$200 Track upgrade..?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:58 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
^^ hey jon. i must say that is the best advice i have heard yet...
it wasn't until i asked people like ty, kyle, nate and shane to help me... and i realized how inadequate i felt not contributing. so i took ty's advice and bought some tools to start... grant it i am still a nOOb in terms of wrenching a car... but i'm learning. i say buy tools and still buy those steering bushings... now that 30 bucks that feels like you spent so much more!

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 02-02-2005, 10:07 PM

Car Info: 51E LHD V7 STI (2.0)
here I found a decent set that you could pick up for under $200 before tax of course... This is the biggest set that will include most of everything you will need and some of what you will not need.

$199.99 http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00933246000

here is what is in the set: http://www.sears.com/download/misc/33246DOC.pdf

or so you can get those $30 bushings

$149.99 http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...=CRAFT#tablink

Jon

Last edited by iNfEk; 02-02-2005 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:36 PM

Car Info: White on Gold STi
Save your money as entrance fees for track events and make yourself a better driver.

Mike

Last edited by 18hrwrx; 02-02-2005 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:05 PM

Car Info: cars
Originally Posted by gdogg
so i took ty's advice and bought some tools to start...
tools are important! know your car before you start heavily modding it. you never know when something will happen and you'll be stuck because no one is around to help you out.

i recommend the following:

1. ask around for advice on how to drive your car, i.e. ask the guys who always drag their cars for suggestions.
2. get more seat time behind your car. practice makes perfect.
3. learn the basics of your car before modding it. it'll help you make the right decisions on what path you want to take.

remember, whether you decide to wrench on your car or not, it still helps to have a small set of good tools in case something happens. my small set i keep in my car cost me around $60. take infek's advice and get some tools. you don't need anything big, but just the necessities.

hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:28 AM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
you can get a $30 kit at sears that has just about everything you need for a basic kit. sockets, wrenches, screwdriver, and small allen wrenches. it comes in a little case and will fit under your seat or in the trunk. great first set for someone who doesn't know much but comes in handy when you need to do stuff.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:48 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI/WRX Silver of course
I couldn't agree with your more Jon. Dan you have a STI get it out to a track event like Mike said trust me the car is way faster than you think. Driving on the street and on the track are two different things. Come out to the track day on the 24 so don't be scared because you have never did it all of us had a first track/Auto-X event. Hell my first track day I drove a RS it had only suspension mods crappy Kumho 712's and I had a blast had a M3 that couldn't get around me so I went home feeling good. The STI it a really great car stock. And yes tools are a great investment and also time in the car the way it is. The last track day I attended I had Egmar (most know who he is) come up to me and ask if my car had any mods and I said no it's bone stock and he was also in a stock STI and he said great driving I couldn't get by you and I respect this guy because he can drive in my opinion and that also made me feel real good. Try Auto-X I don't do it because I'm usually hung over on Sunday and I have a Autistic child that I usually spend my time off with because me and my wife work all week and I prefer the whole track and I don't get out there enough either..So take your $200 go to Sears pick up a nice Metric tool set and sell the BOV you have putt he stock one back on and that should net enough for some SS brake lines and next mod ditch the stock brake pads and get something else. A BOV does nothing I am sure you've heard and yes my first mod was a BOV too. And anytime you need help wrenching I am always willing to help there isn't much I won't try once.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:59 PM

Location: Houston, Texas "Drive it like you stole it.." 13.034 @ 105.19 mph
Car Info: Aspen White 04 STI, Silver 03 RS (wife's car)
Originally Posted by silver satin
I couldn't agree with your more Jon. Dan you have a STI get it out to a track event like Mike said trust me the car is way faster than you think. Driving on the street and on the track are two different things. Come out to the track day on the 24 so don't be scared because you have never did it all of us had a first track/Auto-X event. Hell my first track day I drove a RS it had only suspension mods crappy Kumho 712's and I had a blast had a M3 that couldn't get around me so I went home feeling good. The STI it a really great car stock. And yes tools are a great investment and also time in the car the way it is. The last track day I attended I had Egmar (most know who he is) come up to me and ask if my car had any mods and I said no it's bone stock and he was also in a stock STI and he said great driving I couldn't get by you and I respect this guy because he can drive in my opinion and that also made me feel real good. Try Auto-X I don't do it because I'm usually hung over on Sunday and I have a Autistic child that I usually spend my time off with because me and my wife work all week and I prefer the whole track and I don't get out there enough either..So take your $200 go to Sears pick up a nice Metric tool set and sell the BOV you have putt he stock one back on and that should net enough for some SS brake lines and next mod ditch the stock brake pads and get something else. A BOV does nothing I am sure you've heard and yes my first mod was a BOV too. And anytime you need help wrenching I am always willing to help there isn't much I won't try once.
Thanx, I went with APS exhaust... pulled money out of my *** or something.. But yeah I think brake lines next and omg definitely I need tools.. =) yes I am coming out to more track days.. I will be there tonight and Sunday.. but I cant cruise on Sat.. wife is making me go to the beach.. =(