Alternative to Custom Tuning...Cobb AP Owners Read on...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:34 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
so far three of us...

me, Zillig04 and my Cousin...all I can say is wow...

Haven't thrown a single CEL since buying the maps and my power from idle to redline is awesome...

My engine is smoother and much more powerful...smooth powerband, and never been happier with a mod...
Old 05-21-2006, 12:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Seems like a good solution for you guys stuck out there
I'd still get a map made for your specific car if possible since each engine is different.

Originally Posted by Island Style
The PDX Protune maps and the Cobb Base/real-time maps cannot coexist on the AP at the same time. So what PDX normally does is not only send you your Protuned map but also a low boost/high boost/valet/anti-theft etc....PDX maps.
Does that apply to all protune maps or just the ones from PDX? Gracias.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:34 AM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
Yeah,..there is a thread on this on LegacyGT.com as well,..

There are Cobb, Harmon, TDC, and PDX maps out there for the AP for the Legacy,..Seems everyone is real happy with the PDX maps though.

Better than just listing your mods,..if you have a way to log your car from 3-7k in 3rd gear (what they ask for as well as your list of mods), they can make a more car specific map for you.

I got an AP with several manufacturer maps on them and will try PDX's $150 tune as soon as I do a log,..

Kevin
Old 05-21-2006, 11:28 AM

The recommendation I was given prior to purchasing my maps

was to list all my mods, get the maps, then grab a datalog or two doing what abakja above said...send it in and they would do adjustments at that time if needed....

They provided a link to the datalog program.

I received a set of 6 or 7 (can't remember) PDX maps...I think it was 1 basemap and 6 real-time maps.

Anyhow, I'm real pleased with mine...
Old 05-21-2006, 12:20 PM
banned

Car Info: .
Here's some help:

Here is a link to the datalogging program.
http://www.tari.co.za/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl

You can use your AP cable.
I've been using street tuner for quite some time, and I can tell you that all they can really do is alter ignition timing and maybe the closed loop settings to zero your trims out.

With the absence of a wideband, they're most likely just going to check your long term trims and your knock correction to make sure you're using all of your advance.

In order to get the most from the pdx tune, you really need to send them a wideband datalog, although it's not completely necessary.

The synergy between a/f and ignition is difficult to get to peak potential without knowing each. The datalogger will allow them to see your closed loop fuel settings, which pertains to part throttle driveability, and your total ignition timing and dynamic advance.
And then they can keep raising your KC to maximize your dynamic advance, but I'm not certain how much back and forth altering they will do for you.

When you do datalog, make sure to use the advance reset trick to make sure your IAM goes back to normal.

Hope this is helpful.

What's up, Kev.
I still have your Eclipse, albeit it's really a track car, but now there's no track.
Full boost by 5800rpm....it's kind of crazy and 880s at 100% duty cycle at 27psi.
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~rsunahar/6.JPG
http://www2.hawaii.edu/~rsunahar/14.JPG

Last edited by reid-o; 05-21-2006 at 12:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:43 PM
vaj

Car Info: 2004 Big Booty STi with a two finger gap.
Alrighty then.. So, the best way to do this is:
1. Buy Accessport.
2. Run COBB map for a bit, let ECU learn.
3. List mods, Log with the Tari software, borrow WBO2 if possible and log.
4. Send list and logs to PDX.
5. Get maps.
6. Run map for a bit, let ECU learn.
7. Possible adjustments to long term trims and knock correction for Advance Multiplier from PDX.

Sounds good! I plan on getting the StreetTuner software but not for a little bit. My car's drivetrain and Engine mods will be the same until late in the year. Most of my mod's will be suspension/frame stiffening until then.

Glad to hear that Hawaii peeps are happy with the PDX maps. Thanks for all your responses.

One more paycheck and its "MYRON'SPERFORMANCE" time!
Old 05-22-2006, 12:55 PM
banned

Originally Posted by vaj
Alrighty then.. So, the best way to do this is:
1. Buy Accessport.
2. Run COBB map for a bit, let ECU learn.
3. List mods, Log with the Tari software, borrow WBO2 if possible and log.
4. Send list and logs to PDX.
5. Get maps.
6. Run map for a bit, let ECU learn.
7. Possible adjustments to long term trims and knock correction for Advance Multiplier from PDX.

Sounds good! I plan on getting the StreetTuner software but not for a little bit. My car's drivetrain and Engine mods will be the same until late in the year. Most of my mod's will be suspension/frame stiffening until then.

Glad to hear that Hawaii peeps are happy with the PDX maps. Thanks for all your responses.

One more paycheck and its "MYRON'SPERFORMANCE" time!

Like I said, I don't know how much "correction" PDX will do.
I'm curious how much 150 will get you.
Since they're sending the maps in Protuner format, you will not know what was done and a lot may be placebo.
You'd have to log your ignition timing and long term trims and A/F to see if any changes were made. Even if only minimal changes are made, I'm not going to say it's not worth it.

I doubt much alteration will occur, but for 150, if it gains 10hp or so by getting you a few degrees more advance, or even to get your a/f into a decent range, then I guess it's worth it if you're not willing to tune on your own. 150 for 8-10 hp is around 15 dollars per horsepower, still a bargain.

If you do log, please post before and after.
I'd like to see the changes if possible.

It's interesting that, even the off shelf Cobb Stage 2, has very minimal changes made to the fuel tables, although it has major changes to the boost tables. It's basically leaned out a tad in certain areas, but ignition is "basically" like stock.
You're paying all that money for a slightly leaned out map, and it still runs rich.
But it is the best bang for buck hands down for most suby platforms, so what can you do?

