08 STi for a 13 WRX?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:45 AM

Car Info: '13 Xrunner
Thanks for the input guys and the compliments too. I appreciate everyone's concern about the ringland issue as well as the miles. I don't know if the car has been modified because I haven't actually seen it in person yet. I think the biggest upside that I am seeing right now is that it is an STi for the price of a WRX.

****, I REALLY appreciate the offer but the fact of the matter is if I have any shot at convincing my wife that getting an STi is a good idea, it is going to be on this car's asking price. As much as I would love to trade in my car for a new STi, my wife would poop bricks if I told her what the sticker price is new.

Logically I feel this would be a good move because all the mods I want to do would eventually be to make my car a "made STi" instead of a authentic STi. So far I've swapped my brakes out for STi brakes and converted my mirrors to JDM mirrors with the STi markers. I already have been looking into converting my center console, getting a better TMIC than the finicky WRX TM and doing more HP mods. At that rate, my trans will be the weak point and a 6 spd is very appealing to me.

Also, I still have all the stock parts so in theory, I could return my car to stock and instantly have a stage 2, lowered STi with JDM mirrors for the whatever JN will low ball me on my practically new WRX.

Gosh, I know I should just be happy with what I have but the modding bug bit me and it bit me hard. I just can seem to justify further modding my WRX for it to basically be a STi that could've been bought off of the showroom floor.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:03 AM

Car Info: 2013 STI SWP
Hey man, You already sound like you know what you want to do. So welcome to the STi Club 38k on the car, just make sure you get a compression and oil sample check then should be all good.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
pm'd you...I know you are an STI man at heart...but you can't deny the awesome, new(ness) of your car...you know your car in and out...and modded it from the beginning...beautiful ride man.

Every used car will have it's issues...if you are willing to trade your flawless car for a much older, used "performance" car that the unknown previous owner could have done who know's what to-then traded it in or worse, was bought at auction by JN...be ready to do some fixing and wrenching...it comes with the territory...

It may be a virgin, or a ***** in disguise. Personally, I wouldn't trust what any of those guys at JN have to say about it...

Think about your "needs" and "wants"...

If you plan on keeping your car forever, we all thinks this btw...you are better off taking your loss, selling your WRX and buying a new STI...you will sleep better at night...

BTW...I know how you feel...I am and will always be an "STI" man at heart...
Old 05-22-2013, 01:06 PM

wow, not one yay for the swap huh? I guess I'll have to do some deep thinking on this one. I appreciate everyone's input and will definitely take it into consideration.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:07 PM

So I purchased a carfax for the STi and it turns out that it's had 4 owners, been in an accident involving the front right corner and has been stolen once. I think I'm gonna pass on this one. However, I think if a good GR STi hatch pops up, I might have to make the switch. For what my long term goals are, it just makes sense to get the 6 speed now. Thanks for all the help i-clubbers!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:45 PM

Car Info: The Bus, Country Express Fool!
Originally Posted by the_truth
So I purchased a carfax for the STi and it turns out that it's had 4 owners, been in an accident involving the front right corner and has been stolen once.
Damn, that car has been passed around a lot. An accident and reported stolen. More than likely whoever stole it drove the hell out of it. This is why I will never buy a car from JN ever! I hate the way the salesman hang out around the gazebo like a bunch of vultures.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
what long term goals do you have that the 5spd won't accomplish? everyone has their preference i guess and mine has always been for the 5spd but what specifically are you going to do that the 6spd is better suited for?
Old 05-26-2013, 01:08 AM

Car Info: 2010 WRX
Originally Posted by the_truth
So I purchased a carfax for the STi and it turns out that it's had 4 owners, been in an accident involving the front right corner and has been stolen once. I think I'm gonna pass on this one. However, I think if a good GR STi hatch pops up, I might have to make the switch. For what my long term goals are, it just makes sense to get the 6 speed now. Thanks for all the help i-clubbers!
carfax doesn't show all... you DO NOT have to put info into carfax if your car has been in a wreck. carfax does a great job with advertising and makes everyone believe that business who fix your car and insurance companies HAVE TO disclose information about vehicles accidents.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by moto96793
carfax doesn't show all... you DO NOT have to put info into carfax if your car has been in a wreck. carfax does a great job with advertising and makes everyone believe that business who fix your car and insurance companies HAVE TO disclose information about vehicles accidents.
I think you misread my post. The carfax DID show that the car had been in a collision and WAS stolen. I understand what you are saying but it is completely irrelevant to my post.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:06 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS-T 2011 Forester Prem. SUBYS FTW
What he is saying is be careful to believing a clean car fax. He is right. We had a Honda we auctioned (carfax said it was clean) at auction we found it had frame damage. Have someone still check it out. And know what to look for. You win some you lose some
Old 05-28-2013, 02:10 AM

thanks ****, was just trying to point something out.

the_truth, sorry for going off post, but you don't really want to hear my honest opinion on your post, cause that will really offend you.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:52 PM

Car Info: 3 Sleepers: 05 LGT, 05 FXT, 02 WRX
Forgot to mention that about CarFax...through my trials and tribulations of buying and selling cars, I figured out along the way that there are so many ways to avoid having any information being placed on Carfax...

Here is just one...let's say you get into an accident and your Uncle does body repair and paint on the side...your car gets fixed and nobody other than you and your Uncle know...

I used Carfax as a general information tool, but relied on my eye and intuition to do the majority of the detective work...including Psychology...

Looks like you did the same...nice job on the detective work.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:50 PM

Thanks Island, carfax was just a means for me to hopefully find something that I or my mechanic couldn't. I never intended for it to be my only means of looking over the car. Thanks moto and **** for your words of wisdom. I appreciate the help.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:34 PM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
Originally Posted by moto96793
thanks ****, was just trying to point something out.

the_truth, sorry for going off post, but you don't really want to hear my honest opinion on your post, cause that will really offend you.
i want to hear it
Old 05-28-2013, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by 04sleeper
i want to hear it
buy another part from me so we can meet up again, then i'll tell ya face to face... ps FEEDBACK for bpv.

the_truth, you should write a list with what you feel is important to you. having one row for pros and one row with cons for both vehicles. sometimes, when written down on paper, you will be able to better make your decisions that way. I used to be a army recruiter and it was one of the tools i used to get people to make commitments ON THE SPOT! truth comes out when you put it in black and white. sit down and talk to your wife as well, she maybe able to point something else you missed. really man, to each his own, at the end of the day all that really matters is that you make a decision that will benefit you most in the long run vs a band aid that will only cure your wants temporarily.

Quick Reply: 08 STi for a 13 WRX?