Any one running a Quick Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
Originally Posted by STiAlain
I'm looking specifically for someone running it in a GD.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:55 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
This thread got fun.

Anyways, Q-Rack is finally installed in the car... My initial thoughts:

It's great, honestly not as drastic of a change as I thought it was going to be. Very daily driveable, and I can't wait to run it at the next AutoX.

Install is NOT difficult, if you have the right tool (Modified crescent wrench for the inner tie-rods, Thanks Jarred) and the CORRECT STEERING RACK!!!
Also, I don't remember who you are, but there was somebody at the dent day who kept telling me that it would be an all day job, a pain in the ***, and that I'd have to undo motor mounts and jack the motor up. I didn't believe you then and I would like to report back that you were 100% incorrect, so don't be afraid to install one now.

My Experience with Q-Rack however, was not a pleasant one. I'm not here to put anyone on blast (yet), but I know that most of you already know my experience and when I thought it couldn't get any worse, it did. He will be getting a nice call and a bill from me shortly.

If you want to order one, go for it. Buyer beware, your service experience will probably suck. Don't hold your breath for it to show up. Hopefully, your experience will be different.

I know many of you PM'd me to "Test it out" and we'll see. Maybe I'll show up to a meat soon and take some of you for a ride.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:49 PM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
Congrats! Hope its was well worth the wait and it works towards your benefit at autox!
see ya next week.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:16 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
A meat would be an awesome place to sit inside your q-rack equipped car, then an identical non q-rack equipped car.
tho, i'd love to just turn the wheel at the next autox to see how much faster it is. i'd have to seriously think about getting it for the GC since rallyx manouvers with the stock rack sucks.
Old 02-28-2012, 03:21 PM

Since I got some new street tires, some fun runs will probably be in order at the next event.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:08 AM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
Originally Posted by corytomo
A meat would be an awesome place to sit inside your q-rack equipped car, then an identical non q-rack equipped car.
tho, i'd love to just turn the wheel at the next autox to see how much faster it is. i'd have to seriously think about getting it for the GC since rallyx manouvers with the stock rack sucks.
I could just let you give mine a spin at the next rallycross event.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 PM

Yeah, drive Jareds car in the dirt. No way you're gonna take mine. I hit a bad bump last night and the car threw a CEL.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:16 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
jared, will do!
cel??? you gonna make it to autox?
Old 03-01-2012, 12:48 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Originally Posted by YuudaiSTI
Also, I don't remember who you are, but there was somebody at the dent day who kept telling me that it would be an all day job, a pain in the ***, and that I'd have to undo motor mounts and jack the motor up. I didn't believe you then and I would like to report back that you were 100% incorrect, so don't be afraid to install one now.

I stand corrected! Steering racks are scary =(
Old 03-01-2012, 01:08 PM

Car Info: 1998 RS STi
Originally Posted by Krang
If everything did go smoothly he would have been done in like 2 hours.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Krang
Don't worry, it wasn't you I was thinking of Ryan. Although, if you thought it was that bad then you were wrong. Super easy install. Like Jared said, I would have been done much sooner if I had all the correct parts.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM

After a week of driving with the Q-Rack I have more observations to report.

It sucks to park with this thing. It is quite a bit harder to turn the wheel, especially at a stand still. Driving slow in a parking stall is kind of a PITA, I'm sure I'll get used to it as it isn't unbearable.

AutoX:

I love it. That's it. I had a bit of snap over steer and over correction my first couple of runs but on my 3rd and 4th I was able to get the feel for it and it is awesome. Totally worth the wait and drama with Tibor.

On a side note, last I talked with the company, they have stopped taking orders until they can catch up with their current orders. I waited almost 4 months and I guess I'm not alone. So if you want to order, you may want to wait until they are ready to get going again.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:43 PM

Car Info: Bugeye Wagon - VF39'd
FWIW I've been DDing mine for about 4-5 years now and can't imagine going back to a slowrack. I'm permanently wedded to Subaru because of this rack. Parking is easy, just think ahead and let it roll a bit while turning the wheel. My mom doesn't like driving my car though, she says it's too "twitchy," but she's also over 60.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 PM

Bump from the dead! But I didn't think this deserves its own thread. Here is a video that I said I was going to make forever ago but never got around to it. The top left corner is Avery in his 05 STi w/ Stock Steering. The bottom is myself in my car with the Q-Rack. You can see the difference for sure. Enjoy!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
Awesome! Even in sequence for a long while there!

Quick Reply: Any one running a Quick Rack?