200 TDK Blank DVDs for $41

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 07:21 PM

Car Info: 08 Nissan Titan, 12 MazdaSpeed 3, 15 Honda CRV
200 TDK Blank DVDs for $41

Maybe too late if they havent sold out yet though and I just got home to write this,..

But Costco has Buy 1 get 1 free TDK Dvd +/- for $41, but you gotta have the coupon,...The cashier maybe nice to give you one though if you dont,..but best bet is to have that coupon they mailed with the coupon book months ago,..

Kevin
Old 08-15-2005, 07:27 PM

Car Info: 2011 White Forester.
sounds like a good deal... btw, what's the writing speed? thx
Old 08-15-2005, 07:32 PM

Its only 8X,...not the fastest,..but good enough to burn "stuff" on for the price,.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:33 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
Iwilei still has a whole bunch left. picked up my 200 this afternoon.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:51 PM

Car Info: car
wow, thanks for the tip!
Old 08-16-2005, 02:41 AM

Car Info: 09 WrX Pearl White 5dr hb / 04 Wrx White
thats a good deal.....anyone know how to copy movies? im planning to buy a external dvd burner and what is the good brand?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:38 AM

Car Info: car
id get an internal, its cheaper and and is direct to ur ide on ur motherboard..... internal drives are not even hard to install and it looks cleanner in my opinion. drives also have a universal size jus like how cars have a universal din size when it comes to head units. trust me its reallly easy to install. plug and play.

i like sony brands, but what sony does is it buys drives from other companies like "lite on" or "plextor" or somethin like that and puts a sony sticker... hp, pionneer, name brands are good. i dont like mad cats or whatever they are. the generic dvd drives i had crapped out me, it wasnt burning from the middle of the cd any more, it would start further outwards of the disc.

compusa has a internal sony dual later + - 16x burner for 89.99 after rebates. pretty good drive. if u have somthin like an i-mac u can only get external. i had a macintosh g3 and put in an IDE windows base cd burner and it worked fine. jus need the software... i thought id add that in case u have a macintosh. not too sure with external drives nowadays but i feel that internal drives are more reliable. jus my .02 on that cuz i had bad experience with externals back in the cd-rw days.. that was a while tho, never had usb yet hahaha.

dvd recordables normally can not fit a pressed dvd movie in one cd so u would need to compress the dvd. i use a program called dvd shrink, pretty straight foraward. it automatically compresses dvds for u. of course, the quality of the copied dvds wont be as good as the original, its still really nice...

u could also go a more expensive route by using dvd-9 media or dual layer media and have a burner that can support it. the difference is that it has a second layer that can be burnt which gives it more data space then a dvd-5(the regular ones, single layer...) dvd. i believe that a 15 pack of dual layer media is like 73.00 bux at best buy. so yea i don think u wanna go that way...

its also good to have a very fast machine as video encoding time is dependant on processor speed and memory. when u use dvd shrink, ur encoding the vids to a lower smaller file. obviously the faster the machine the faster the encoding.

dvd shrink is freeware... heres a link to their site where u can download it. i hope u have a windows pc cuz that program is for windows.

http://www.dvdshrink.org

sorry for the long post but i hope thats enough to get u started...hehe

Last edited by juniorsti; 08-16-2005 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:13 PM

What?? Making DVD movie "backups"?? Hmmm,...I wouldnt know how to do that,...but you can check out this link,...

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/guides.htm

As for getting a dvd burner,..look for one that is reliable and wont make coasters,...I got a NEC 3520 from zipzoomfly.com for like $60-$70 shipped and havent been disappointed yet,..Rated up to 16X, but so far Ive been burning at 8x since that the max type DVD blanks I have,..Reviews have burned at 12X with no problems,..I think locally you cant find a better deal at CompUSA or Circuit City, although the Lite-On is ok,..but more expensive..

Only thing is, its OEM,..that means no box or instructions, just new dvd drive,..but simple enough to plug in and use since Windows identifies it anyways,...Prices have dropped since, so you can probably get it cheaper and there maybe better ones out there,..
Old 08-18-2005, 02:09 AM

Car Info: 09 WrX Pearl White 5dr hb / 04 Wrx White
thanks for the info.... the reason im buying the external dvd burner is i have a loptop.... i will try to make a copy of movies, just for my personal collections....