rod...i seen some variations where no tripod head was used, but with they way my seats are angled, the camera would be pointing to the headliner...so the tripod head mounts directly to my mount, and it's pretty cool, as i can adjust it for the PERFECT picture...or make it face the rear so i can see all the cars i pass ...

since it spans the width of the 2 headrests, the chances of the bolts failing and the contraption getting under the brake pedal is slim...it'll just fall into the rear passenger area...i also backed it up with some long velcro straps which is a secondary safety measure to secure the camera from coming off the mount...of course if you copy what i did, and it fails and the camera rolls under your brake pedal at the end of the straightaway and you die a horrible firey death, it's not my fault...also note, some racing associations will not allow this kind of mickey-mouse camera mount- but every venue here let mine pass...

the picture comes out pretty nice, it is a little shaky at times, but tolerable (yes, it had image stabiliztaion)...and since then, i've used a smaller/lighter camera which helps it a bit...one suggestion though, use a external mic, and place it in the engine bay or in the trunk near the exhaust...at an autocross, it's work good and you can hear the engine sounds okay, but at a track day all i'd hear would be wind noise...

after a while, the novelty of it wears off, and i never use it anymore...and no i wont sell it to you, but i can help you make your own if you want
Attached Thumbnails Anyone with in car camera mounts?-jayg034.jpg  
Old 12-08-2004, 07:39 PM

Cool idea but won't work on a newer WRX or STI
Old 12-08-2004, 07:47 PM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
doh, forgot wont work on the seats...what about rear headrests? do they have posts? are there even rear headrests in the wrx/sti???

at least i know it'll work on the older RSs...

if not, then i think bdrifts harnessbar is the way to go...
Old 12-08-2004, 07:52 PM

It would be perfect on a 02/03 they still had headrests... I kinda wish the 04/05 did it would be easier to make your own mount..
Old 12-09-2004, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by poser
doh, forgot wont work on the seats...what about rear headrests? do they have posts? are there even rear headrests in the wrx/sti???
i have JIC Magic Seats. . . i'd rather not get a harness bar(unless i really really have to) jeremiah, i seen that website but i have a mental complex when it comes to putting weight on my windshield, plus the view wouldn't be what i prefer to see. i am planning on getting foot cams and possibly rear cam too.

b, once i get some real free time i will meet up with you to see your setup.
ty, if we make one i really would like a "stealth"/streamline mount- kinda ironic since my camera is silver and shiny<---- black powdercoat??

Old 12-09-2004, 01:08 AM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
just use a tripod and some zip-ties. you guys are making it too complicated. or maybe tie a tripod to the roof...yea thats the way to go.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:36 AM

Car Info: cars
b_drift's setup is nice. i was considering going that way, but further in the future when my driving gets better and i need to get a 4-point harness.

greg- my setup is going to be pretty simple and easy to remove. right now i'm trying to figure out a way to restrain the front to back movement a little better. and i was planning on painting it either gray or black.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:42 AM

It wouldn't be a issue for me my camera weighs like 1-1.5lbs if that and the mount can't be that heavy..Don't sweat it..

Quick Reply: Anyone with in car camera mounts?