Last edited by reid-o; 05-22-2006 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:10 PM
vaj

^^ Very true. I am willing to tune my own, but I know when I'm gonna be over budget on something. I hope that for $150, plus cost of Accessport, the maps will provide a good starting point I'll be happy with for a few months. And also a good starting point to "tweak" on when I have the other 6-800 for the StreetTuner software and a good WBO2 unit. I've been tweaking on my XEDE for years but with no real reference cept the old buttdyno I've just made my car as smooth as possible, with a good boost curve. I did very little messing with anything but boost and maf tables, just getting a good range of Exhaust Temps and boost response. Caveman, I know, but my car has been (mostly) happy.

Mostly, I'm looking forward to moving to the latest gen. of tuning. The XEDE was very good, but is no longer well supported for Subies. (Gonna try and sell it to an EVO person, v. well supported for that platform.)

$150 is not really a lot of $$, even for a small hp gain. Still a bargain imho. When I do this (early June for AP, late June for logs and PDX) I'll post up what I've got log-wise for all to share.

Until we get an AWD Dyno, we use what we have....shoots.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:14 PM
banned

Originally Posted by vaj
^^ Very true. I am willing to tune my own, but I know when I'm gonna be over budget on something. I hope that for $150, plus cost of Accessport, the maps will provide a good starting point I'll be happy with for a few months. And also a good starting point to "tweak" on when I have the other 6-800 for the StreetTuner software and a good WBO2 unit. I've been tweaking on my XEDE for years but with no real reference cept the old buttdyno I've just made my car as smooth as possible, with a good boost curve. I did very little messing with anything but boost and maf tables, just getting a good range of Exhaust Temps and boost response. Caveman, I know, but my car has been (mostly) happy.

Mostly, I'm looking forward to moving to the latest gen. of tuning. The XEDE was very good, but is no longer well supported for Subies. (Gonna try and sell it to an EVO person, v. well supported for that platform.)

$150 is not really a lot of $$, even for a small hp gain. Still a bargain imho. When I do this (early June for AP, late June for logs and PDX) I'll post up what I've got log-wise for all to share.

Until we get an AWD Dyno, we use what we have....shoots.

Just FYI:
Protuner maps cannot be altered by StreetTuner, unless they save it for you in streettuner basemap format, which they won't, so if you do get StreetTuner, you won't be able to begin from their map as a base.
It's their way of keeping their maps secret.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Version 7.5 2002 STi
Exactly, $150 for even 10hp gain is a good deal considering the amount of useless mods people put in their cars anyway that add 0hp and can cost even more than that.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:35 PM

I can tell you...

my maps that I received from PDX are good for much more than 10hp...two others I know of locally - Jared and my cousin Dan can verify...my car is a new beast with these maps as are theres...

...and before anyone chimes in about hard numbers and requesting proof...I don't have any...and I can't get any on the island here...

Last edited by Island Style; 05-22-2006 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:39 PM
vaj

Originally Posted by reid-o
Just FYI:
Protuner maps cannot be altered by StreetTuner, unless they save it for you in streettuner basemap format, which they won't, so if you do get StreetTuner, you won't be able to begin from their map as a base.
It's their way of keeping their maps secret.
ORLY? Wow, ok. That makes good business sense but for the enduser... hmm. Ok. That puts me at a bit of a crossroads BUT I still think that $150 is not that bad. Especially in light of what Sykosis said. VERY true. PDX still makes since I'd like to ease my way into the Street Tuner and STILL have a fun car in the meantime. Thanks for the pro-tips on the map issue. I assume you can save the PDX maps and at least be able to compare a$$meter readings from PDX to my own "tune."
Old 05-22-2006, 01:58 PM
banned

my maps that I received from PDX are good for much more than 10hp...two others I know of locally - Jared and my cousin Dan can verify...my car is a new beast with these maps as are theres...

...and before anyone chimes in about hard numbers and requesting proof...I don't have any...and I can't get any on the island here...

I don't doubt you.

Can you please post up your before and after logs, the ones you originally sent to pdx and the after logs.
With the software, everyone can see how much alterations were done, and we all can also tell how much of a difference "generally" they are from the OTS Cobb Stage II, just for others here considering getting these maps.
I won't know whether they added to base or the knock tables, but at least we can all see your final numbers.

Last edited by reid-o; 05-22-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-22-2006, 02:09 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have any before's....

I was never asked to take any logs down prior to requesting my maps...just my mods...

I have been so ecstatic about my car running so well that I have not taken any datalogs as well...probably because I am having technical difficulties with my laptop...

It is a newer IBM with no serial port...and my two USB ports are burned out due to my dang Motorola Razor...

As soon as I find time to send in my laptop for repairs or find a friend with a laptop...I'll try to get an after...
Old 05-22-2006, 02:14 PM
banned

I was never asked to take any logs down prior to requesting my maps...just my mods...

I have been so ecstatic about my car running so well that I have not taken any datalogs as well...probably because I am having technical difficulties with my laptop...

It is a newer IBM with no serial port...and my two USB ports are burned out due to my dang Motorola Razor...

As soon as I find time to send in my laptop for repairs or find a friend with a laptop...I'll try to get an after...

When you have time, I think it would just be good information overall.

Do you have an intake as well? If you do, please also post up your a/f corrections and g/sec.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Alternative to Custom Tuning...Cobb AP Owners Read on...