General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

2008 WRX upgrade path suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 04:36 PM

Car Info: 2008 WR Blue WRX
2008 WRX upgrade path suggestions

I'm new to being active in the forum (I have a 02 2.5rs) and I just bought a 2008 WRX and I'm looking to chart out an upgrade path. I'm new to import modification so bear with me if some of my questions are noobile... (and the 08 aftermarket is still sparse)

My current goal as I have 300 miles on this car and the waranty is still going to be in effect for some time is to make upgrades that more enhance the driving experiance of my ride than the performance. That being said any gains are always welcome, and no power losses are acceptable. I've got a deployment scheduled in the next 9 months so I'm going to wait until I get back to start serious performance mods, as I'll have the budget and then some and I'll be able to do some really nice things right.

I think the first thing on my chopping block will be a new cat back exhaust, the stock exhaust is far too quiet and uninspiring. I'm looking for something with a nice growl that enhances the sound of the turbo and generally makes the car more fun to drive.

A new "ram air" or "cold air" intake is something I also need an edjumacation on. I understand that a cold air intake before a turbo makes about as much sense as a screen door on a submarine but they do tend to make things sound better. Are there solutions that actually net a gain (be it small) suggestions? advice?

Now I've done a little reading and from what I gather an atmospheric blow off valve is only going to cause me problems. I love the sound (not when people go over the top with trumpeted bovs, but a nice curt pssh when letting of the gas) are there solutions that are net net, no gain, no loss, no problems? I'm willing to forget this because I've got better things to spend my money on really.

A short throw shifter would be welcome as the factory 5 is annoying. a friend with some good experiance said to stay away from the STI short throw...

And last but not least (and not engine related) has anyone used the 3m clear guard stuff that goes along the bottom edges of the car to prevent as many dings and what not? After I'm more broken in she'll be seeing dirt and tarmac. I'll get over it all but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:50 PM

Car Info: '04 PSM Sti
i'm not sure if they have aftermarket 08 wrx cat-back out yet, someone correct me if i'm wrong, you might want to pick up the latest subiesport, perrin did some mods to a 08 wrx and i can't remember, but they might have a cat-back out by now that they installed on that wrx. for an intake i've got the k&N tyfoon, which i like and it sounds good, i think it gives you about a 12hp gain but again not sure if it will fit on a 08. for more "whoosh" sound from the stock by pass valve, you can do the sorkel delete mod which is easy and free. i don't know why your friend doesn't like the sti short throw, mine seems fine to me. and last but not least, i haven't used that clearbra protective film before, but it wouldn't be a bad idea. i'd get some mud flaps also, i hope i was some help to you.
________
Best Penny Stocks

Last edited by crfsti; 04-24-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:38 AM

Car Info: 04 Sti
There are ZERO exhaust kits available for the 08.. Trust me I've been looking. Cobb is going to come out with some soon, I heard. Gongrats on the new ride.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:28 AM

I just ordered mine from Scoobysport.nl

Comes from the UK, but they hav an agent in The Netherlands.

Just the end and centerpipe, not yey the down. Within a few weeks it should also be ready.

Last edited by Kris Nitro; 12-21-2007 at 04:43 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:52 AM

Car Info: N/A Forester 2013
Rallitek has a cat back out fot the 08 i think its made my AVO. All 08 owners might wanna check em out they have front and rear sway bars on there as well.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:08 PM

Car Info: 04 Sti
Cobb just released the AccessPORT for the 08 today.. I'm ordering the catted DP, light weight pulley along with the AP. I will let you know how it does.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:38 AM
banned

Car Info: 2004 STi
Edited because everyone thinks my replies are a type of trolling!