8/29 Scca Solo Ii

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 12:47 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: heavy, stock power, slow, perfect
whew. found out the hard way that the tires larry saw at eurosport were for gene and the rims were for ken. gene kicked my butt with his new shoes.

good running again pat.

course was fun, but not as open as it first seemed and it was a little messy feeling. i think i came close to taking out the timing lights on my last run.

can't wait for test n tune day. gonna lower my car and mess with camber. yay. b

ps. i left early not because i was mad, but because i had to go win the rcdrift contest at the streetcar showoff. if for some remote reason anyone cared.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:58 AM

I only managed a 62.2. SM is turning out to be a killer class. Congrats to all the suby crew ! Gonna miss the test and tune because of saturday classes, but hopefully I'll be coming out to the next event with a "real" alignment and not this
-1degree BS.
Old 08-30-2004, 04:56 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: "the loud one"
i came 5 minutes late after lunch...so i couldn't register....*sigh*....crap.....anyway...i'll try make it out to the test and tune....anyone know how to pre-register??? i forgot how...
Old 08-30-2004, 11:47 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by islandx
I only managed a 62.2. SM is turning out to be a killer class. Congrats to all the suby crew ! Gonna miss the test and tune because of saturday classes, but hopefully I'll be coming out to the next event with a "real" alignment and not this
-1degree BS.

haha. i know what you mean about the lack of alignment. i still gotta get one. i think my car has about -1 deg in the front only. ken vo was looking puzzled when he saw that. i used to get negative from the eccentric bolt, but i had to straighten it up because of coilover clearance but i didn't put the negative back through the camber plates. oh well. still waiting for my tires anyways.

whoa. if colin didn't get the cone, he would've beaten curtis and taken #1 on his second run.

good running poser. and ditch. why'd you have to hit that cone. that would've been good.

b
Old 08-30-2004, 10:41 PM

Car Info: 2007 7.0RS
Originally Posted by b_drift
good running poser.
b
still not fast enough as you though...but i never PAX'ed that high before ...did you win the r/c drift competition on sunday (do i even need to ask)???

pat- i think i forgot to thank you for your comments...sorry to have been rude, musta been the heat...so THANX!!!
Old 08-31-2004, 12:00 AM

I was pretty much feeling like crap (tail end of a cold) so between that and the heat I was very unsocial. My main goal was to avoid hitting solid objects (cones don't count) and at least add on some points for the year.
My other goal was to get a feel for the suspension with street tires. This allowed me to push close to the edge of traction and see how the car responded.

I won't be able to make Test & Tune, but I'll be out in October with my race rubber hopefully posting better times.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:07 AM

Congrats Pat and everyone who left me in the dust! Can't wait for the next event, just got the rest of my suspension and my race rubber w/ rims should be here for the next event. Damn, can't wait for one of you guys to de-throne Curtis. I think it's time!

A hui hou,
Larry
Old 08-31-2004, 12:37 AM

Car Info: '97 Legacy 2.5GT sedan
I was definitely worried about retaining my "crown", SM's getting too close for comfort! I finished up my last run and had relieved at Radio #9 when Barry and Ken V.O. were both doing their re-runs at the end of the heat - I was afraid one of you guys would pull off a quicker run (especially when Ken did back-to-back runs so he was on warm, grippy tires!), but in the end I was OK.

As for my afternoon experiment in my brother's car, as soon as I finished my first run I knew my thoughts of beating out Curtis in PAX were foolish. I would have needed a high 60.xxx to match his PAX time, and my first run was a mid 65. I then realized I had forgotten to adjust the damping on the Konis at all, so I firmed them up and adjusted the tire pressures a bit and my remaining 3 runs were all in the 64.0 - 64.1 range - good enough to have won STS by over 5.5sec if I had been "official", but there's not a snowball's chance in hell I could clip another 3sec off that time. I have a better chance of catching him in raw time with the Legacy.

Had some bad luck after the event - my right rear V700 went flat around dinner time (still not sure why, can't find anything - maybe a bad valve stem?), so I swapped back over to my street wheels/tires. As I pulled the Kumhos/Volks off I found a nail in up to the head in the left rear (still holding air - for now...) and possibly a small nail in one of the fronts (it's in the tread block, head's worn off, can't tell how deep it goes). Tire Rack's site says the V710s are supposed to be available 9/15 in my size, so hopefully they'll ship them out quickly and I can get those mounted up in time for the TnT day. Otherwise I might see about trying some of the new Avon Tech R's in a 225/45-15 (vice the 205/50-15 V710s or my current 225/50-15 V700s). We shall see...

Anyway, I'm pre-registered for the TnT day, looking forward to playing around a little bit. I think I may install some different rear springs to get the car a bit more loose - I have the 325# springs that used to be up front sitting in the garage. Right now I'm 310# front/280# rear, but I'm curious how 310f/325r would feel.

Well done to all the Subaru crew...

Pat
Old 08-31-2004, 01:15 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by poser
still not fast enough as you though...but i never PAX'ed that high before ...did you win the r/c drift competition on sunday (do i even need to ask)???

pat- i think i forgot to thank you for your comments...sorry to have been rude, musta been the heat...so THANX!!!
yeah, got lucky and won the contest. my side of the tree was stacked against me since the GF was a judge and gave me a 3!!!!!(lower than the other judge) sheesh, i was 3rd qualifier.

i went against jerry (damn good driver) with a hana hou sudden death to determine a winner. then dave with his good gripping car who would've beaten me if he didn't spin. then shawn with his car hooking up well, we went for about 5 sudden death's. i finally put together 2 good clean runs and won.

car is going funny though as i spilled soda on my controller. i just ordered a new fishing pole radio today. bling bling.

too bad you weren't there. it would've been good. oh well. b